Replace The Grand Navy to Better Suit AO's Setting

The Kingdoms

Alright, so I already know this sounds completely insane right off the bat.
“The grand navy hasn’t even been added yet, why are you suggesting to remove/replace it???”
That’s simple, its literally the AG from AA and everybody hated the AG, even positive reps, not to mention that their concept is boring and has already been done before when there’s a way better solution that fits the game’s setting way better.

Instead of just having a joinable single governmental force that would rapidly become the exact same toxic cesspool the AG was (and the GN will inevitably become), every kingdom should be its own governing force.

How would this work? Instead of committing a crime and having the exact same copy-paste soldiers show up from thin air or whatever, the soldiers you encounter are based on whatever kingdom you’re within the boarders of. If you’re not within the boarders of a kingdom, then the soldiers that respond are dependent on the NPC’s/Player’s affiliation.
If they are a part of a kingdom, that kingdom’s soldiers will arrive to arrest/kill you.

As for the soldiers, every kingdom would have its own soldiers that would behave differently from the other kingdoms, for example, lets say that a kingdom that replaced the GN would be focused around melee weapons with only higher ranking units using magic.
Another kingdom with a style fitting closer to the existing MC would be entirely focused on magic.
There’s most certainly enough possibilites to make up for all of the kingdoms vetex plans to add and keep them unique unless he plans to add an absolutely obnoxious amount of kingdoms.
Low ranks use magic; high ranks use weapons and vise versa.
Everybody can use anything.
Melee soldiers that get up close with magic soldiers that bombard you at range, ect ect.
There’s all sorts of potential here with this setting that having a single governing force doesn’t seem like a good idea.

Lore-wise

This makes much more sense than a single governing force too, with all these powerful curse users around warring against each other, how the heck would anybody even try to step up to become a ‘unifying force’ when the only thing anybody ends up unified on is destroying them?
These are the War Seas. Emphasis on War. There is no central government that’s going to protect literally everybody. That makes no sense.

Gameplay-wise

This would add more NPC factions/guilds to join/fight and provide much more enemy variety while also making it so that you don’t encounter the exact same singular NPC faction repetitively from the start to the end to try and stop you from doing whatever the heck you’re doing.

As for joining each kingdom, as no NPC faction in WoM has been made joinable yet, I have no idea what the benefits/downsides would be nor do I know how exactly it would work.
Most likely by talking to a recruiter.
You would only get infamy (or whatever its kingdom equal would be called) from killing players belonging to a different kingdom or players that are enemies to your kingdom (explained later).

The Reputation System

Every kingdom should have its own reputation bar that shows when you are within the boarders of that kingdom, each kingdom could also interact with you differently depending on your standings with the other kingdoms later on when all of the kingdoms actually exist.
This would make it so that you could walk into one kingdom and cause utter chaos and then walk into another one and be friendly specifically because they’re completely different kingdoms.
Having a negative rep for a kingdom makes you an enemy of that kingdom, meaning that players who are a part of that kingdom can kill you for rewards even if you’re not part of a guild or enemy kingdom.
It’d basically be the exact same thing we have right now except split between kingdoms for the sake of logic.

Tl;Dr :
1: Give each kingdom its own governing force and soldiers rather than the exact same enemy faction repetitively.
2: Separate the reputation stat between each kingdom, as they’re warring against eachother and wouldn’t be angry if you attacked their enemy for them.

Feedback is appreciated.
Edit1: Condensed some text and fixed a couple errors.

sounds like starscape’s faction system but you can actually join them. voted

8 Likes

this is actually pretty cool, reminds me of what deepwoken is supposed to be, very nice, although i do think that some sort of governing force could still be added while keeping all your ideas, It would tie in the lore, the gameplay, the story, and overall be pretty cool. voted.

I just want a huge open world concept game with factions and governments and magic and allies and clans man

2 Likes

would be cool

one more thing i want to add: this would fit into the lore alot more than having just the grand navy out there

4 Likes

The governing force would be the kingdoms, the idea is to separate the grand navy out in a way that makes sense and adds more variety to the game’s areas and interactions with said areas.
Right now the idea is: You attack kingdom X and a bunch of grand navy soldiers show up, you attack any kingdom and this happens.
This idea is: You commit crimes within the boarders of kingdom X and kingdom X defends its self rather than relying on a central government that protects literally everybody for god knows what reason. Attacking any other kingdom will result in them defending theirselves in a similar fashion but with different methods.

1 Like

Yes it would, other than the toxic cesspool the GN is 100% going to become when/if it were to become player joinable, that’s the other reason I decided to suggest this, it makes way more sense.

this is pretty neat but the gn could potentially still exist where lots of smaller kingdoms that can’t defend themselves too greatly would rely on the gn’s power to assist i them and pay them to help them out.

or something like in one piece or so with the marines or so where kingdoms are allied with another and the gn is just a formation of kingdoms to defend and keep themselves and other kingdoms in check ig. what do you think? ;-;

but yeah the ag was just yikes and is like that in AR iirc

(incase my point isn’t clear basically instead of removing gn (which idrc if it happens tbh) maybe downgrade them to be one of the major powers and kingdoms that can defend themselves have their own stuff still)

2 Likes

i think this is the idea vetex is actually going for anyway lol

I think it’d be better for the lore if the GN just didn’t exist or got stomped out before it became anything big.
If it tried to protect smaller kingdoms:
1: Why???
2: It’d get stomped out by larger kingdoms that want land immediately according to logic.
3: They have basically nothing to gain from this, and if the AG has taught me anything, they won’t do crap if they have nothing to gain.

If it tried to protect literally everyone.
1: WHY??? Most kingdoms should already have their own fighting force, otherwise there wouldn’t be any war and the GN would be rendered useless anyways.
2: Its the war seas, not the love and peace seas.
3: B o r i n g .

Plot holes are bad and the GN is literally just a plot hole.

3 Likes

indeed a very good point but it’s just a thought i had, drc if gn goes or not but it’s honestly much more interesting to have kingdoms do their own thing

I believed the Grand Navy will serve more as a role that attempts to rule over everything but fails since there’s so many warring kingdoms in the War Seas. I think in AO the Grand Navy will purposely serve as a government that has almost the same power as every other kingdom except with a tiny bit more power.

By attempting to rule over everything, that’s basically declaring war on literally everyone at once.
They’d get destroyed immediately by doing that.

The real question is how many kingdoms would unify for all of 30 seconds to obliterate them before going back to murdering each other.
As they say, “The enemy of my enemy is my friend unless the enemy of my enemy is also my enemy and- you know what lets just kill it.”

2 Likes

Yes please very cool.

So now villains can actually live properly. Fleeing from kingdom to kingdom waiting for their reputation in each area to go down or something XD.

Its more of actually being friendly in one kingdom then going out and nuking another kingdom while everybody else is just fine with that since nobody liked that kingdom anyways.

If you want to be outright evil and against everyone, have fun traveling as you’ve successfully united all of the kingdoms to a single goal: Killing you repetitively.

Lmao

yoo, actually a really good suggestion. Voted

Sounds good

I feel like this would be way more fitting, and the basic “you’re good guy or bad guy” reputation system hasn’t aged too well.

Honestly tho why would there be a government dealing with everyone’s problems in a part of the world full of kingdoms at war?