The Story of Valcrest | Prologue

So I wrote this story using the WoM characters of my fellow guild members, but having it take place in the world of AO. Here is the Prologue:

Dark wizards were being killed and murdered for their heinous crimes on the public. It was a heartbreaking scene, for both the horrified and out of control dark wizards who faced no mercy, and the people who suffered from them. However, no one had ever bothered to ask the question, “What if there was a better way?” Well, that had all changed. One day, a man was walking through the whispering forest, when he was attacked by a dark wizard, capable of using shadow magic. The dark wizard was out of control, sunken deep into despair, and fired at whoever came into eye shot. The wizard rushed towards the man, intent on killing, however, the man had created a large light explosion, injuring the dark wizard, making him too weak to even move. The dark wizard, defeated and laying on the floor, could only look up to the man who had bested him in one attack, awaiting his demise. But the man simply asked, “You poor thing… what happened to you? Why rampage like this?” The dark wizard was shocked. Someone actually cared enough to ask such a question. Nobody cared for dark wizards. Most men would’ve just killed him then and there.

Taken aback, the dark wizard said, “My sister… she had died in a fight that happened in Riverdelle… the Grand Navy stormed the town, trying to stop a dark wizard… they attacked recklessly and took my sister away from me.” The dark wizard began to shed tears. The man knelt down to him.

“I believe I heard of such a situation. A criminal had fought back against some wizards, and the citizens called the Grand Navy… there were indeed some casualties… but this rampage isn’t necessary.”

“What do you know?! Have you ever lost someone you cared for at the hands of someone who was to protect you…?!”

“… I have not. However, can you look me in the eye and tell me your sister would’ve wanted you to become this?” The dark wizard didn’t answer, but he continued to cry.

“But… what can I do now…? Where do I go from here? I’ve already caused so much pain…” The man looked down at the dark wizard, feeling empathetic for him, wondering what he could do for him, before coming to a decision. He picked the dark wizard up.

“You will come with me.”

“But to where?” The dark wizard asked, confused with his arm over this man’s shoulder.

“I will help you. I will keep you with me, and make it my duty to help you see the light once more…” “But… but why? Why are you doing this for a dark wizard?

“Because, I don’t want to see anymore unnecessary violence. And this will be a good step towards that direction.” The man turned towards the dark wizard. “By the way, what is your name?” The dark wizard was surprised by this generosity, but finally responded.

“Z… Zachary Salore.”

“Zachary Salore…” The man smiled. “My name is Daniel Ketch. I hope we get along nicely.”

Months had passed, and Zachary had undergone many changes. The despair and sorrow that held him down seemed to have left him. Daniel was so happy with this result, he decided that he had to spread this gift to the others, making the world much better. Zachary devoted himself to Daniel’s goal, as a way to thank him for helping him. And so, Daniel created a guild, known as Valcrest. They had taken in many dark wizards to undergo therapy. Some have come out better than what they were before, others were so grateful they joined the guild. Things were looking up for Daniel, until the day that the Grand Navy found out about this operation. Representatives had come to the guild and gave Daniel a warning.

“Your treatment of dark wizards is unauthorized and illegal. We demand that you shut it down now.” They told him. Zachary was enraged by this demand, but Daniel kept calm.

“I know what I am doing may be looked down upon by you all. But, I wish only that these dark wizards gain the help and support they need, rather than be killed off or thrown into jails to rot.” Said Daniel, without showing even a hint of hostility. “However, if you can promise that you will carry on this work yourselves, I will have no qualms with stopping here.”

“Pah! And why would we do this? You have no authority over us. Now, you will get no further warnings, disband this guild now.”

Daniel sighed. “I am disheartened by your reluctance to carry on my work. But if you will not do it, I must. Good day.” Daniel politely bowed at the Grand Navy soldiers, and walked inside, bringing Zachary with him. The soldiers, however, were very enraged by Daniel’s decision. The next week, more soldiers came to the guild, led by a Grand Navy captain. The captain called for Daniel, who went to them. “Guild Master Daniel Ketch.” Said the captain. “You are hereby under arrest for harboring dark wizards. Come with us.” Zachary ran down to see what was happening, and he saw the Grand Navy soldiers trying to arrest him. Zachary was about to act, but Daniel turned to him, and stared him in the eyes, as if to tell him. “Stand down, I know what I am doing.”, and Zachary backed away. Daniel then turned to the soldiers.

“I apologize to you all, but I cannot let this guild end here. I just wish you could understand what I’m trying to do here…”

“We don’t give a rat’s ass what you’re trying to do here, you’re breaking the law and you will be punished for it.” Said one of the soldiers, bringing cuffs to Daniel.

“Very well. If you will not listen to reason… maybe you’ll listen to force.” Daniel put his hand up, and gathered magic in his hand.

“Radiant Dream!” Daniel swiped his hand across, creating multiple light explosions that knocked two of the soldiers unconscious, including the one with the cuffs. Multiple of the Valcrest guild members heard the explosions, and rushed outside.

“Dammit all, soldiers, attack!” Shouted the captain. The soldiers then began to charge at Daniel, but he was able to evade them. Some soldiers ran past him and went into the guild, intent on destroying it. Zachary and another guild member named Nick Grey saw them running in, and did their best to stop them. They were able to take on the soldiers, albeit with the guild interior damaged from the fight, and turned their attention to their guild leader, who was being overwhelmed by the soldiers and the captain. Daniel was sent flying into the guild’s wall, and fell onto the ground. The captain walked up to him.

“Foolish man. Had you complied with us, things would’ve been much simpler. But now, you will have to lose your life, and you’ve endangered your entire guild.” He said, a smirk on his face.

“If sticking close to my ideals to help those that need it makes me foolish…” Daniel slowly got up, “Then I am by far the dumbest man to walk the Earth…”

“Yes…” The captain aimed a plasma magic circle at Daniel. “You very well might be.” Zachary witnessed what was about to come to pass. The man who showed him mercy when he was in a state most believed there was no returning from, was about to be killed for it. His generosity was deemed wicked by those of the same organization that cost him his sister. He didn’t want to relive that day. He couldn’t. And so, as if on its own, his body ran forward, gathering magic energy into his hands, much more than usual. This took Daniel and the captain by surprise.

“Get away from him… you bastards!!” Zachary put his hands together, creating a magic circle brimming with power. “Charged Blast!!” Zachary fired off the attack at the captain.

“What the- No one said anything about the guild members knowing ultimate arts! Thought the captain as he aimed his circle at the blast, countering it and creating a big explosion. When it struck, Daniel had come to a revelation: Zachary had to survive, and get away.

“It seems I must get rid of the guild in its entirety, I can’t afford to take prisoners on this mission.” Said the captain as he made magic circles on his feet and boosted into the air. He gathered energy into his hands and raised them into the air, creating a massive plasma ball. “Valcrest, you shall soon meet your demise! None of you can make it out alive! Now fall!” The guild members watched as the intense magic only grew more and more powerful, dreading what was to come. Zachary was the most scared of all. He had no idea what to do, or even how to summon back enough power for that blast he used. But then, Daniel came up to him.

“Zachary… the power you just displayed… that is known as an Ultimate Art.” He said, talking as gently as he did when he first met Zachary. “When I saw you use it, I had come to a realization… that Valcrest will not die here. I want you to live on, along with the rest of the guild. Survive this fight, and live on.” Daniel turned away from the plasma and looked at Zachary. “I’m sorry for pushing such a responsibility onto you so abruptly. But I believe in you. I believe in your power. I always have, ever since that day.”

“Guild Master, what are you-” Zachary was interrupted by the captain.

“Ultimate Art: Plasma Magic: Planetary Destruction!!” The captain let out a mighty shout as he threw the plasma blast down onto the guild. Everyone was in fear of this, but Daniel was as calm as ever.

“Take care of them Zachary… please.” Daniel said with a smile. Then, he bursted into the air with his light magic, and Zachary immediately knew what was about to happen.

“GUILD MASTER, DON’T-” Zachary yelled, but he felt someone tugging his hand. It was Nick. “Zachary we have to go now!” Nick yelled. “But… but Daniel!” “Daniel’s doing this so that we can escape! Do you want his last ditch effort to be in vain?!” Zachary was quiet for a moment, then, holding in tears, he ran with Nick. Daniel meanwhile, was flying towards the plasma blast as it neared the guild.

“You will not have them… Not today! Ultimate Art…” Daniel made a light magic circle around him, and right as the plasma reached him and the guild hall, he let it all out in a mighty explosion. “Light Catastrophe!” The plasma blast clashed with the explosion and made a massive explosion. The guild hall was caught in the explosion, however the guild members that were there were able to escape during the blast. Rubble and debris had been left behind, and the soldiers along with the captain who thought he eliminated Valcrest in its entirety left the scene. However, Daniel had perished then and there.

That night, all the guild members gathered deep in the caves of the Bronze Grasslands, morale low after the guild master had sacrificed himself for them all. Zachary had sat alone, the most hurt. Everyone was wondering what they would do now. Some of the members had left, more than ready to throw in the towel and leave, others weren’t sure where they should even go. Then, Zachary stood up.

“Here’s what we’re going to do.” Zachary proclaimed to the remaining guild members. “We’re going to carry on Daniel’s ideals. I don’t know about you all, but I refuse to let his will die here. I refuse to let Valcrest die here. He gave me his belief, and I won’t fail him. I’ll take over the guild, and we’ll continue to save dark wizards like he wanted.” The guild members looked at Zachary, acknowledging his perseverance. “The Grand Navy believes they have beaten us. Let’s show them we won’t stay down for long. They may have beaten Valcrest today…” Zachary began to walk out of the cave. “… but they won’t have such an easy time… with the new Valcrest.”

1 Like

I gotta admit, this story was very nice. A little humanization for the so-called “enemy” and focusing on rehabilitation instead of punishment (like most prisons should do).

1 Like

oh wow this topic is a throw back

the person behind this series has expanded this story by a lot that there’s 3 parts of it.

ONE: Story of Valcrest: An Arcane Odyssey Story - Part I - Google Docs
TWO: Story of Valcrest: An Arcane Odyssey Story - Part II - Google Docs
THREE: Story of Valcrest: An Arcane Odyssey Story - Part III - Google Docs

im sure they wont mind me promoting it, if you like this part of the story you’ll definitely like the remaining portion

1 Like

Feel free to let me know what you think about the rest of Story of Valcrest too! I’d love to hear more feedback

It’s a decent read if you’re interested, but I find it hard to believe a mentally insane wizard could suddenly get back up on his feet after shedding a few tears. And a light user bringing a shadow user “…back into the light”? Kind of cliche there not gonna lie

I don’t want to discourage your writing, I guess this is both criticism and opinionated views so take it how you think is best. But I hope that you stay motivated to keep up with it - or, well, did keep up with it.

1 Like