The Five Worlds Chapter 9: An Unexpected Friend

Other stories: The Five Worlds Information

Iggie led Emily most of the way. Through the forest, and towards Everglade. Emily was surprised that they were so close to her hometown. She thought the two of them had traveled much closer towards the king’s land rather than only a two days walk from her village. She also didn’t realize that the forest near her home was protected by a benevolent forest dragon older than her village was. Emily hadn’t seen any soldiers except once when she woke up in the fork of a tree to their passing nearby. Emily smelt the smoke before she saw the town.

Cresting the hill Emily laid her eyes upon a devastating sight. Everglade was ruins. The buildings were burned and farms trampled. The place she had spent her entire life growing up was now ash. All because Emily didn’t want Iggie to fall into the Duke’s hands. Emily stood looking down at the burnt town for a while before tears sprang to her eyes and she collapsed to the ground. On the top of a hill a young woman of 15 years was mourning the loss of her entire life and family. Everyone in the village was dead as far as Emily was concerned. There was no point in blaming Iggie for her own choices.

Unbeknownst to either Iggie or Emily a group of soldiers was traveling through that area looking for her. The sound of crying, if only faint, was enough that they could locate her position. Iggie noticed the soldiers coming long before Emily did, since she was grieving at the loss of her village.

Emily, there are soldiers approaching, Iggie tried to warn Emily.

“I don’t care let them take me, my home is gone, my family is likely dead and I have nothing left,” Emily yelled at the sky. If the soldiers hadn’t already known, they knew now. Emily came to her senses in time to realize her mistake. With Iggie next to her there was no way to prove she wasn’t some random girl in the hills. Running wouldn’t be an option and fighting experienced soldiers wouldn’t end well for her.

Emily got up to confront the soldiers, tears still stinging her eyes. She never got to though. The soldiers crested the hill with grins on their faces as they found their target. Those grins quickly turned into looks of horror. Iggie looked into the sky in the direction the soldiers were looking and wrapped around Emily’s neck. Emily felt talons close around her abdomen as she was getting ready to blast water at the soldiers. Emily was jerked into the air and whisked away into the sunny sky, losing the spell she was concentrating on.

“Wha? What?” sputtered Emily, looking at the talons grasped around her chest.

“Been awhile Emily,” the air dragon said, while speeding through the air. Unlike most dragons, Gale was born with the ability to speak the human language.

“Gale?!” Emily said awestruck. She recognised the voice because one never forgets a dragon of any kind.

“As always. I thought you ran away from Everglade. Why did you return?” Gale questioned Emily as he set her down on a cloud. Air dragons have the ability to condense clouds so one doesn’t fall straight through.

Emily sat down for a second looking around, over the edge was the ground too far for anything to survive and above was Nact, the star of Ellipse, floating across the sky. The rest of the cumulonimbus towered nearby and Iggie was floating there dazed from the speeds at which they just traveled. Emily also needed to catch her breath after that flight, before she could answer Gale’s question. “I was trying to find you,” Emily said, still gasping.

“What for?” Gale Inquired, tilting his head. Gale curled around Emily to keep her warm, his long serpentine body was great for cloud dancing.

Collapsing into Gale’s side as she did when she was younger, Emily answered, “I’m trying to find a human who will get me an audience with The King. I was told to get a dragon scale, an amethyst, and an unbreakable string of wool.”

“Who told you that?” Gale said, suddenly interested.

“A forest dragon named Naja Iguana. Iggie here let us communicate,” Emily said pointing at Iggie who was flopped onto her head again.

“I don’t like forest dragons. If it’ll help a resident of Everglade then I’ll help,” Gale replied, “I’ll lend you one of my scales and I can tell you how to get the wool as well.”

“Isn’t bumblefloof wool supposed to be indestructible and impossible to cut?” Emily asked.

“Maybe with magical means, but air dragons know how to get the wool. I must make sure you promise not to tell anyone first,” Gale stated.

“Okay. I promise,” Emily said, sincerely.

“If you want the wool of a bumblefloof, you must soak it completely with water,” Gale said.

“Just water? Wouldn’t we figure that out already?” Emily asked.

“No. Even your brightest scholars haven’t thought to soak the bumblefloof completely and try to get wool while it was still wet,” Gale said, sarcastically, “I’ll help you get some and let you be on your way. Sorry about your home, Emily.”

“Oh,” Emily paused, “It wasn’t your fault. Thanks for the help,” Emily looked saddened again with the memory of her village.

“Welp I guess off we go,” Gale said suddenly. One minute Emily was sitting on a cloud and the next she was falling through the sky. Emily was so startled that she had no time to yell when gale appeared beneath her and began flying through the sky. Iggie barely managed to catch up in time to hold onto Emily’s arm.

Question for readers: Should I add more chapters before chapter one,because it doesn’t make sense to a new reader who hasn’t read the information log, or continue with chapter 10?

• Chapters before
  • Chapter 10

0 voters

6 Likes

nah continue with chapter 10

the information log is legit linked right there.

ok.