Magic thought experiment

you are tasked with reducing the base magic count to only 10, what magics do you remove and why?

(image of magic list)

1 Like

snow, acid, ash, explosion, glass, plasma, sand, shadow, poison, wood

I have a wild guess on what @DubiousLittleTyp0 's first pick for removal is

Anyways, I’d remove shadow, snow, wood, sand, lightning, light, fire, crystal, ice, and magma

magics that are SAVED, and are the ten survivors:

-wood
-shadow
-water
-fire
-lightning
-light
-earth
-sand
-poison
-wind

everything else becomes, I dunno… :pensive:

1 Like

good list, although I would replace wood with ice so that a cold magic exists

interesting opinion, i think i would remove:
-wood
-shadow
-water
-fire
-lightning
-light
-earth
-sand
-poison
-wind

you’re right

everyone must become a vitality user.

I suppose, though maybe we could just bring back the old mutation system so ice and snow are water mutations

I’ll take away all magics and reset to warrior, zerker, or warlord

survivors:

1. ice
  2. snow
  3. water
  4. wind
  5. shadow
  6. wood
  7. crystal
  8. glass
  9. metal
  10. earth

everyone must become a cold or earthen magic user

Survivors:
Fire
Water
Lightning
Wind
Earth
Light
Shadow
Acid
Wood
Ice

Assuming we HAVE to keep the original Source Magics, the other ones I’d keep would be Ice/Snow, Poison, and Explosion because those seem like they could be their own Magics instead of derivitaves of the Source Magics (heck, you could argue that Snow IS its own thing since it was only conceived for WoM). I would make the same argument for Wood, but Wood isn’t something you think of when you think of Magic, and the same is especially true for Glass.

If we don’t, I’d still keep all of the Source Magics because they’re the most basic and understandable types of Magic in media with it, so it’d be weird if there was no Fire Magic or something.

remove all magic

remove all weapons

everyone must punch eachother to death

Remove all magic
Remove all weapons
Remove all fighting styles
No more violence

10 Survivors, here is my very biased list on why.

Ice

• My beloved ice magic, what can I do without you, definite survivor for sure

Fire

• A staple of the arcane series and a base element, to go without fire is to regress back to the caveman days

Water

• It’s water. Hydrate yourself

Light

• If light did not exist, can you imagine lightning users being the fastest magic in the game? Do you want to do this to yourself?

Shadow

• For the edge lords

Earth

• Part of the standard elements, forms the very ground you stand on

Lightning

• Perhaps one of the most important elements in the arcane series considering how much love vetex likes to give this element, being part of the first man made magic and the canon magic of the main character in AO

Sand

• It’s rough and it’s coarse and it gets everywhere!

Wind

• Used to complete the holy trinity of earth wind and fire

Metal

• For the metamancers
1 Like

Spirit users:

The 7 AA base magics along with plasma, magma, and ice remain. (2 of them relevant AA mutations, and ice is just there because you should ideally have ice magic in a magic game.)

These magics have a strong reason to exist:

Fire: Definitive heat magic, DOT competitor to Poison, good magic theme
Ice: Definitive cold magic
Poison: Definitive DOT magic
Water: Strong size magic identity, strong identity as a catalyst for other magic effects (temperature and lightning), good magic theme
Lightning: Strong fast magic competitor, the definitive theme for magic and mages
Earth: Definitive size and damage magic, fairly good magic theme

These magics have a weaker reason to exist, but better than the others:

Light: Definitive fast magic, blinding effect could be replaced by shadow though
Shadow: Better than the crossed out options; if light didn’t exist then it could be tweaked to be the definitive blinding magic
Wind: Theming is pretty good, knockback and being kinda fast is a lame gimmick that lightning already fulfills, maybe it’d be fine as being the definitive neutral magic?
Crystal: Odd pick, but I think having a magic that stood out as being THE gimmick magic would be fun. At least it’s effect/identity is not shared by any other magic (unlike the crossed out magics which really just act as competitors/alternatives to the idetities of other magics)

snow, glass, wood, metal, poison
crystal, ash, acid, magma, explosion

this leaves us with

Earth, Fire, Water, Wind, Lightning, Light, Shadow
ice and sand