Reading Obscure Arcane Trellos: Magic

I found some obscure trello forums on concepts, plans and lore for the original arcane adventure, and I enjoyed reading through this content. I’ll just give my thoughts on some of the things I’ve read, and how it can relate to Arcane Odyssey.

The first thing I will look at are the various unique magics.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 2.24.39 AM

The first one that I’ve came across is flare magic. The thing that separates flare magic from fire magic is its colors(pink/orange and cyan/purple.)

Its better the closer you use it, and gets weaker the more distance is between whoever you’re trying to hit, a high damage DOT that lasts a decent amount of time. If this were to come back in the form of lost magics/lost spells, since the status effect is based off of radiation, would be maybe applying a small debuff which would give a “hearing” and “vision” debuff which impacts the volume and visuals on the screen of the target.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 2.31.46 AM

Flash is a mutation of lighting and light magic, which focuses on…well bright flashes. It would give the target blindness and also be very fast, but wouldn’t do much damage. Kinda seems annoying to go against ngl, but I can see a lost spell or weapon skill replicating the nature of this magic.

Speed is also quite simple, you would be able to boost your speed with this magic. I can’t see this skill taking up an entire magic slot, but it will certainly return in some form, through lost spells and fighting styles/techniques.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 2.37.18 AM

Now this is just awesome for me to read, since my main character is going to be a support Paladin/Healer. Reading the skills and description of what was planned exceeds what I thought the ability would be, just different variations of healing your HP or your parties HP.

Its a very fast magic, it can cast an omnidirectional barrier that blocks all attacks, and a temporary buff that would automatically revive you after death. I hope that healing/life magic in AO takes notes from this.

Aether Magic is a slow, although somewhat more powerful version of light that is mage for sniping and blinding opponents from long range. It has a skill which keeps targets far away, and can also basically shoot a Kamehameha beam.

Its balance is certainly interesting…but we ultimately can’t say how well it would be since it never came out. If this is implemented in AO, I’m curious to see how good or bad it would be.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 2.49.56 AM

Equinox Magic is the “fusion” of light and shadow magic, which is highly destructive.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 2.50.48 AM

Seeing what was planned for this magic…is scary. Extremely high damage, fast casting speed, applies blindness, a damaging DOT, and has low energy cost to use. I hope that this magic gets a heavy rework, or just doesn’t return at all in AO.

It is noted that this magic is extremely straining, and reduces your lifespan, so maybe it would have at least costs some HP to use its attacks, but we can never know.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 2.54.39 AM

Death magic, which is certainly going to be popular in AO, is a stronger version of shadow magic. It focuses on close ranged attacks, its slow but has high damage, It makes virtually no noise, and has a very strong DOT. They note that this magic cannot be masked, but can create “tendrils.” I’m not sure if this is an exclusive trait to death magic, or if its something that all magics can do, but if its exclusive, I think this would give it unique visuals and cool looking attacks.

Slenderman

A magic that is similar to death magic in stats, sacrifice magic is a magic which focuses on closed ranged attacks which causes bleeding, and a buff which amps your stats at the cost of health.

SacrificeShield.PNG

The attacks for this magic seem to have a pattern of having “sharp” attacks, and its ultimate is similar to a mode spell. Overall, this magic is pretty cool, and I believe that it will most likely return.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 3.05.11 AM

Sun magic focuses on huge aoe attacks, high damage, and a DOT status which you’re supposed to continually stack.

When I’ve read the trello for AO, I thought that this magic was a bit redundant, but looking at the description, I change my opinion. Cool magic!

Looking at this description for phoenix magic, this is pretty different than how it was explained in the AO trello. Here, its explained as a jack of all trades magic, which gives a DOT effect and can also heal.

The damage for this magic is quite low(besides the final attack) but it has very fast speed. If it returns, I wonder how it will be implemented.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 3.15.09 AM

Arctus magic is a very powerful mutation of fire magic, which only Theos obtained. The strain on the body from this magic is extremely strong, and it eventually killed Theos.

The chances of this magic being obtainable in anyways is highly unlikely, although the idea of it appearing on a boss is slightly more possible. In terms of stats, its just bused, high speed, damage and a OP DOT.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 3.18.44 AM

Mud magic, which was a controversial magic that was discussed weeks ago on the forum, has a small description here. Overall, it doesn’t hit hard, but its fast and its mainly utility is stunning its targets and applying a slowing down status effect.

Overall, its a more offensive support magic, and its main utility is using it to set up for hard hitting attacks with another magic.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 3.22.13 AM

Cloud magic, which is a mutation of water and wind magic, is another offensive-support magic which focuses on applying buffs and debuffs with fast casting time. The only noted attack is a huge cloud attack which lingers after it hits, it reduces vision for the targets it hits, while buffing the attack power and magic regeneration of the user. Its noted that this magic is basically gone in WOM/AO, which is quite sad, since the visuals and unique utility of this magic would be very cool. I can see myself using it on an alt.

Gravity magic, one of my most anticipated magics in AO, is shown here! It focuses on manipulating gravity. The speed is slow, but it does decent damage, and applies a debuff which strips the target ability to jump and fly away. Even though its very short, this game is based mainly on aerial combat, so dealing with it could be quite tricky.

Only one attack is mentioned, an ability which nullifies attacks and draws in nearby people.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 3.55.02 AM

It’s noted here that gravity magic costs a lot of magic energy to use, and lacks versatility. Although this is subject to change(obviously) Its a little worrying, seeing as how gravity is one of the more unique elements.

Atomic magic is somewhat similar to shatter magic, as both magics main trait is nullifying attacks. Which makes Atomic magic different in that it not only can nullify attacks at the atomic level, but it can absorb magics and eventually compressed all of the magics absorbed to unleash a powerful attack!

Sadly though, theres no plans for this magic to come back.

Aether lightning is a fusion between aether magic and lightning, and it simply focuses on highly powered attacks. The addition effect is Aether Shock, which applies EXTRA damage, which can be amplified even more if soaked is applied!

AetherLightningE

AetherLightningZ

AetherLightningQ

Ezgif-3-b2bacc6ba3ce

Originally, this was a non-canon magic that only vetex used himself. There is some footage of him using it, but its a little bit chaotic. Arcane Adventure Vetex The Lightning God - YouTube

Its highly likely that it returns in AO, and since its a more powerful version of lightning, many players will see out this magic.

Another magic that exists in a similar fashion, poison lightning simply fuses the attributes and color of poison with lightning.

20180429_112252

Magicthing

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 3.45.08 AM

Promethean Fire lets you control the flames of Prometheus. Overall, its high in stats, is highly versatile, allows you to control other types of fire, although its SO rare that the chances of a normal player obtaining this magic is VERY rare.

One cool thing to note, is that multiple of the grand fire curses which were obtainable as lost magics in AO/WOM can be manipulated by people who own this attack. (Inferno Magic and Scorch magic.) One thing is sure, this magic is extremely powerful, and if it is obtainable, will a competent player be unstoppable with this magic? On one end, its EXTREMELY rare and hard to obtain, so it needs to be distinct and special, but if a competent user of this magic can just run around and slap anyone in a fight, it would mess with the meta of the game.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 3.52.09 AM

It’s possible that we get a return of different types of casting, depending on your tier on magic. I would welcome this change.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 3.59.08 AM

This would be a nice, easy gamepass so that Vetex could make a little bit of extra money. Obviously it would have to be purely visual. I will say that I think that a way you could make Paladin builds unique is allowing for charging to also cure status effects using your second magic alongside of your first magic for an awakening. You could argue that it should be unlocked for mages, but they’re already OP in the fact that they get 5 magics. Giving it to Paladins would solidify them as the “tanky mages”

Well, thats all I can find. I’ll do fighting styles next, theres a decent amount of neat concepts that were never added to AA

10 Likes

all of these are so cool and the art just makes it so much better

3 Likes

Glad more people are finding this trello, it was a blast going through it when it was being updated! The dude who put it together (@SpectreTheFox) actually posts here pretty often.

(Also just a sidenote, not everything in the trello is canon, some of it might be outdated/fanmade. just an fyi so no info misunderstandings happen)

2 Likes

shatter magic :drooling_face: ( never going to be in ao :skull: )

1 Like

I’m so glad to hear you liked my work! I’ve been having a rough couple of days so reading this does put a smile on my face. Unfortunately, even now the trello still hasn’t been completed. I started working on it back when I thought the webcomic was fully canon, and in my opinion, the trello is severely lacking in-game content and also uses too much speculation. When Arcane Odyssey releases, I’ll shut down the trello so I can revamp it in private, then it’ll be re-released in a much better state.

5 Likes

Some things I’d like to address…

All the art shown in this topic (besides the Aether Lightning and Poison Lightning circles) was drawn by TrollusRT. The art was taken from either the webcomic or discord messages. I am very appreciate that Trollus spent time visualizing all these magics that we otherwise would’ve never seen.

Speed and Flash will not be returning to AO, since Speed is a weird concept for a magic and Flash would probably be made redundant by Aether Magic.

Arcturus is not canon to AA, WoM, or AO, its only canonicity is in the Arcane Adventures Webcomic. Mud I believe may be canon, but it won’t be returning to AO sadly since people clowned on it too hard. There will be other disruptive, slowing utility magics, however :eyes:.

It doesn’t seem like Cloud will return, which is indeed very sad, but in all honesty it doesn’t fit with AO anyway, since there’s already Storm Magic and Cloud’s main thing was flight, which isn’t a thing in AO.

I’m pretty sure Atomic won’t be returning, which I’m honestly glad about, I’ve met too many roleplayers who tried doing goofy stuff with Atomic, like claiming to teleport by moving all of your atoms exactly to a different location, as if you could focus enough to arrange each atom perfectly, and as if their mastery and magic energy were high enough to pull such a thing off and move atoms at that speed :skull: :skull: :skull:

Promethean Fire will likely not be returning in AO, which I’m also glad about. Too many people wanted it, without Promethean Fire there’ll be much more variety in ancient magic users. Also, in my opinion, Promethean Fire is so powerful that putting it on the same tier as Inferno and Scorch should be a war crime. It’s beyond Ancient, and would easily overshadow both Inferno and Scorch as the better grand fire magic.

Casting styles will work differently in AO I believe. They won’t be dependent on tiers, at a low magic level you’ll gain the ability to cast it in any style you want, including one-handed.

Thank you for starting this topic, it was fun to remember everything and talk about it for a while. Helps distract me from some less-than-favorable things going on lately. :+1:

4 Likes