The Sunken Sword is Currently Way Too Strong

it’s back to 1/2k

in which card & section does it say that?

you can’t really dodge it. That’s like saying dodge greatspin, you just can’t. Your only counter is to not be close to them, right? But you can’t really STOP someone from getting close to you in a fight without just running away entirely.

The problem is when they use Rising Tides, you can’t counter it. They don’t freeze in place long enough (or at all?) for you to actually land a counter attack with anything except a self explosion, and a self explosion will leave you open to easy counters.

If you CAN hit someone out of rising tides, you can hit them out of a magic high jump as well, and, well, you’re basically a god of pvp at that point.

The problem with Rising Tides is not the damage, the range, or anything about that. The problem lies in how there is no counterplay. The bow had the same issue - very few frames where you were stuck in place, rapid fire, decent damage etc. You had no real options when dealing with a good bow user. And that’s why it got nerfed.

Rarity is not an excuse for being unbalanced.

2 Likes

everything would be dodgeable if skills and spells weren’t just instant spheres of damage

would be better if the hitbox that actually damages you traveled with the visuals

Honestly I think Rising Tide should have a high vertical hitbox if it doesn’t already and should stop your ability to do anything until enough time has passed for you to be in theory where you would’ve started the move.
Ideally this would mean you cannot use it to high jump and, while not being held in place, at least you’d be vulnerable to those who can predict where you would land.
However, lag would possibly interrupt this.
If not? It would be a great change.

it only “feels” strong because its the second weapon in the game with a functioning ability added to it. When magic weapons are added people will eventually rely on them aswell.

3 Likes

“Reduce startup speed of Great Spin and possibly increase cooldown due to this”

• [Adjustments]

Bruh.

Literally keep your distance. The Sunken Sword is a sword and will always have the weaknesses of a sword.

that’s why i don’t really like it

how do you keep your distance with a guy just running at you, what are you gonna do, just run away? In an duel setting, that’s considered leaving the area and you auto lose. If you’re ganking, that’s still a shitty excuse.

“Just don’t get close to them, cutting off a massive amount of playstyles because they got lucky playing waiting simulator!”

1 Like

A fight isn’t just about pure power. Do you really think I’m just gonna turn tail and leave?

I could run in circles, squares, or triangles all while continuing to harass the enemy. You could also take vertical movement into consideration: high jumps are USEFUL.

If they can’t get close they’ll either have to continue trying or switch to magic.

If they’re walking at you, and you’re walking in circles, how long do you think it’ll take them to get to you? Not very long.

If you’re stupid enough to try and “harass” you’re either using magic or throwing daggers. If you’re throwing daggers, good luck hitting a moving target. If you’re using magic, you just locked yourself in place for a potshot at someone, and you might miss. Their counter, seeing as you aren’t moving, probably won’t.

You can’t stop someone from getting close if they’re walking straight at you. Do I need to explain how legs work? Running in circles will not stop someone from walking at you. It’ll just make you look stupid, and waste your stamina.

“it doesn’t deserve to be op because it comes from a monotone, easy and easily grindable task and the only way to obtain it is through sheer luck.”

By that logic future legendary weapons, armors, spells, and magic should also not deserve to be op

Nothing deserves to be op tbh, fire should be just as viable as promethean fire. it should just be unique and interesting, not op

Come on, mate. I literally just said that the Sunken Sword isn’t the best, and now you’re berating me?

A long time, especially if you’re behaving unpredictably. If they attempt to pursue you, you can just switch directions. If they try to seek, just high jump (either magically or by pressing T). The biggest disadvantage of Rising Tide is the fact that you need to be grounded before you can use it. Get up high.

(the difference between seeking and pursuing is that pursuit involves attempting to predict the target’s location, whereas seeking just follows them)

Humans naturally try to avoid risk unless they are either stupid or the whole thing was planned ahead. Ever wondered why suppression is highly effective in a real life firefight?

Literally anybody will begin evasive action once they see a magic circle charging. They may do it all differently (some may push aggressively while others may retreat), but you get the intended effect of the target having to switch positions or take damage. It doesn’t even have to hit.

Read above.

That’s because Sunken Sword IS the best. Name a better weapon. You can’t, because it is literally the best weapon.

How long does it take to catch someone?

They don’t need to hit a blast or a beam, they just need to walk up to you, and be near you. It’s not hard, especially when they just need to be close to you to hit you. It’s not rocket science. If you want, we can get in a game, we go to arena, and we see how long it takes me to hit you with a great spin. We can see some of those evasion moves in action, yeah?

They see a magic circle charging, what are you doing. Blast? Beam? Do you hold it? Instafire? If you instafire, your odds of hitting a moving target that will probably high jump upon seeing your cast are pretty low. If you hold it, they high jump up next to you and then assblast you for 3 hits or something. It’s not a good situation.

If they pursue you aggressively when you cast, that’s not good for you, when you’re entire playstyle revolves entirely around being far away from them. yes, the target switched positions. No, it’s not good, because the fucker has a sunken sword and switched to a closer position to you.

Sunken sword isn’t broken because its damage, or because its range - it’s broken because you don’t have a real way to counter it. You don’t have enough time to counter the start up, and afterwards the guy is already in motion, and in the air. If you self explode, they just get easy counters on you.

The bow was just like this - when faced with a good bow user, you had no real options when fighting them short of pulling out a bow of your own. Except, in this case, not everyone can just get a “bow,” because this “bow” has a 1/8000 drop rate, and can only be gotten from fishing.

gee maybe thats why ive only seen 2 people in game with it since the update. its a rare weapon thats supposed to be op

I somehow managed to get a sunken sword after 190 catches, actually.

I don’t expect the luck to hold, though.

You forgot about the magical high jumps. I usually pair one of those with a high jump simply because high jumping by itself is too accessible.

Suppression. Look, it doesn’t even have to hit. Exploit humans’ natural tendency to avoid danger.

The counter is distance. Once again, the sunken sword is a sword, ergo it will always have the weaknesses of a sword. If the sunken sword had some kind of overpowered ranged attack, I would completely understand you, but Rising Tide is just a sort of “mobile self explosion”.

I actually have the sunken sword. It’s not as good as they say. Whenever I draw it, my target will always just suppress me with blast attacks, and we all know that blast attacks increase in accuracy the closer you get.

This is the main reason I don’t use it against other players. To easy to suppress and not flexible enough for my playstyle.

if they’re spamming out blasts, they’re A, opening themselves up to counters with beams, if they’re too far. And they’re also waiting their magic energy.

The sword is ridiculous. It’s a high jump and a self explosion in one move. To say it’s not stupid strong because hur dur if you don’t let them get close to you they can’t use it!

mobile self explosion
That’s free damage. Right there.

Look dude, if you can’t find a way to abuse the only ability in the game that does damage and lets you move at the same time, sucks to be you. Sucks to be me cause I don’t have the sword.

It’s clear that nobody here is convincing each other, so we can just say, you don’t think it’s too strong, I think it’s fucking broken. We’re going in circles.

@wacky

This logic is wrong. A weapon being rare does not excuse it for being overpowered as fuck. That’s like vetex going out and saying “1/500 of you do double damage with your magic attacks! see, it’s rare, so it’s ok! I rolled dice and everything!”

If anything, something being rare means it SHOULDN’T be overpowered, because that’s not fair to those who don’t have it. When the bow was op, it wasn’t as big of a deal, because LITERALLY EVERYONE could have a bow, without grinding for hours.

On the other hand, no, the sword that you either get by having nothing in your cold and empty life or by being lucky should not be op.

I never understand why people think rarity is an excuse for imbalance.

Yay! This is your admission that the Sunken Sword isn’t as overpowered. In your example scenario, the person literally had to switch to magic because hello? Suppression.

Key word: self

If you don’t have the sword, then what right do you have to be making points?

Perhaps it’s just my primarily defensive playstyle. I don’t know.

I guess the best way to counterbalance the Sunken Sword would be to make Rising Tide have a downtime just as you land.

Uh, no. Just because the Sunken Sword isn’t useful in literally every situation doesn’t mean that it isn’t op. That’s like saying doing a million damage is fine because you can only do it every half second. See, it’s not as op as doing a million damage every quarter second! It’s not op, you said it yourself. Pack it up boys, we’re done.
It’s also like saying that a shotgun isn’t a lethal weapon, because a machine gun is better.
If the threat of the sunken sword can force people to leave themselves upon to something else, it’s still op.
If just by having the sunken sword I can force someone to waste mana, or leave themselves open to a triple blast, that’s op.
You put yourself at almost risk, to gain a pretty large advantage, e.g. a free potshot when they’re casting, free damage, or them wasting mana.

And? It’s a mobile self explosion. Who cares if you can only do it on yourself, that’s still FREE DAMAGE. Literally the only thing in the game that gives you reliable damage, while moving, and thus not leaving yourself open. You get damage for free, and they can’t get damage back on you.

Idk, because I know people who do? Because I’ve tested with them? A guy doesn’t need to know how to fly a plane to know it isn’t supposed to be in more than one piece. I don’t need to have the sword to realize that having something that does aoe damage, AND lets you move at the same time is broken.

This is a game, balanced by cast times and endlag, in which you can’t move after/during your cast. And who would have fucking thought, that the LITERAL ONLY EXCEPTION TO THIS RULE, is seen as broken and overpowered by almost everyone.

It probably is your defense playstyle. If you press your advantage, i.e. your sword, you force them to either let you fuck them in the ass, or have them do it to themselves. You just run at them, and if they cast an ability, high jump and keep running at them until you’re pretty close. Once you’re close, you just hang around spamming Rising Tides, and waiting for them to cast a spell, and when they do, you just point blank them with a blast.

You need to remember, you have the luxury of moving while getting damage - they don’t. That’s basically free damage.
It’s already pretty hard to hit a moving target with a blast, and it becomes next to impossible once airborne and zooming around you. They first shot on you is very unlikely to hit, but your shot will probably hit them, because they’re locked in place after casting a spell.

The easiest way to balance Rising Tides is to make it function like every single other ability/spell in the game - give it some sort of endlag/startup, to the point where it’s actually possible to counter them without being a machine.