[Poll] Should you be able to change your magic/minds?

every magic is unusable besides sand so people should be forgiven for picking something else

2 Likes

but for an actual answer, i think you should be able to change it once in the story

1 Like

Magic excels in their secondary properties (aka statuses) or particular focuses so no. They shouldn’t be able to be changed, because I highly doubt lost/ancient magic effects will be a part of fighting styles unless they are infused. As for base magics, even they are somewhat broad, and they all have their own synergies. Maybe at most we can improve upon them later (a mastered variant, what it does I don’t know).

1 Like

may you regain interest in your magic in the 10 hours it takes for you to grind for a reset

Maybe, but maybe not. I think if they added a way to change your magic, it should be done in a cool fashion. Here’s an idea that just now came to me:

~Magic Spell Scroll: Mind Swap~
Use this spell on an NPC with magic. You will permanently swap magics with them.
This spell does not work on:
NPCs with levels above 200
NPCs that are at least 50 levels above your own
Warriors/No magics
PLAYERS

If you swap magics with an NPC with only one magic, you can choose the other magics you’d like to have. If they have 2, you will swap 2 magics with theirs and so on.
The spell is absolute one time use. If you want to use it again, you’d have to make another file and obtain the scroll again.

aren’t fighting styles even more gimmicky and focused tho?

i don’t understand what this has to do with being able to change base magics, i might just be too tired rn tho

I believe I partially assumed we were talking about lost and ancients magics alongside base magics, but they’re just being used as an example of the secondary effects of magics. To my knowledge, no one is 100% confined to a base magic unless they decide not to swap it out for a lost or ancient (mostly because the other 2 slots would be filled with one).

that’s true, but unless the second/third magic somehow became your favourite now you’d still be using something you don’t want

Here we go.

I’m all for a hard-to-obtain 1 time use item that lets you change your base magic once per mind, and I hope vetex makes us venture into the dark sea to get it or brew it if it’s a potion, but at some point make a goddamn decision.

Being wishy-washy with your choices completely undermines the purpose of having a build and ruins the sense of attachment/ownership factor. It makes your choices have less weight and they will matter less. Imagine you build a house with straw and then regret not building it with wood instead and then try to swap out the straw for the wood…then you suddenly decide that you don’t LIKE wood and that you want to use brick instead.

Build a separate fucking house.

Ik this is a terrible analogy and I’m well aware that in the real-world, renovations are cheaper than building new. But the point i’m trying to make is that multiple files exist for a reason. Utilize them. Yes the grind to level 1k each time may be a slog, but if you willingly grind to level 1k with a magic you don’t like then that’s on you. You should know how a magic plays by level 100. Maybe vet will add a skip cutscene thing in the future for those who have already seen them to make progression faster, who knows :person_shrugging:

The main argument i’m seeing is “Other builds can do it so why not mages?” well, other builds have valid reasons:

• We switch weapons to try out different skills and get upgrades to what we already have. No one is going to switch from an iron katana to a level 1 old dagger willingly unless they’re just fucking around.

• We switch fighting styles to try out specialized gimmicks that directly affect your playstyle.

• We want to switch magics because I dOn’T lIkE.

Compared to weapons and fighting styles, magic is conceptually the same for each. They have the same movepool with their differences being power/speed/clash rate/status proc/design/and synergy. Sounds like alot in theory, but these differences are minute in practice and WoM is proof of that. I was told in a separate thread “if they’re so similar, why not switch?” and I didn’t have a comeback for that.

And to be completely honest, I still don’t. But regardless-

Magic switching is something that I can easily live without and I dnc if it does/n’t get added. But if it’s added, no Test UI bullshit.

A solid compromise for this that would satisfy both sides is a scroll OR a potion that needs to be brewed from ingredients found in the dark sea. It should be hard to obtain and it works once per mind. That way, you get SIX chances to get the base magics you want and your choices will still have some sort of weight. Lost magic changes should be unlimited because you have to actively grind for those since they’re the legendary weapon equivalent for mages. If you still somehow don’t get what you want with this system…

L

2 Likes

nah this a great analogy, because here it’s also better to renovate (change magic) than having to do the whole character again, because you wanted ONE thing changed.

as i’ve said many times already, it can be you liked it the whole time, but your taste changed or there was a balance change or something and now you don’t like it anymore

Read :clap: The :clap: whole :clap: thing :clap:

don’t really want to because you are saying stuff everyone else has already said, vetex will already add a way to change (tho unknown if it’s you can only do it one time per mind or not). and blah

having once per mind is basically nothing. might as well not have it at all. everything i said in the comment above can happen again.

Summary

fighting styles

slog is a bit of an understatement, i think the current story right now was said to take around 8 hours, multiply that by 10 and you’re asking people to spend 80 hours (not including time spent grinding items and leveling side features) just because their tastes changed

also if someone started the game with their least favourite magic, they did it for a reason and likely have no intention to change unless they wanna make that file their main for some reason

if we’re talking about mechanical reasons to switch, then magics would have the same exact reason

people will switch weapons and fighting styles for the same reason

if the supposedly stronger thing can be changed infinitely i don’t see why base magics would have a limit

so do fighting styles, they may be more gimmicky but all their moves are the same

1 Like

magics have that too.

magics have that just in more line with synergies and gimmicks.

it wouldn’t make sense for it to be one time per mind, because once used you’d just have the current problem again

2 Likes

i don’t think anyone wants that. it was already said multiple times that everyone’s ok with it being hard af. just give us the option

Fine. I concede.

I already knew magic switching was coming anyway, i’m the one who asked vetex in the first place

Do whatever you want on your files

you won’t see me switching more than once tho, if at all :fr:

3 Likes

we ain’t forcing you to, so nice :+1:

1 Like