The Galleonspiracy (why "value lists" are a scam)

I’d like to start with the fact that whoever came up with the idea of the Galleon is pretty damn smart.

Here are some points about why the Galleon is a scam/ripoff, whatever you’d like to call it once you read all this

1. Power in numbers
    They contact AO YouTubers to promote their trading hub. I don’t want to call out any people in specific, but look if some of you are going to witch-hunt people who got mentioned in a forum post about renown, I won’t imagine what else you angry Arcane Joes will do.

But anyway, if you watch slop content about AO, you’ll see that now and then, they’ll shout out the Galleon and post the invite in their description. Now I respect hustle, but this becomes more interesting the more you think about it.

The way the Galleon works is that they are a relatively popular server with a lot of people. This is why they are so eager to “sponsor” (in quotations because it is just a discord server and not a real-life business) Their popularity in a way validates their Value List even more. Because of this, people in the marketplace will look at someone using the Galleon Value List as a way to base prices. After all, why not trust The Galleon? They have thousands of people in there and everyone else seems to be using it.

Now what’s wrong with their Value List?

1. Decision-making on the value list is done by a small group of people, who are all rich in game
    When you look deeper into how they set up the value list, you’ll notice some things. First, the people who decide the value of this list are some of the richest players.

At first, this seems to be no big deal. The rich analysts own a mass amount of items, and they trade frequently. It’s their thing, they’re experienced in the market and they see when the value of an item goes down, or people just in general have a lack of demand or increased demand for something.

However, this line of thinking is inherently monopolistic, let me ease you into my third and biggest point here with this info,

1. The value list is made in such a way as to benefit the biggest traders
    I’ll get more on topic but bear with me and read this

The Galleon has a millionaire/leaderboard list. Let’s look at everyone on there.

And now their latest one,

There are far more people on this list however, notice how for the top 10-25 most wealthy people, none of the rankings have changed. Sure they might have lost some net worth, however most of it is acrimony or seasonal value going down (seasonals of which are worthless and propped up by value lists like this, I’ll get into this later someday on another post)

Earlier I mentioned analysts being rich and being in near complete control of the trading economy. If you take your time and scavenge through the arcane millionaires list, you’ll find that a good few of these rich people are also analysts on Discord. This becomes a concern.

A small group of people being able to take control of the economy of the game is a concern for the long-term health of how the game’s economy works, especially when they are representing only their interests instead of just sticking with the classic “bartering system” a game should run on. This bartering system is one where two players approach each other, and make a deal based on what they want from each other.

1. They essentially third-party their way into trades

Now you might just say to yourself, but by definition that is basically how the game’s economy is working right now. And you’d be a little wrong. With the value list being the reason items are the prices they are, the bartering system becomes rigged in a way.

It becomes rigged because instead of two players making a mutual deal through a “barter”, the value list has already negotiated on the price or value of the items they are already using.

As more and more people begin to use the Galleon’s value list, we will see a trend in the market. Almost all new items that drop in the future will remain expensive for around 1-3 months.

Don’t get quick to jump on me for that though. New items are always going to be pricey, but with the Galleon’s value list, prices are most likely to remain stagnant until the next update, given how the prices are set and how often they’re updated.

conclusion paragraph

So to make my misery end, I’m calling it here. Unfortunately, I haven’t gotten all my ideas and feelings out about the Galleon in just one more cohesive, and readable post. Because of this, I am 99.9% sure that this will read as a rant instead of a conspiracy post or whatever, a schizopost even. I just wanted to get this out there quickly.

If you have any questions for me or just an opinion you’d like to say, definitely contribute in the replies. I think this is worth talking about because the more you think about this situation, the deeper the rabbit hole gets.

17 Likes

Now one question yoou might have now is how do you run away from these heinous bloated prices?
Strike deals with kids in random servers or use vetex marketplace, it’s kind of easy. Though hopping betweens servers can be painful if you’re unlucky

mr arcane jones you actually make sense, in fact i suggested the interchange unobtainable variants to be added to the list and guess who i spoke to? H_ot, the second richest ao player who’s also an analyst!

does vetex marketplace really ignore the galleon that much?

You’re better off striking deals with smaller traders, or kids in random servers

It might be hard to ignore these fixed prices, but I’ve been lucky thus far in my business ventures

1 Like

ok thanks mr jones, very well thought out post. just from the top 10 i found that 2 of them are analysts, def sus

He doesn’t know that those richest players were also the richest dating back in Wom when headless was still valuable as fuck :fire:
And still is :fire:

3 years of work to get richest players tho ngl.

I had never even heard about the “Galleon”.

Anyways if I don’t want to trade I won’t, I once had a converstaion with someone who had a lot of rare items and wanted to trade for my sunken boots or helmet, I declined him and his friends who said a sunken helmet is only worth like 50k so you should just do the trade.

Anyways they killed me because I refused to trade when I didn’t want to, lost 5k galleons in cargo from that.

1 Like

tbh it’d be nice if they also had a value debate channel thats available to the public so they can also consider their opinions on whether the values are going up or down

I think it would be better for me to make a different post about this, but I’ll ball anyway:

Seasonals are no different than regular items, infact they’ll a little more worthless
You might say “but you cant make or generate seasonals”, let inform you of this:

Before byfron kicked in, there has been a couple duping incidents on AO.

Duped seasonals are definitely out there. I’ve heard of some people making a “dupe list” ( i cannot find any proof this exists ) however even with the item level wipe several of these are still in circulation.

3 years of work to get richest players tho ngl.

I don’t know if work is the right word for a childrens game, but we could call it that. A lot of this work is only validated by the value list. Seasonals dont give stats or anything, they have no PvE nor PvP use, making them useless.

1 Like

This is something that sounds good. However this could quickly turn into the balancecord of trading, I can’t imagine how much more moderation the server would need with that one channel.

And then there’s the question of them even considering taking advice from the channel,

The primary issue is that value lists are a flawed idea. Every trade is different

It was somewhat of a joke man :sob:
I didnt expect 3 paragraphs grah

My fault, I’m a little bit on the spectrum. You can probably figure that out already though, because I made an entire post about a discord server

1 Like

it is fine man, being able to write alot is something that i consider good, also just write about whatever comes to your head its fine, i made a paragraph about a joke suggestion like yesterday lol

1 Like

I’ll be honest nobody is going to ever be richer than BBII. They spotted the opportunity with headlesses right when they were new. Never heard of this value list. Don’t care about the value list. The top traders imo are the ones with reputation and knowledge.

Nah you good
Does expand the problem about the galleon/simplfies the problem

Defo helps out

brb im gonna do cargo and inflate the galleon more (thank the 500k galleon cap)

what is bro yapping about
literally only aimsell is promoting the galleon (game is game LOL he makes a ton of galleons from it)
if it helps people believe they’re actually making good trades then what’s really the problem, I only see this affecting people who didn’t give good trades to begin with.

This affects everyone.

The reason why the value list hurts business in general (at least not the top traders) is because it sets like a “required price” for each trade. While you’re independent to trade for what with whoever you want, your will to trade gets imposed on because it almost sets this requirement for both you and the person you’re trading with. The spirit of bartering gets destroyed

I only see this affecting people who didn’t give good trades to begin with

You’re giving the monopoly too much credit

Pump those numbers up. We need Weimar inflation