The State of Clans and Infamy

Alright, so with the recent change that increased the player cap from 5 to 18, and with infamy reenabled, I just want to talk about some concerns I had.

First off, the rate of infamy gain is like way too fast, and is only going to exponentially increase as the member cap keeps going up to 200. Like, (nothing against them) look at Suncry, who made 180,000 infamy in less than three days. Thats a lot, and it’ll only keep going up faster and faster as they get more members into the ingame guild. By the end of next week, I don’t doubt that they’ll hit Legendary Rank (1,000,000) at all. Literally hitting 2k would take weeks in WoM, but now it just takes a few hours for practically anyone.

The leaderboard went from having high quality members to just stockpiling as many as you could. To win in the new system, you just need to have as many players as you can invited, working now towards quantity instead of quality. It favors bigger clans, and those who began grinding the earliest (since infamy gain is time based), versus smaller ones that had to begin later.

Straight up, due to how islands give 20-80 infamy every 5 minutes, theres little reason not to just get flood a server and afk while claiming all the islands. You physically don’t have to try anymore, just have as many people as possible passively doing this. You could argue that you need at least one other clan in the server, but you could always just ask a friend to make a clan and join your server while you have a flood.
Now, you could turn in sealed chests and do bounties, but the amount of infamy you gain is miniscule compared to what you gain from islands, and the effort is a bit too much.

Personally, since Vetex already said that Infamy was gonna get reset after Early Access, I’d suggest that the gain you get from Island Capturing should be significantly lowered to like 2-5 per island, since it pretty much just rewarded you for sitting AFK at an island and flooding servers with your clan. In exchange though, actually doing stuff, like stealing islands, turning in sealed chests, etc, should be buffed a bunch, since you’re actually engaging in gameplay and y’know, doing stuff.

(He said this in the dev forum post)

But yeah, these are just my thoughts. I’d appreciate discussion on this topic, and your opinions on the matter.
Also uh, please no arguing :pray:

1 Like

Killing pirates ships, Ravenna ships, and other clan ships, etc. should give infamy.

The only ones that wouldn’t give infamy are clanless player ship

We should probably just lower the infamy gained from islands, maybe lower it to 5 or something. Then, increase infamy gain from players(have to be in a clan), make it like 10. That way, you actually need skill to get on the LB.

Killing ships already gives infamy. It’s called sealed chests.

Yeah, but compared to Islands, you get like a quarter as much for 3x the effort

sitting AFK at an island and flooding servers

no, this would put you low on the leaderboard.
It takes active grind to raise up infamy. The smart thing to do would be to separate through servers, claim harvest, and do sealed chests, which is the PERFECT kind of grind for infamy.

You get 40 infamy every 5 minutes on harvest.
A sealed chest is 10 infamy per.
You can easily get more than 4 chests in 5 minutes.
Even if you couldn’t, you’d still be making 1.5-2.0x more infamy if you’re grinding sealed chests, than you would if you only claimed an island and AFKed.
The system works. And it’s very evident especially from the gap between 2 and 3.
Obviously more members is going to result in more infamy gain because there’s more people to gain infamy. That’s just how it’s designed.

THIS isn’t what we need to be focusing on. There’s a way more pressing issue with clans right now: the clan member kick feature not working properly. This will kill clanning.

clans :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Keeping the current requirement whilst dropping the infamy gained down doesn’t sound half bad- but small clans like mine will be the ones to really suffer. Suncry still won’t have any problem getting up to legendary- even if it takes longer, and clans with few members like my own will be stuck at lower ranks for weeks- maybe even months.

I think island claiming should be lowered, but maybe keep sealed chests where they are/barely lower it. I think Active infamy game is more healthy in the long term then passive infamy game- so longa s that active infamy gain doesn’t encourage clans taking over a server and bullying the everloving hell out of smaller groups.

I mean yeah that’s the point. It doesn’t change anything. If you’re good at the grind, you’re gonna still rise at the same rate.

But with the current setup, BOTH is required to actually win, and that’s perfect.

1 Like

I can agree to that. Passive infamy gain and PVE infamy gain lets clans like mine, who are not pvp centered, still manage to get somewhere and have something to work towards!

1 Like

Oh they made it so that you can only kick people if theyre in your server
Check the trello

Yes. This is the change that will kill clanning.
It is now impossible to remove people who go inactive, or those who are intentionally sabatoging.
If this is not changed, it will ruin clanning.

I would rather people get kicked randomly.
I would rather infamy gain disabled.

Personally, I would never join a high-ranking clan in the game. The fact that guilds such as Suncry make their members go for a 1000 Infamy a day, or something similar to it, is just not a fun concept to me. I get it, it comes with the territory, but it makes players feel as though being a part of a high-ranking clan is more of a chore than just playing for fun.

I mean I guess thats fair, but I was trying to say that the new system gives an advantage to bigger guilds versus smaller ones

Sadly it’s pretty hard to circumvent that without some protections for smaller guilds- and that would just deter people from making big ones. I can’t think of a way to help smaller guilds thrive in an area where 8-10 big guilds dominate.

Yeah, that’s what makes us different. We’ve got not quotas, no requirements, just a community trying to have fun and enjoy the game. And why not try and win while we’re at it? We’re literally just a cool little community once you get past the public general chat.
Feel free to check us out sometime, yknow? cant hurt

I mean I guess this is true.
Are you guys actually having fun playing like this though?
Like, not saying anything against you guys, I just want to make sure. This sounds more like a chore if anything

Idk, I feel like you guys are super deeply focused on your infamy grind instead of actually enjoying the game Vetex made. Like, why does it matter if you can kick people or not who delay your infamy gain, arent they still part of your clan?

And this, if this is the case, then why do you want to kick people in the first place whom are inactive? Its literally been like 3 days since infamy was turned on, what counts as “inactive”? Maybe people are just yknow, prioritizing their personal lives since this is a schoolday/workday for many people

Again, nothing against you guys, I just want clarification

Yeah of course! It’s actually pretty fun getting sealed chests, and having an island claimed isnt really an inconvenience. If you mean separating, that’s a choice some of our members make but we still hang out and talk in VC. Some people still play together in servers, I’m not forcing them to be optimal or whatever.

Crimson Crescent has around 800 members. The ingame clan does not represent our community. We still have a full community section outside of the ingame clan. The kick function is important regardless of if you’re sweating for infamy or not, anyways.

I’m suggesting this will become a way larger issue in the future. Right now it’s not a TERRIBLE deal because of member cap upgrades being available but it definitely needs to be changed.

A slight activity requirement is necessary since there’s gonna (and already are) dozens of people asking to get into my clan but I can’t help them because there’s no spots.