New weapon type: Bladed Rifle/Thrusting Rifle/Polearm Rifle

New weapon type: Bladed Rifle/Thrusting Rifle/Polearm Rifle https://forum.arcaneodyssey.dev/uploads/default/original/4X/5/1/2/51295383facbc9f5c6f1e91a59ffd5b32c99d2f9.png
effort 4.5 2 quality 5.0 3 reasonability 4.5 2

Proposal:

This weapon type is to pole arms/thrusting (rapiers) and rifles is what dual daggers is to daggers and dual bladed: A weapon that has moves from both weapon categories. (courtesy of @fartman1314 and @dukeshade for polearm suggestions)


It’s primarily consists of rifles with bayonets, giving it melee options. In return however, reload time is significantly higher, and dex/range scaling is weaker, maybe even dmg.

Moves that are (probably) compatible: All rifle moves, Incision, whirlwind, shining cycle, spiraling fury*, impaling strike, sword draw: flash strike*, flying slash*, piercing gale*, sparrow thrust,sword step*,…

* : A bit of a stretch

Unique weapon idea:

This weapon categorie could pave the way for a unique weapon of it’s type: A gunsword .

Could be a legendary weapon with a unique move or two.

And we have a kingdom that’s about technological advancement and gun arms (Thorne empire)

Reasons to add:

I think it would fit the game and be an interesting weapon type.

Kinda got inspired by this video:

I’m open to your ideas

5 Likes

i think you mean a bayonet fixed musket…

1 Like

Please read the full suggestion.

i wouldnt imagine it having flash strike or piercing gale, id imagine it mostly having dagger moves and most likely impaling strike, maybe incision, but even then i dont see that…but nonetheless its good idea, id like a gunsword

1 Like

It would have pgale probably. That or a unique version of shot/incision.

always wanted a bayonet rifle since logically and lore wise and pretty much everything else makes sense for it to exist
though certain types will probably treat it like how germany treated the shotgun as a war crime because its a gun that has access to slash/pierce skills

Could have weaker scaling like dual daggers (super small but fast)

probably would be polearm + rifle

2 Likes

What about a strength Bladed rifle which is just a gunlance from monster hunter

1 Like

I thought about it but decided against it because:

1: Naming convention (bladed rifle vs pole arm rifle)

2: Swords are cooler (biased)

3: Possibility of a gunsword from the Thorne empire (omega biased)

4: From my “research” (Google images) I saw that bayoneted rifles sometimes have what appears to be a knife attached to the end, so thought bladed moves would fit

YES, ABSOLUTELY
You get me

1 Like

Ikr gunlance is sooooooooo cool

1 Like

yeah but glaives are classified as polearms and theyre knives on the end of poles

3 Likes

That’s…A valid point.

I’ll add it into the suggestion as possibility, but I’m still on the side of bladed (primarily dagger and rapier)

Everybody else is 100% correct on this probably being a better fit for the Rifle+Polearm/Thrusting Category. Bayonets are usually held like a spear (because rifles are long, and that’s just how you hold long weapons), and are more known for jabbing people, not actually slashing.

Even your move suggestions that aren’t marked as a stretch all belong more into thrusting and polearm, with the exception of whirlwind.

I will say that there could be some rare variants that have access to Bladed moves, Bayonets are still called as a Knife or Sword being added to a gun, and modern ones typically use double edged spikes— its just that their shape ended up making most people use them like a Spear or Glaive.

3 Likes

Now thinking about it you and fartman may be right.
Now I realise that I chose bladed because the naming fits what we have in-game already and because I want it to accommodate the possibility of a gunsword.
I will probably change it up a bit to fit the pole arm/thrusting archetype.
Tho then what should the weapon type be named? Bladed rifle will sound misleading if it’s more of a pole arm, so maybe a focus on thrusting?
As I said in the suggestion I’m open to ideas

Looking at a couple articles… probably Spiked Rifle? That’s the best sounding one.

2 Likes

I kinda what the name to follow the naming conventions already in-game.
So either bladed rifle or thrusting rifle, maybe even pole arm rifle.

Yours i good too but I find the original naming to be the best sounding one

1 Like

I’ve modified the suggestion to be more polearm/thrusting focused instead of swords