[Short Story] A Lover’s Mission [1/5]

I failed at Seasoned Writer because I haven’t posted enough but that won’t stop me! Heres the submission thingy that I sent and Liu said it was a bit short so I guess here’s a short story for you all.

Rain poured over Angelie’s body as darkness swallowed the surrounding area of the gravesite. In front of her stood a stone gravestone that stated: “Here Lies Gregory Jones, A Man Of A Thousand Words” . If only that statement were the truest to Angelie. To her, Gregory was a man of a thousand words, but more than that, he was a man of a thousand mysteries.

Posters of George were up all over Summer Hold. In any shop, wall, or alley, a poster was attached with his gleeful face and the word ‘Missing’ down below. Angelie was putting one of the last posters on the wall of the local fishing shop. Just then the door to the shop opened quickly.

“Hey you, get your papers off of my shop!” An old man appeared from the door in a stereotypical fisherman attire.

“Oh- I’m sorry sir! It’s just that my husband has been missing for quite a while and I-” The fisherman clerk then quickly interjected.

“I don’t care if your dogs been eaten, cats been dwindled off somehwere, your bird doesn’t sing anymore, or if the Magic Council put you on trial, NO PAPERS ON MY STORE!!!” The door then quickly slammed shut as the clerk looked intensely through the store window.

Angelie then carefully took the poster down and walked silently away. It seemed as though the posters weren’t quite as effective as she first thought them to be. She decided to craft up a new plan.

Angelie stood closely in front of the doors of the huge tower in the middle of Summer Hold where King David Silver lives. With her right hand, a group of papers were gathered in a pile and the other used to take them out.

Throughout the whole day, Angelie showed person to person the image of her missing husband. The use of almost all of her galleons weren’t going to go to waste and she was determined to find someone who knew of George. As townsfolk wandered the streets and visitors came and went, Angelie was out handing out her papers.

Once sunset arose, hope seemed to be lost. She had ended up with only about 10 papers in her hands and her eyes represented tiredness itself. Angelie then went up to a man in a red coat, an out of the ordinary color to be wearing.

“You sir with the red coat, have you seen my husband?!” Her face grew with determination as she held out the paper straight out with her hand. The man then grabbed the paper and closely analyzed the photo.

“Hmm, it appears that I recognize this man from somewhere. In fact, I believe I saw him days ago.” The man said in a deep, somber tone.

“You do! Where can I find him!”

“Well, it’s hard to say… wait, I remember now. He’s a member of the guild that I’m in.”

“A guild? I think you’re mistaken, my husband isn’t apart and has never been apart of a guild!”

“Men from many walks of life are apart of the group I’m in. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s gone missing because of something he did.”

“Something he did… wait, what guild are you apart of anyway?”

“We’re called the Grinning Reapers, give us a message one day.”

“A message? But how would I-” The man then began to disappear into the crowd. Before he fully vanished, a card with a scythe on it dropped onto the floor. Angelie quickly remembered this symbol as she’s seen it once or twice in her husband’s drawers. She quickly began to run home.

As she entered inside, she slammed the door behind her, heading straight towards her room. She then passed the first drawer on the left side of the room and immediately went towards the right one, her husband’s. She rummaged through clothes, gadgets, and many more items when she noticed the same symbol as on the card but in on a piece of paper and in the form of a letter. She delicately flipped over the letter, her fingers shaking with unease.

“Oh George, what did you get yourself into?”

4 Likes

Yo this is good

2 Likes

Lit :flushed:

1 Like

If you want to pass the seasoned writer “entrance exam”, your story/chapter has to be 750+ words. If you want to check that, go into google docs, paste your story, and press ctrl shift c. From there you can see character (letter) count and word count.

Also, decent story.

1 Like

cry (I will now abuse mod powers)