Mistake in the timeline

Ok, so I get I make a lot of these posts, but I’ll make this one worth your time. So, in Y1857, the protagonist of AA encounters Hades, who in the lore, was “controlling” Durza, which is apparently why Durza turnt out to be an evil wizard. The problem with this is that Hades was never evil. If you’re a guy like me who’s studied Greek mythology, you’d know that Hades wasn’t like the other gods and actually never did anything “bad.” There was that one time where he DID kidnap a goddess named Persephone, but to be fair, he was partly misled, and kidnapping wasn’t considered a crime back then. There’s also that Persephone’s mom, Demeter, never gave her free will and was basically an overprotective neglectful mom. Hades, on the other hand, literally gave her free will to roam the underworld, and plus, Hades and Persephone actually had a really good relationship. The only reason Hades gets bad rep is because of Christians. When Christians came to Greece, they saw Hades as the Greek equivalent of Satan, and thought he was evil because he was the god of the underworld, which seems really sterotypical. Anyway, the problem is that the Arcane lore isn’t accurate about Hades nor his character, since if the Arcane lore were true to the myths, there’s no way Hades would ever do what it’s said he did to Durza in the lore. Edit: I also realize that the protagonist killing Hades would also put the entire underworld into chaos, meaning that with nobody to watch over the dead souls of the underworld and restrain them, they would actually flood into Earth and wreak havoc upon it, which is a mistake on The Peacekeeper’s part.

6 Likes

word

The was the the sea and the under world and only poseidon and hades was left. they both wanted the sea but hades got the underworld

Apparently, the underworld runs itself now that Hades is dead, this was confirmed somewhere but I forgot where, sorry. And yes, Hades was never “evil” in Greek mythology, but something may have happened in the Arcane world to change that, though this is just me speculating.

the lore is more inspired by greek gods but man i love hades so take my like. he named his dog spot. people throw shade his way for kidnapping persephone but zeus/poseidon did way worse. look into the story of medusa, or zeus and his sister.

1 Like

facts

You lost me at “Ok”

This is most likely because of pop culture. After all, most people associate the underworld with evil, and Satan, who is basically pure evil, rules there. Of course, people will automatically see Hades as evil, as he fulfills the role of ruling over the underworld. And plus, I’m pretty sure most people already know that the greek stuff in this game is mostly superficial.

I would unironically hang out with Hades if I could.

1 Like

yeah, and there’s also that hades was an introvert and didn’t know how to introduce himself to persephone, so zeus casually told him "ayo just kidnap her and its bound to work "

1 Like

yeah all the death/underworld related gods are just seen as evil

though I think its pretty known that Zeus was the massive dick ever so that makes me a little bit happy

who said that arcane lore is word-for-word accurate to greek myth?

Yeah Arcane does borrow some aspects of Greek Mythology but Vetex has said that not everything is 100% based off of it

1 Like

The problem is that it’s stereotypical. It assumes that being the god of the underworld automatically makes that god “bad” or “satanic”, which is an overused and just straight-up stereotypical trope. I get it’s possible that something could have happened to Hades which turnt him evil, but I honestly don’t get why he has to be “evil” just because he’s the god of the underworld.

3 Likes

its honestly disrespectful and im not dumb enough to think hades is evil just for plot

underworld left autopilot on

hades is just a skill issue

1 Like

Most of what you say is true and correct, but let me give you 3 things to consider:

1. The lore of the Arcane Series games was never 100% accurately based off Greek mythology, but simply had many elements of it implemented as a base for the lore, as well as some details.

2. It is never stated in the Arcane lore whether Hades was evil or not. It was merely mentioned that he was controling Durza, probably created the Absorbtion Curse, and EVEN HELPED the Peacekeeprr by teaching him some things, only to experiment with and test the limits of dark magic (I think.), so why should he be evil? He may have only not cared about mortals or the world all that much, considering what the other 2 rulers of it had done in the past and how they’d treated humanity.

3. WHAT IF… There is some other remaining God or minor deity that had gone in hiding after the Cursebeard defeated Prometheus and most of the Gods were killed. From what we know, there may as well be some sort of twist in the plot and in A.O. we meet another surviving Olympian. What if, for example we meet Hermes, who was the one taking the souls from earth to the river Styx or Acheron, depending on the time the myth was written, for Charon (Aka “The Feryman”) to transport to the Underworld, meaning that he has a connection to it. (Btw, us seeing any surviving gods and having them as like… some sort of mentor would be more than amazing.)

However, I will agree that sometimes there are some plotholes (Or mysteries to be theorized about) in the lore. Not in this specific case necessarily, but there are, indeed.

Also, note for Dragon if he sees this: Since you are our Grand Lore Master, having second place only to Tech and Vetex, I kindly request your word of advice and correction, should I ever spread any sort of misinformation.

I mean, the underworld itself is not what most people think it is, that being the equivelant of “Heck” for Christians and Judaists. In Grek mythology, the underworld was divided into four parts:

Tartarus, the part most people know, which is the dark, fiery, torment and suffering filled, depest part of the underworld, reserved for criminals, some imprisoned enemies of the gods, inclding the Titans, and those who had commited hubris against the gods.

The Asphodel Meadows, which was a place that resembled the normal world, where the souls of the ordinary and indifferent went.

The Mourning Fields, that I do not remember what kind of world resembled, where those who spent their lives on one-sided or unpaid love.

And the Fields of Elysium, which was basically the equivelant of heaven in Ancient Greek Mythology, that being endless golden fields, for some reason, where those who ha achieved greatness and honoured the gods went.

i just dont get how my posts always get this many replies lmao

Well, that is for one simple reason… People have things to reply to these posts.