If you had superpowers, would you actually be a superhero?

I elaborated on this a sentence after that.

Stories, that’s the keyword, stories. They arw idealized and simplified person of reality, their logic does not apply to what would actually happens in real situations

It may not, but you can’t be trusted handle your own power, or is there a power crash course that I’m not aware of?
With irl logic, every time Superman tries to catch someone someone falling from the sky, they die. Every time Flash abruptly relocate people, they sustain heavy injuries and potentially die. If real world logic is applied when any “hero” tries to pull this off, 80% of the time the person they’re trying to save will be injured or die. Saving someone with superpowers is like trying to so heart surgery with a handgun, it’s risky and shouldn’t be tried. I didn’t imagine I have to say this 3 times, but nothing ever goes according to plan. That vision of you saving people with your cool new superpowers? That’s bullshit. You can just wait for the EMT or try to do first aid yourself, using powers are risky as you don’t know what it effects are when applied to specific situations

And there’s still plenty of times where a hero has been trained for the job. MHA specifically has hero schools, Flash and Kid Flash, Peter Parker and Miles Morales, and so on. For heroes that aren’t trained and have basically no experience, yeah it’s true they can make slip ups, something that is acknowledged by writers. (Seriously, have you even seen MCU Spider-Man?) MCU Spider-Man makes plenty of mistakes and does take consequences, but he also fixes them, which is what counts. I think for Superheroes that do start out with no experience do tend to get better generally.

And any well-written superhero can still tell a realistic story. Every well-written superhero can face very genuine and human struggles, good superhero stories aren’t “unrealistic”. I mean yeah stories in general can sometimes be a little idealistic but there’s plenty of realistic stories that mostly subvert that. If by logic you mean physics then you’d probably be right for a bit of it.

Yeah, stories don’t always follow physics, that’s true. But that isn’t the point of the story, it isn’t meant to be 200% deluxe realistic. Superhero stories are supposed to be tales of heroism, they show a person with awesome abilities using them to do good. It might be irrelevant to say this, but you can’t criticize stories for not being super realistic. Real life is different ofc but there are probably tons of powers and way to use said powers in real life to save people without hurting them. (like, what’s wrong with a guy using stretchy powers irl to catch a falling person or healing powers to help a sick grandma?)

So what, it’s better to just not try? With precognition, I could probably push a person out of the way of a bullet before it hits. Or with gravity manipulation I could stop a person from falling or slow their descent by reducing gravity for them or in their area. Even with more “physics-bound” powers like super speed and such there’s probably ways to get around it. One of the most defining features of a fair amount of superheroes is ingenuity and creativity and intelligence, and plenty of people in real life have those traits.

This.
This is why telekinesis is the best power.

It simply ignores physics to such a massive degree that you cannot make an argument for why it wouldn’t work.

yes

except if you get a headache

You specifically asked the people of this forum, you aren’t doing a hypothetical of a fictional universe, you’re talking about how it would apply to real people

This was literally the question, you asked real people about what they would do if they had powers

I answered how this is pointless on the above paragraph, but might as well. If you don’t know how precognition works, you could very well be the one pushing the person you’re trying save into the bullet. Gravity manipulation doesn’t work like that, you’re either reducing the gravitational force of the Earth itself, or you’re generating a different gravitational field that pulls in the opposite direction the Earth does.

Please, my tolerance is running thin. Don’t reply to this unless you have a logical argument to be made

summoning any material

In which scenario you’d have to assume that the person with precognition doesn’t know how to use it. If they developed said power before they likely would have some knowledge on how it works. You have to again assume that the power works in X way and it doesn’t work any other way or just be really pessimistic. And for gravity manipulation, what’s wrong with it only affecting the person? Why can’t they just reduce gravity in an area around the person? You’re assuming that gravity manipulation would have to affect the gravity of the entire earth. (spoiler: it doesn’t have to!!") Also, super-durability. You could block a bullet from hitting a person.

You’ve ignored several of my paragraphs until now, you got a reason for those not being “logical”?

Oh god fucking damnit, I addressed this already

You question changes as much as your logic when it suits you, pick one or drop it

Here’s the thing, if you ask any middle school kid who studied Newton’s law of gravitation, you’d know that gravity doesn’t work like that. It doesn’t matter that it works in A way or X way, the thing they are affecting doesn’t work like that.

I answered a lot of them with one answer, you proactively abandon mine so that your logic won’t be compromised.

You can’t have things to use fictional logic at some times then demand irl logic at other times. If you just want to indulge in your personal superhero fantasy that much then why the fuck did you even asked?

Ok, but you’d have to assume that their precognition explicitly functions that specific way, which it doesn’t necessarily have to even in real life.

What if their power was to slow down time in a certain area or for certain people, then? That’d probably work

I asked the question because I wondered if people would actually be a superhero if they got special powers like they do a lot of the time in comics. I’m not going to deny superpowers in real life would be a lot more complex, but personal superhero fantasy? Really? So saying that superheroes aren’t 200% unviable in real life is bad?

Wasn’t even talking about precognition

Sure, why not? The question doesn’t matter and you don’t seem to want to stop asking it anwyays

Absolutely.

wow

:fr:

cope and seethe