Stop using depth of field

Stop using depth of field! I’m tired of seeing it! World of magic uses it, Roblox default templates use it. I was playing Grand Piece Online, right, and there was so much depth of field, it hurt my eyes! I showed Era of Althea to my brother and I said “LOOK AT THIS, I’M NEARSIGHTED!” HA HA! I can’t see properly in a game, I think “HOW REALISTIC.” I join a game, it’s painful to look at, I IMMEDIATELY LEAVE. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

1 Like

The depth of field isn’t even that bad

I think you actually need to wear glasses

1 Like

I agree with what level says, to a certain degree depth of field is okay since it adds realism to the game and imo makes it look better. also wom & gpo barely use any, the only DoF thats there only appears at long distances

I do wear glasses lol

get a pair thats actually made with your prescription then

That’s not how nearsightedness works lol
the screen is right in front of me so I can see it clearly
I do need new glasses though

wow my bad for not knowing the exact type of bad genes youve got

Eh, depth of field’s alright I guess. It gives some sort of nice vibe to the game though only if it feels like it suited the surroundings. Era of Althea’s depth of field just doesn’t feel alright since it isnt suited with the surroundings.

???

Since when do things get blurrier the farther away they are?
They do for me but that’s because there’s something wrong with my eyes

This sounds like a bad case of skill issue

1 Like

You are skill issue.
Come back to me when you’re better at the forums, scrub.

No, no, no, no, no, it is you who is skill issue

But your skill issue is larger. Almost as large as your mom, in fact.

Ah but your skill issue is farther than your field of vision

So not far?
because I can’t read a street sign from 15 feet away without my glasses

they dont exactly get blurrier but details become harder to spot at longer distances such as in this example https://youtu.be/tB5-JahAXfc?t=25
creating a sense of distance invideogames is difficult to do since everything is in 2d so depth of field is a good way to add a sense of realism into games such as wom or gpo

:3

1 Like

Whoah the video looks cool. Didnt know squinting your eyes can filter blurred images.

From my understanding of a cinematic/photography standpoint, DoF and blur is used in shots to strategically highlight the place you should be focused on, not realism. A place is blurred? Maybe you’re not supposed to be focusing there. For example, the leaf in the photo below has background DoF because you’re supposed to focus on the leaf and the way the sun is hitting it. image
Another example in a storytelling medium is in Genshin, during a story quest that I won’t spoil because it’s kinda major. The camera zooms into the protagonists first person perspective, the first time it’s done that outside of hangout events. However, the background behind Paimon is (slightly) blurred, and Paimon is talking like she wants you to hurry out of wherever they are right now. DoF in here is used to subtly nudge the audience in a certain direction, and make them focus on only Paimon and what she’s saying.

There are some examples of when/how not to use DoF. I think the way you’ve seen DoF used has been mostly utilized by amateurs who don’t exactly know what they’re doing and are just trying to make things more “realistic.”

3 Likes

I know, DoF does have its applications. Its main purpose is to replicate camera focus, but that’s not how people use it.