Quest rework

Quest rework https://forum.arcaneodyssey.dev/uploads/default/optimized/3X/2/5/25809e400fbb80c060b783fb6070aa62962fd94f_2_1024x576.jpeg
effort 4.714285714285714 7 quality 4.857142857142857 7 reasonability 4.888888888888889 9

Reasoning

Dodge reflex is a missable side quest, and with how important it is to combat, it’s going to cause problems.

Think what if a boss was made with the context of having reflex, It would be really hard for people who don’t have it, or if the boss was made without reflex in mind it would be really easy for those who do have it.

(Hollow Knight has this problem, most of the bosses had to be beaten with the base kit so the bosses weren’t made for a fully kitted player, reducing the possible complexity of the fights.)

so my idea is to rework the side quests into:

Boring reasonable idea

MAJOR (side) quests:

are quests that relate to an (all-class) mechanic like:

-dodge reflex

What makes major quests unique is that when sailing to another sea this pop-up will appear.

As well as a unique task for islands and the island’s names should be given a unique color. (not pictured)

“Minor” side quests

The same as the quests found in the game already.

Unreasonable idea
MAJOR (side) quests

MAJOR (side) quests:

still are quests that relate to a (all class) mechanic like:

-dodge reflex

What makes major quests unique is that when sailing to another sea this pop-up will appear.

As well as a unique task for islands and the island’s names should be given a unique color. (not pictured)

other quests

now here is a list of all of the quests. (and a few reworks)

"Minor"

“Minor” side quests

are split into 3 kinds with each getting an island task, quests with more than one kind would count toward both of the task lotals.

“mentorship” - modifying (any) build.
EX: Cannon Fist Training
“story” - affects the world. (The creation of new quests also counts)
EX: Louis’ Scheme (sky pumpkin)
“gear” - gives you weapons, crew, techniques, or gear.
EX: Mysterious Reward (Monoah Village Gift)

(note: if you don’t see a quest I most likely moved it to another tab.)

Helping Hundi (gear and story) opens a warehouse and gives a gun.

Helping the Deserter (gear and story) gets you Edward Kenton.

Delivery for Enizor (gear and story) gets you Enizor.

Frostmill’s Ice Mines (story) New cargo (ice block) that is free to take but decays in value over time. (makes a reason why they are behind on deliveries too.)

Souvella’s Challenge (mentorship) boxing

Sky Picnic (story) creates a picnic area.

The Dueling Mage (story) Arish Vista will stay on the dueling island resting on a pile of snow.

Leg Day (mentorship) Iron leg

Cannon Fist Training (mentorship) Cannon fist

Sailing and Shark Hunting (mentorship) Sailors fist

The Cult of Greenwish (gear and story) after the first boss kill really should be a mirage and Gaul Treviri really should leave.

Arena Repair (story) Also there should be random mushrooms and herbs you have to pick from the arena.

The Wooden Daggers (gear) The quest should give you an upgraded camp. (perhaps a weak HP regen when out of combat or something at least)

Monoah Village’s Harvest (gear) This really should give you the Monoah Village Gift. (it just makes more sense)

Anglerfishing (gear) should give you a lantern. (I hate this quest)

Traveler in Distress (story)

Cooking Expertise (gear) should give you a chef hat.

Assassins in Tiberia (story) should cause the base to be upgraded.

Double Crosser (story)

Ravenna’s Lost Treasure (mentorship) Thermo Fist

Inside the Nightmare (story)

Infiltrating Silverhold (story and gear)

Enizor’s Ambition (story and gear)

"Tutorial"

“Tutorial” side quests

Quests they explain mechanics (repeatable but XP capped)

Learning to Cook (gear) This should give a free ingredients however if the meal made wasn’t eaten it would not give you any new ingredients.

Learning to Fish (gear) This gives a wooden rod but only the first time

Bandits of the Jaws (gear) This should be a tutorial on how to get/use to gear. The first time doing it should give you a Leather chest and a dull power Amulet.

Delivery to Palo Town should have you transport ice blocks to have the players pushed into the aspect of speed.

Buried Treasure (gear) gives a chart that leads to a “sealed chest” that can be turned into the quest giver (Shipwright) which in turn gives a “frozen Bright Leather”. Repeating the quest will only reward less and fewer gallons are given till 1 gallon per dig. (why? There should be a buried treasure quest on Frost Mill explaining sealed chests, “Modifiers”, and charts.)

Louis’ Scheme (story) It really shouldn’t be wood he is asking for, but growth sap to introduce the destruction of world objects for items.

Repairing Adam’s Ship (story and gear) Adam should be in Palo town but moved to Sailor’s Lodge if his quest wasn’t done after leaving Cirrus Island. his quest would be recovering his lost cargo, hammering, and talking to a shipwright as a tutorial to repairing ships.

The Ancient Cave (gear) should be the intro to what are scrolls.

Mamercus’ Challenge should be the intro to ship combat with you hunting weak ships like sailboats with every step leading up a fortified ship.

Potion and diving (gear) This would replace the quest that the potion guy in Sailor’s Lodge has. Instead, he lost an item of his and had tried to dive for it but all he got was seaweed and clams. he would then explain how to make potions as he is too tired to make the potion himself, the quest ends with you grabbing his lost items.

"Repeating "

Repeating side quests

Are just randomized quests when town reputation becomes a thing.
(note some quests here give items but don’t give anything interesting)

Dotta’s Necklace (gear) 10 apples

Bobby’s Book

Frostmill Fishing

Coconuts for Frostmill

Cirrus Buried Treasure (gear) gives an Aquamarine also not a good intro to charts

Sky Apple Harvesting

Repairing a Skyship (neither the right time nor a good tutorial to repairing)

Banana Merchant

Pirates of Palo Town (is just a really bad intro to ship combat)

Mysterious Reward (this shouldn’t have been the quest to get the Monoah Village Gift)

Shell Island Criminals

Elliot’s Lost Hat

Lodge Maintenance

Prove Yourself

The Starving Woman

Seashell Collector

Ravenna’s Lacking Export

Fishing for Gold (far too late to be an intro to item fishing)

Pirates of the Bronze Sea

Stolen Heirloom

7 Likes

just tell the player about it right after awakening, that makes the most sense + they’re already there

1 Like

we are going to the next right after awakening ._.

I mean at the jaw spire bec that’s close to whitesummit

._. you need to at level 120 if you did the main quest as soon as you can you around level 100 (where i was during my first charater)

also this isn’t intended for how should players find the quest it’s intended as a stop gap

there’s no lvl lock?

There most certainly a lvl lock but how much are you willing to bet that at least 70% of players will still miss the quest

(This is also due to if a player has already gone to white they would have little to no reason to go back)

I do really sympathize with this… Like, who knows in the future how many extrememly important and poweful abilities may be locked to some freak living out on a deserted island. The nimbus sea is said to be much harder than the respective bronze sea, and most players wont have fully enchanted superpowered powerful and armored gear. Some may not even know what a dodge reflex is and just go straight to nimbus… I hope this is taken into some sort of considerations!

ye that’s why I said make it part of the story

Yeah I don’t see why not, someone who is completely new to the game is unlikely to know about the dodge reflex quest despite being considered a core mechanic, so this would definitely help

Don’t see any reason why this shouldn’t exist, but it might be a good idea to change the next sea confirmation to a general direction, to preserve some sense of discovery if the player hasn’t found an island yet. (You feel on Whitesummit a grand opportunity for growth → You feel great opportunity for growth somewhere East of the Stepstones)

i think the general idea of having abilities that you can miss are kinda cool (deepwoken does this pretty well) but dodge reflex is just not something you should miss lol

1 Like

eh, should have to be more specific, because otherwise someone might just get really confused, even if they land on whitesummit, they have to have the idea that the basic fighting style trainer would give you dodge reflex (a universal ability) and don’t you have to finish his quest first too?

people just gonna wander around and then look it up online if it is this unclear.

yes

You over estimate the average intelligence of a AO player I’m happy that you still have that much hope in humanity intelligence

just have an npc give you a letter from a rill hendrix on sameria or somewhere later right before we get to the dodge reflex balanced bosses

Simply telling the player in a more clear manner about dodge reflexes would be beneficial.

Also, make it so either you actually do have to have your awakening to unlock dodge reflex, or just have the guy that gives you it not say he can feel you’ve awakened.

I’d honestly just make Warren tell the player he feels a powerful energy coming from whitesummit and that the player may want to go there if they want to get stronger before heading off

If new players skip dialogue that’s on them
:smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

3 Likes

yes. (complete sentence