Rehabilitating Lost Sailors

Rehabilitating Lost Sailors
effort 4.25 4 quality 4.0 4 reasonability 3.5 4

They technically aren’t Atlanteans yet, and have yet to undergo any of the Dark Sea’s mutations. You can’t get Atlantean essence from them, and apart from their weird face, they look completely like any other human. They don’t have absurd powers, weird-looking limbs, nor super-running speed. As far as I can tell, they’re just some random dudes with a little too much going on in their brains.

My suggestion is giving Lost Sailors the “knockdown” mechanic that party players currently have in the Dark Sea: when taking lethal damage, instead of them dying outright, they’ll remain immobile on the ground for some time before eventually dying if left alone.

When this happens, players can begin a process of rehabilitating the Lost Sailor:

1. Players can cuff unconscious Lost Sailors via an interaction, before hauling them back to their boat and sitting them down on the deck just like how players normally interact with Sealed Chests.
  2. When exiting the Dark Sea, players will then be able to administer a Warding potion to Lost Sailors. The tier/potency/type of potion doesn’t matter, so it’s not worth sacrificing so many Gold Petals just to cure them. Splash potions will afflict all Lost Sailors in an area, which may be a cheaper alternative if you have a lot Sailors.
  3. Wait 30 seconds to 2 minutes, the higher the Lost Sailor’s level, the longer it’ll take.
  4. Let the Lost Sailor come back to their senses, which is evident by their nametag changing from purple to gray (neutral), and their face becoming more human. They’ll utter a phrase in chat like “Wh- What? Where am I?” or something along those lines. Along with their nametag’s color, their name will change from “Lost Sailor” to “Saved Sailor.” (I suppose they might not remember their actual names). You can now talk to them, but they’re still in kind of a dazed state so you won’t really get that much out of them.
  5. Drop them off at a civilized island for a more bountiful reward than rescuing normal castaways. Greater renown increase (I’m thinking like 400-500), more galleons, and a higher chance of getting absurd fish and rarer treasure charts (but no Massive fish because that’s too broken). They’ll say something really grateful before bugging off to rejoin society.

Negative rep players can uncuff the Lost Sailors after administering Warding but before they’re cured, allowing the Lost Sailor to awaken and attack the player. Killing a Lost Sailor after bringing them into the War Seas will result in a renown drop.

This gives us something more to do in the DS than just painfully hunting islands for Sealed Chests all the time.

5 Likes

they dont know, keep the illusion going

oh…rats

welp that just destroyed my entire argument

I would have this be a chance (maybe 1/10) and limit the amount you can have on your ship to the same amount of castaways you can save. Because of the limited amount you can save I’d say giving them a fairly uncommon chance to give you a massive fish is fair.

I like this idea

and yeah dash the atlantean essence drop from them

this is bad because it makes no sense that warding makes them human

I mean they were already human to begin with :fr:

so are atlanteans

they don’t become atlantean bec of insanity that’s bec of rain

warding blocks insanity it doesn’t inverse magic effects

well Im not talking about atlanteans, Im talking about lost sailors

lost sailors become atlanteans

well they havent become atlanteans yet, so what Im proposing is we turn them back before they go too far.

Too much to comprehend?

bro I said warding doesn’t do that

warding counters insanity, which is close to what Lost Sailors can be described as having, attacking everyone they see and such

no because they are transformed cause of dark sea rain magic energy whereas warding just stops insanity

how are they transformed when they havent mutated into atlanteans yet? It’s their minds that have been broken so far, they dont have any mutations

I suppose that kind of makes sense

if they’re still 100% human

Good point. However, insanity does stuff to your mind that i’m not sure can be reversed with a simple potion or two (looking at damage from higher insanity levels, you straight up lose it after a few seconds)

Not saying that the suggestion is bad though, it’s actually a pretty interesting concept :+1:

yeah, theres still some stuff to revise like the atlantean essence and such on my part. Thing is it feels kinda expensive to dedicate healing pots to lost sailors, so I went with warding instead.

Unless people are okay with a completely different potion for this sort of thing

i don’t think any potions or therapy is gonna work on those fellas with the state they’re in

Warding only blocks out the effects from the magic pollution, healing repairs the body. None of them reverses the damage dealt to the mind to my knowledge.

This is a pretty cool idea! The castaways of the dark sea… Although, they do drop atlantean esscenses! Would be cool to see this I suppose…