Tale of Chad Altaïr, Guardian of Redwake (Chapter 4)

Like every other chapter, expect some spag errors (but they should less errors this time)

Day 93:
Since Redwake folks are too scared of me even though the doctor removed everything that could possibly make people think I’m an atlantean, I am writing this in the captain’s quarters of the good old decaying ship that I travelled on for 93 days.

Even though the doctor’s description of Gabriel was absolutely not accurate to what I remembered of him, he was, indeed, the Gabriel I knew.
One of the first thing I asked was why he lost his right hand, and the answer was kind of surprising. It was because of a shark he fought during a training to learn some sort of fighting style named “Sailor Style“. I really didn’t get why he would need his fists to fight since he’s such a powerful Light Magic user, and that is what I asked him afterwards. Instantly, it’s like his face became hollow, devoided of any emotions, except a deep sadness in his answer. Strangely, these words gave me chills down the spine.
”I… just can’t. Not after this, not after what I did.”
When he said this, he looked at his remaining hand, and I noticed he had two rings on it. I immediately understood it was linked to his current incapacity to use magic.
We drank a bit and told each other what we’ve done since the last time we saw each other. After that, I tried to get a room in the Red Fin, but I would have better chances at finding an intelligent White Eyes rather than getting a room, so instead I went to the boat.

Day 94:
I think describing this day as a shitty day is quite an understatement.
Let’s say that waking up because some guy is screaming at the top of his lungs and charging at you with a knife is not the ideal way of waking up.
He probably wasn’t a Redwake native, because you could see this was the first time he was holding a weapon. I swiftly grabbed his hand, took the knife, and threw it away. The guy was cowering in fear, saying things like ”is this really how I’m going to die?”. I just ignored him and went outside the boat…
Only to get hit in the face by a tomato. Even with my special sensing ability, I must say that I didn’t see it coming.
The person who threw it was a woman, there was dread in her eyes. I wanted to approach to reassure her, but that’s when the guards supposed to watch me finally came. Eliott was behind arguing with one of the guard about letting in someone with “a fucking knife“. But at 1 against 4, I guess his opinion didn’t matter a lot. Before the guard said something I realised that someone painted the word “Monster“ on the boat’s deck. Then the guard that prevented me to reassure the woman warned me that I can’t approach anyone (except the guards). I guess that it was gonna make my plan a little bit harder.

Ah yes, my plan. I forgot to put it in Day 93’s entry, but to make it simple, I wanted to help around Redwake so people would accept me to tip the scales in my favor when Alfarin will make his choice. But since I can’t approach said people I want to help, that is going to be complicated.

Fortunately, I managed to convince the guards (with Eliott’s help) to let me fish with the fishermen, at one condition: I can fish, but another person must take the fish of the bait (Gabriel took care of that), in case I “corrupt it“ with my “filthy hands“. That is also how I came to the conclusion that if you put a skyhallian and these people in a room and make them do some sort of racism battle, it simply wouldn’t end.
The fishermen were not approaching me, but I could sense their eyes piercing through me with suspicion, almost like they were waiting for me to do something.

I am kind of starving. Why? Simply because I haven’t eat in a lot of days (something around 10 days), and I didn’t eat today because I also wasn’t allowed to touch the damned food. THE FOOD! I was suspecting something, hoping the future wouldn’t approve my thoughts.

The day ended with me still needing to sleep in the ship, caught only 5 fishes (at least they were kind of big), having helped nobody, starving, and the feeling I wouldn’t wake up peacefully next morning too.

Day 95:
Well, waking up was peaceful, but not what came right after. Imagine waking up with a sword on your neck. And it wasn’t even a terrified refugee, no it was the guards. They were asking me to “reveal my true form“, like I was hiding some kind of beast. I tried to explain that I was ok, but they were not convinced at all, and Eliott was nowhere to be seen. When I asked them were he was, they just told me they “put him to sleep for some time“.
Fortunately, Gabriel came to see me, and he assisted to the scene. The guards told him to do nothing, but instead, he just hit them so hard and so fast they all passed out.
Afterwards, we found Eliott and we woke him up. Now that he was there to watch on me like he’s supposed to, Gabriel went to see Alfarin to report the incident.

This day, only Eliott was able to watch me, but Gabriel joined us during the afternoon. I was finally able to help some people, mostly kids that weren’t afraid of me.

And also, I was finally able to eat! Overall, this day was much better than… the 80+ days before. I hope I’ll finally be able to wake up peacefully tomorrow, the day Alfarin was supposed to take his decision, whether I should stay, or leave.

Day 96:
Since the Gods weren’t feeling like it, I, once again, woke up without being able to peacefully emerge from my sleep. But this time it was different.
I woke up to panicked screams, but they were coming from outside the ship.

I didn’t take long to understand what was happenning: an atlantean ship somehow managed to sail through the jaws to Redwake. I quickly found were the fight was taking place, and we were not winning.
I saw Eliott lying on the ground, several dead or almost dead warriors, several dead atlanteans, and Gabriel was kneeling to the atlantean, not because he was showing some respect to this beast. He was severly bleeding, and I understood why when I looked at the atlantean. Gabriel already lost his right hand, and now he was missing the whole arm. The beast was holding Gabriel’s right arm in its mouth.
This atlantean was the last alive, and it clearly was the strongest, considering it wasn’t showing any sign of injury, and also because its magic energy so pretty high.
I fought it for only the Gods now how long, and I don’t even know how am I still alive. When it finally collapsed to the ground, I didn’t have any energy left, but I thought that this fight was probably going to tip the scales in my favor.

It didn’t took long enough to know the answer, I could stay, and I’ve even been promoted to a high rank warrior immediately, since half of the warriors were dead.

Eliott survived the fight, but got infected. He was already mutating, and decided to kill himself instead of exile himself, as he didn’t want to become a future enemy. With all the blood Gabriel lost, I honestly wonder how is he still alive. I am currently writing this next to his hospital bed, waiting for him to wake up.

“Hey…“
Gabriel had woke up, and noticed Chad’s presence next to him. Hearing his friend, the new hero and guardian of Redwake turned to Gabriel.
”Are you ok?”
”If we forget the fact I lost my arm and lots of blood, yes, even though it could be better. Also now I understand why you had a bandana on your eyes.”
When Chad heard this, he immediately touched his face and noticed that nothing was covering his eyes. Before he could say something on this, Gabriel began to spoke:
”I… I think you deserve to know why… why I can’t use magic anymore. You’re my friend after all. Just promise me one thing, promise that you won’t interupt me.”
”I promise”
Gabriel didn’t say anything. Then, after a few seconds, he started his story.
”I learned I was able to use magic at a very young age. My parents were so proud of me, especially my mother, who was a magic user. Then, for all my childhood, she trained me, she noticed he was becoming stronger faster than most magic users. Sometimes, we both fought so she could test my ability to defend myself with magic. When I turned 20, my parents offered me a boat, so I could go explore the world. Soon after, I joined the Grand Navy, because I wanted to do good, help people. But some years after my recruitment, I leaved the Grand Navy while I was still able to do so without drawing to much attention, because the Navy was doing horrible things I didn’t want to take part in, and I went to explore the world. I came across your way some time after this, when you were still a pirate and tried to attack my boat.
When I turned 47, I wanted to see my parents again. So… I went to my native island.” Gabriel started to have some trouble telling his story, and started to cry.
“I stayed with them during 3 days. At… At the end of the third day, I… I wanted to fight my mother again so… so she could see how strong I’ve became. But, my… memories made her stronger than she really was. I casted a spell… and she… she just wasn’t strong… enough, to counter it. I… vaporized the area. Their only remains…. were the two rings I have. I wanted to die, but… the Gods decided my time didn’t come.“
Gabriel started to cry even more. Chad had nothing to say, he didn’t have anything to reply. So he didn’t talked, and just gave a hug to Gabriel until he stopped crying.

The End

1 Like