..is kindness really kindness?

tbh that’s substantially better than them knowing of a reward, but i still do not think rewards should be involved at all. the reward for kindness should be the fact that they did something kind.

i think the intentions of donating are different for everybody. some people see it as a way to get rid of their items, but others think of it more as “hey i have this thing that i don’t need anymore, i might as well give it to someone who needs it”.

it all depends on their intentions

1 Like

I like ya funny words magic man

The new forum trend

Pick a random subjective and abstract concept

Come up with an essay to say Omg this abstract concept is in fact abstract and subjective

1 Like

i wouldnt exactly call it a trend lmao

im just unbearably bored.

There are a shit ton of philosophy shitposts

2 Likes

for a kindness post that wasnt a very kind thing to say…

or was it?
:smirk: :smirk: :smirk:

1 Like

Shut

when the kind kindness is kind :flushed:

tldr

kindess is something any normal person can show as a form of respect, if you can’t show kindness to someone it’s either because

a. you’re an asshole
b. they’re an asshole

it’s not that hard to do nice things for people, and it’s by common your kindness will be appreciated which naturally, being appreciated is a nice and enjoyable feeling

best to show “kindness” (thank you, please, etc) and get in a habit of it in speech

doesn’t mean you need to actually mean it, just say it as it tends to make conversations more favorable

“kindness” as a concept is stupid as it can’t be quantified,
if someone tries to “quantify” it, then similarly to what @StarForDays said;

it loses any effective meaning as “kindness” since it detracts from the supposed meaning

showing “kindness” is really just a way to get on someone’s good side or to try to feel good about yourself by some silly abstract societal moral standard

you can use taunting in order to do the reverse as well,
in some games spamming “ez” while killing someone may make the person more likely to come back so you can trample them and steal whatever players drop

tl;dr use how you talk to manipulate people and don’t worry about silly abstract moral standards

2 Likes

There is no kindness in the world. Everyone is corrupt. Generosity is dead. :sob:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t know

3 Likes

who

tldr

Oh noes, philosophy!

Look, kindness is kindness. Your definition of kindness may vary, but as long as you made someone happy, I count that as kindness.

i disagree. there are certain things made specifically for this purpose that are against the law to use.

I wouldn’t go as far as @Dragon to say it’s stupid because it isn’t quantifiable, but it’s just a moral construct. It doesn’t exist anywhere else other than our minds, and is a feature that allows for peaceful co-existence. It can, however, be used to justify and describe the otherwise irrational self-detrimental actions that human beings can make, and is a pretty not-stupid label overall.

I would suggest not over-thinking it in this case. Kindness is a social tool that can be used to make people more open towards you. It’s in the same playing field as dressing nicely, being friendly, and other socially advantageous behaviors. Use too little of it, and people might have a negative perception of you before even talking to you. Too much of it, and natural skepticism might kick in, though you can use other social skills to stifle that reaction.

Your motives towards being kind do not matter as long as they are not revealed to others. If you feel bad about feeling some pride in your kindness, then don’t worry about it. It’s perfectly natural to be proud of being adept at something. Just don’t get overcome by it.

The arrogance in this instance would come from your pre-occupation with your status as kind in other people’s eyes, as though you feel that you are owed a positive reception due to the number of your good deeds. Not only does it seem desperate and arrogant, it leads people to question the sincerity of the good deeds you did.

2 Likes

I don’t necessarily fully agree with this, but thank you. Thank you for saying it. However in games it is more effective ad may not backfire as much as it could in real life, even though it can be used in places like school, certain types of jobs (Such as being an attorney, investigator, etc) too. That has to be noted.

Sometimes you don’t even need to have a motive. You can just be kind. Just that. It may simply be a part of your character and not an act to manipulate another’s perception of yourself, or used for some dark plot.

1 Like

Perhaps I should have said “reason” and not “motive”, since that would make more sense. In any case, I did not necessarily mean anything negative or positive when I said motive.

It could be as you say, and the person might simply do kind things because it is part of their identity/character. Generally, I’ve interacted with three kinds of people like this throughout my life:

1. Those that are kind because they genuinely cannot be anything else,

2. Those that are kind because they feel some obligation/need/desire to be, and

3. Those that appear kind simply because a situation that would reveal their true character hasn’t occurred. This doesn’t necessarily mean they are hiding it, but it could just be that you haven’t really interacted with them much but they are generally polite.

I genuinely can’t think of any other category that someone could fall into. Anyone who is kind without compulsion from the circumstances around them is either doing so autonomously or automatically. If it is automatic, then it falls under #1. If it is autonomous, then it falls under #2, for if you did not feel an internal compulsion, then you would not be kind without an external one.

Depending on who you asked, the first and the third cannot be seen as kind seeing as the first person isn’t acting out of true personal choice/desire and the third just hasn’t been fully diagnosed. The second is selfish for the simple fact that being kind is done to fulfill some internal need or longing. The person still technically benefits from this, just not in a way tangible to others.

It could be that it makes them feel better about themselves, or that it placates a fear within them. Maybe they feel some duty to make the world a better place by their actions, or maybe they do it in order to ensure that no one has to feel the same way they once did. Maybe they were touched by something they heard and don’t want to see themselves as a bad person. All these things are selfish motives, but selfish =/= bad IMO.

I don’t think it’s possible to be indifferently kind. If you were truly indifferent, you would most likely choose not to be kind when you are directly or indirectly disadvantaged by it. If you’re only kind when it takes little to nothing from you, does that even count as kindness or just simple courtesy? Most would disagree. Thus, the indifferently kind is not kind at all but simply “nice”.

2 Likes

Man shut yo