Sirens of the dark sea

Sirens of the dark sea
effort 5.0 5 quality 5.0 5 reasonability 4.6 5

Sirens are entities that are found exclusively in the dark sea. Rumours and old sailor tales depict them as both beautiful and eerie to look at. They are said to have an enchanting voices which are hard to resist and are found on rocky islands.

The siren song:
Rarely when traversing the dark seas will a player be able to hear a faint song being echoed amongst the crashing waves. Travelling in it’s direction will make the song more louder and audible. Those who have come close enough to the singing sirens will have their insanity level lowered temporarily (e.g. level 2 insanity → level 1 insanity).

Sirens appearance:
Sirens at first encounter are attractive creatures with many human features. in fact some sirens look exactly like humans. However, their mouths will be unusually larger than humans.

Interacting with sirens:
Sirens are passive creatures on encounter and will not move towards the player at first. They will continue singing even after seeing the player and lower their sanity keeping the player at ease. However, if the player attempts to make physical contact or draws too close the siren will change towards a more grotesque appearance and begin attacking the player and increase their insanity level by 2 (1 level for the initial lowered insanity + an extra insanity level).

sirens are usually in packs of 3 or more and can attack in groups.

Sirens attacks:
Sirens will now start singing dreadful songs and eerie weeping and be able to shoot harmful sound waves at the direction of the player. Players hit will have their screen shaken and lose their balance for a bit.

Sirens have dangerous magic infused skin which reflect a small amount of damage when hit.

They are able to grab the player if they get to close and take a bite to drain the players health.

Sirens can use a little water magic to hunt the player, they are also able to swim and chase damage boats.

Siren treasure:
Sirens usually have treasure hidden in the islands they reside in. However it is difficult to collect these treasures and bring them back since the sirens are very aggressive when players get close. (I haven’t thought of what treasures to add here but some ideas is the scaled armour set which is like a spiky armour set).

Siren drops:
Sirens can be killed for their rare drops.

Sirens scale - can be used to make the siren potion which makes the sirens non-aggressive towards players. However the potion also increases insanity.

Sirens heart - A scaly heart that can be crafted into a scaled jewel to be socketed into armour. The stats provided are damage reflection (think thorns from Minecraft)

The weeping siren:
This is a siren mini boss that has a 1/3 chance of spawning at a siren island near a player. The weeping siren will cry with the voice of a child which will overshadow the singing of the other sirens.

When encountered the weeping siren will become aggressive and attack the player. They will have all the abilities of the normal sirens however will be able to use water magic to a higher level making them more dangerous.

They will also be able to poison the player with their attacks due to their poisonous tears.

Weeping siren drops:
The weeping siren will drop everything the normal sirens will drop with the addition of the sirens chord and sirens tear:

Sirens chord - a unique weapon that can use sound waves to attack. A knockback weapon that also screen shakes the enemy.

Sirens tear - haven’t thought of anything except it will definitely revolve around poison.

10 Likes

Honestly I love the idea of this and it would do some good in making the Dark sea a real place of horror.

2 Likes

Coolio, but I don’t think players will as easily fall for it if there aren’t occasional normal NPCs in the dark sea. Maybe have sirens sometimes look like standard castaways, too.

4 Likes

Well in terms of falling for it that isn’t the exact goal of sirens. I want it to give players a choice, either avoid the songs because they are scared to deal with sirens or go towards the song to get the insanity level decrease and farm the sirens (id they are strong enough). Also sirens will lead players to their rocky islands for their treasure so people could be actively hunting them if the rewards are good.

1 Like

Non psychopaths that play without sound on:
F0TeSY0WYAcwaTx

2 Likes

I love the idea of bringing in more of the greek myth in the dark seas.

I think also adding third type of sirens that disguise as castaways. This type will always be alone and won’t sing but they will shout for help from further distance and more often and when you go to save them they will attack you but if you will just swim near them they will also attack you and if you will swim past them but not so close they will ignore you. They will have only 85% of normal health and because they are alone they shouldn’t be as hard to deal with.

mmm my daily dose of analog horror while playing at 3 in the morning, i love it

i play without sound tho

Probably could be found when going deeper to the dark sea. Makes exploration a tad bit more interesting.

2 Likes

Could we have some visual (like music notes) for those who dont play with sound e.e

The crew can start talking about hearing a strange song and their could be like wind trails that come from the direction

:+1:

“Why do I hear boss music?”
-Edward Kenton

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.