Some information on curses

The term has always existed for a long time iirc. Even the old, somewhat outdated Arcane Lore Encyclopedia mentioned them as such, and the statement is dated at 2019. Here’s the statement:

“Some curses just augment the user’s abilities rather than turning them into an element. These types of curses are extremely rare because they were the first experimental curses, but were deemed defective because they caused a lot of strain and weren’t effective. These are known as External Curses.”

The earliest mention of Creation as an entity was also in 2019. So I’d assume a lot of the lore regarding this subject hadnt changed much, just got transferred from WoM to AO.

EDIT: Vetex also mentioned this too in 2021

Since these Curses were created as experiments, they were called Experimental Curses. If your fan-made Curse doesnt have this origin, then just call it an External Curse.

Gotcha, it would probably be just an external curse since I’m thinking of having it made after the war. I’ll make a topic at some point so people can help me build it further, but for now I’ll just say the curse I’m making is called the The Knowledge Curse.

There is this small tought that came to my mind, what if absorption curse having spirit energy was the main factor that made durza develop dead revival magic?
Spirit energy, the energy of creation and life, being mixed with the huge amount of chaos energy could have created something so powerful that could revive anyone and make them a perfect puppet

My lobotomy curse will solo the verse.

even vetex remembers this

Yea, none of the external curses have a magic probably, but let me dream about stupid funny stuff, man

no, spirit energy is just what the gods used to make experimental curses and spirit energy is how those curses use their powers, it didn’t give him the ability to use spirit energy attacks or anything like that

12 Likes

yea ideally i want everything to be explained ingame but it has to be paced in a good way, don’t want to just dump the entire lores verse onto the player in the first 2 seas

12 Likes

Are the other experimental curses currently unknown to us or are they simply the external curses?

experimental curses are “external curses”, idk where that term came from but I’ve always called them elemental and experimental curses, not internal and external

7 Likes

I remember the term “external” from the old AA wiki, back when it was the AA wiki and before AR

maybe it was techlevel? Its so weird hearing that external curses are actually called experimental now

1 Like

Yeah they were called external curses on the old AA trellos. Until now I honestly thought the external curses being experiments by the gods was supposed to be secret lore, lol.

don’t wanna reply to him directly because i fear forum death but also “experimental curses” is a dumb name

tf you experimenting on? your capabilities? are the gods experimenting on you? that makes sense but the gods are dead the name’s outdated

Maybe it is what will happen to humanity if these powers are introduced.

I think they were named like that because they were created as experiments by the Gods. Even if they’re dead, the Curses are still defective with their powers, and it feels like youre basically using something that isnt exactly well put together and was just made whenever. I think the name still works.

We only know two, and those might be the only well-functioning ones, we dont know about other Curses, and they might suck in comparison.

3 Likes

The way i see it, due to Durza having to use a different method to drain a Curse from someone compared to a Magic, Curses use a unique form of magic energy thats fundamentally different, but similar.

do we have a list of experimental curses?
shockwave(?), lazarus, growth, energy, absorption

There was also Time but that was decanonized.

I’m pretty sure Shockwave is an experimental curse, yes.