Rework for Single Sword skills

Rework for Single Sword skills
effort 3.333333333333333 3 quality 4.0 2 reasonability 3.666666666666667 3

Some thoughts I’ve been having

Right now, you tend to see every weapon type being used by someone at some point, some more often than others. But the one thing I personally haven’t seen used by anyone other than Ravenna guards; single swords.

Some info I’ve gathered, and what could possibly be done

Right now if you asked a Warrior, Warlord, Conjurer, or anyone using weapons as a whole, what they would use in terms of weapon types, you will never get someone saying they would use single swords over dual swords or katanas. This is most likely due to the very weak skill set they have been given, with a rather small self AOE, and a grab attack. This could potentially be fixed by making changes to Whirlwind as a skill (Balance Changes Thread), but since that’s currently addressed, I want to focus on Tiger Rush.

Tiger Rush is a grab move, of which are much harder to land than most other skills in PvE or PvP, with or without any changes made to make grabs land more consistently. Not to mention, Tiger Rush does not work on bosses. The way I think Tiger Rush as a skill should be handled, is that it should be replaced by something akin to a singular version of Twin Crescents, or in a way, like Flying Slash. What single swords lack most is any ranged options at all, which dual swords, katanas, claws, and even staffs have. This skill would maybe do just a bit less than both Twin Crescents slashes landing, but you would stay in the animation for less time overall.

Reason to change

Right now with how weapon types have been performing and due to the nature of combat, a weapon type without ranged options simply cannot compete with all the other weapon types. A change like this would hopefully cause single swords to be considered over some other weapon types, and hopefully push them back to being a viable option that can possibly compete with some of the most used weapon types.

This can also maybe remedy the issue Sunken Sword has, as it has severely been left behind with the new options we have, which aren’t even anything more than uncommon boss/mini-boss drops. It has lost most if not all reliability it once had. Introducing a ranged option for single swords will hopefully not only just make the weapon type as a whole reliable, but also make Sunken Sword something more than just a value stick in AO.

1 Like

Buffing the single sword (which I didn’t even know existed) with a ranged attack would make it balanced. However, this also raises the question of how much variety weapon builds truly have. If every weapon has a ranged option (which is usually a reskinned magic blast but sometimes a bit different or harder to hit), then aren’t weapons kind of… not unique? I have a warlord build and the weapons really don’t feel that different, it’s the melee or movement skills that makes them unique. I would give the single sword a different niche so it isn’t just a “you can copy my homework but change it a bit” type of thing. Also these are weapons, it’s fine to have some ranged options but not every sword needs to fire a projectile.

2 Likes

This is true, I think anything to shake single swords up would work really. A grab attack would be a good idea, but they really just don’t perform well at all compared to other options. Maybe some sort of counter skill?

Single Sword refers to the weapon class containing weapons like old sword and sunken sword

like how there’s dual swords, spears, staff weapons, hammers, ect.

I don’t think substituting tiger rush with another slash projectile (wooo 4 different slash projectiles) will help.

Having a slash projectile does not complement whirlwind, which requires you to be up close to hit. Maybe have whirlwind delete all projectiles nearby (similar to tempest but much shorter) and maybe remove tiger rush in general for a more defensive move, since weapons lack defensive options in general (other than the block and parry buff, shields have 2 offensive moves for some reason) and gives weapons some variety + giving single sword an unique identity.

Additionally, weapons do not need projectiles to be good. Greatswords (ik mountain wind is kinda a projectile but its not really used like one), rapiers, and triasta are all good options that do not have a projectile in their kit (pvp wise, rapier and triasta suck in pve)

I think a counter skill would most likely work best then, and could possibly be made to pair well with Whirlwind. A counter skill could work kind of like a guard, but you take less damage than normally blocking with the sword, and it can propel you towards the attacker in a way? I don’t know if it should necessarily do a big amount of damage at all but would be neat as a way to close the gap without being a direct copy of every other Sword Draw, and would be more unique than my original suggestion.

I like the idea, but it still feels pretty bad, a gap closer that doesnt prevent all damage and requires you to counter to use it. Maybe turn tiger rush into a counter, where if you counter a skill, you auto dash quickly towards the enemy and do the normal tiger rush to them.

1 Like

Actually pretty fond of this idea, would work a lot better and could turn Tiger Rush into something more than just “Press E and gamble whether you go far or go only 1 meter, and then pray it even lands”

mhm, we need more defensive options in general. i’d def use single sword if this was added

Would you mind if I did a revision and linked your reply? I think changing Tiger Rush would work like that is honestly the best move, any counter/guard attacks would be neat and it’d keep Tiger Rush and turn it into a viable option

1 Like

go ahead, i wouldn’t have thought about a single sword rework if i didnt see this post b/c theyre just so forgettable lol

1 Like

Can we keep tiger rush on sunken plz e.e

Why? As it is right now it really ruins half of the current skill set and is very much so not viable

Also, Tiger rush change

I use it for combos since I can actually hit it

why does every grab in the entire game phase directly through every opponent that I try to use them on then?

The proposed changes in the replies would still allow for comboing but it would be significantly easier to land and consistency would be down to the user, not the game

There are plenty of weapon projectiles as of now. I don’t think Tiger Rush needs a rework to be something similar to other weapons. I would LOVE to see a sword skill that’s sorta like Shockwave Smash in hitbox, but a slash instead.

1 Like

I think the whole counter idea could be interesting as well, I would’ve edited the suggestion to link that instead since it was more unique but slowmode has me feeling all kinds of pain. This would also be pretty cool though

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.