NPC Co-Captain Map Sailing

NPC Co-Captain Map Sailing
effort 4.166666666666667 6 quality 3.666666666666667 6 reasonability 2.5 6

Co-Captains should be able to sail along a set course that you plan on the map GUI.

In more detail within the hidden texts;

Requirements

There should be a new button on the map GUI that says “Set Course”.
To have access to that button you need: A ship that is present in the world and you are either on it or nearby, and an eligible Co-Captain who can sail.

If you don’t have either, then the button will be grayed out and you will not be able to set a course to sail along.

If you do have both requirements then you are able to set a course to sail along.

Course Planning

Once the button is pressed then it will make your map waypoints halfway transparent.
Once you click on the map like you are placing a waypoint, then it will place a distinct sailing mark that has a line connecting to either your ships location or the previous sailing mark before it.

You will not be able to place sailing marks in unexplored areas of the map, and possibly need to buy an item or teach the NPC how to navigate the area.

The button will change to “Embark on Course” if you have placed at least one sailing mark.
There will be a button that says “Cancel Course Planning” while the course planning is active.

On Course

Once you are content with the course you have planned, you press “Embark on Course”. That would cause the Co-Captain to either walk or teleport to the wheel and when you press “Set Sail” the boat would sail along the course you had made beforehand.
If you jump out of the vicinity of the boat, it will wait a second and then stop sailing and wait for you to get back on the boat so it can sail again.

This would allow for players to set courses that they don’t have to sail themselves and to have staged battles. Awesome!

It would allow for racing and you’d have to knock your opponent off their boat or destroy it, while you are on a course. Competitiveness!

Different Co-Captains who sell things?
Well, how about different Co-Captains who might be able to sail better against the wind?
Variety!

Sailing in the dark without doing anything because the NPC knows the way! Laziness, woo hoo!

This adds both flavor and a helpful feature.

Please give constructive feedback that would help in either balancing or otherwise making it more viable to be added in.

To those who read this far, have a cookie! :cookie:

Holy shit take my vote

1 Like

I completely support this and if it gets added, I can’t wait to see the complaint posts about people trying to set a course straight through the middle of an island and crashing into it instead of actually setting a proper course.

3 Likes

Sure, but…

Ships already sail on their own after you click toggle sail, so all you have to do is usually point at the right direction and sit back, and all this suggestion would really do is just… Uh, point you towards the direction you should be going, I guess?

1 Like

The difference is that you don’t have to change the direction if you are content with the sailing lines you placed.

Once you reach a sailing mark it would go to the next line, thus changing the direction you sail in!

Thanks for the feedback!

Have a cookie! :cookie:

I don’t get this whole line thing

The ocean’s pretty big and islands are spread out so islands won’t usually get in your way to get from point A to point B, and all of it being a linear ride.

1 Like

Think of it like placing a waypoint, when you click on the map it places a sailing mark and would trace a line through all the marks you placed.

The line is where your boat would go and the direction it faces, whether its visible or not idk.

That’s true that the ocean is big, but seen in one of the recent posts about boats, those wilderness islands aren’t that spread out.
So this isn’t completely unviable to be added unless vetex doesn’t want to do it, which would just be an “Oh well, was a nice thought” kind of moment.

This isn’t really for short and precise sailing to be honest.
It’s meant to be for long journeys while stopping at little islands along the way for treasure or quests or for sailing without being at the helm steering.

It could also be used to create tracks to race along, without having to steer at each turn.

(but if you do want to steer at each turn of the race as an added difficulty, go ahead.)

More cookies :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

So this feature is pmuch a chest farmer’s dream?

I mean I wouldn’t mind letting the Co-Captain take the wheel while I sit on my masts and just watch the world around me

1 Like

Yeah, I guess. Oh yeah, forgot to mention but it would help with night time sailing too.

That’s AA and AR, and I’ve had it shoved in my face enough to not use previous games as examples to question if this will actually be the case.

yes.

you toggle sails on or off

then boom, night time

use the compass

Yeah, I guess, but you still need to sail and do the turns yourself.

This would add more possible variety for Co-Captains, rather than just selling items and possible crew buffs.

This would add the possibility for racing with the ability to fire magic whilst on the boat, during turns and without worrying about having to turn the boat yourself.

This would add an easier solution than just go north from this island and once you reach this landmark go east.

Memorizing a route might be hard for people.

The point of the game is to explore it yourself, not just take a route from one place to another. People are already reliant on the map and shouldn’t even show their location on there. Make people have a general direction of where to go and go from there. They shouldn’t literally be given tools to AFK. That just asks the question why have sailing in the game if you need an AFK feature.

1 Like

Easy way to counter this is your only able to make a course from the area you’ve already explored

This isn’t a needed feature for anybody, I understand why you would think that people would just afk it.

Being reliant on a map in the game isn’t a bad thing, memorizing the map and the layout is a try hard mentality.

You need a Co-Captain who can do this, so you explore the game beforehand to get it.

You also can’t go on to islands with the boat, you do that by walking with your WASD.

People already afk drive anyway on long journeys, might as well make turning afk viable too.

What chrono said applies as well.

Then you still have the issue of just AFK til then

Thats. The. Point.

vetex already confirmed it in the trello that there’ll be a toggle sails button. no reason to think they wouldn’t work the same way