The time has come

Have you guys considered giving reflexes an energy cost?
Maybe temporarily right after energy regen/charge speed is reduced. Say, 50% (0.5x) for passive regen and 25% (0.75x) for charge. Would change the whole “times usable” situation into one more based around the energy economy.

Imo it should have two charges, but using both gives a way longer CD, like, using 1 gives a 2 seconds CD while using both give a 6 second (like after 6 seconds you’d immediatly get both back, you wouldn’t get the first one back immediatly but get both back at once) cd or something. So you can always use 1, but if you use 2, you’ll suffer a cooldown that’s longer

No, Hybrids allready have HORRIBLE energy costs, don’t make it worse

Someone suggested that should be done alongside the currently existing nerf, which might get added but we just haven’t thought through that yet.

As for reverting this nerf and instead making the limitation of reflexes based completely around energy costs I don’t think that would be a bad idea either tbh. Energy cost has been brought up a couple of times but I don’t think it’s ever been suggested as like an end-solution. We considered playing around with stamina being the “end-solution” instead, but that would require a rework of the stamina system (which we did get a greenlight for), and if we decide to do a rework of the stamina system and it ends up failing well then u guys r stuck with that for the next 2-3 months so I honestly wouldn’t risk it unless we’re sure that the numbers would work out.

For energy the user already has much better control over energy management than over stamina management so I can see a system like that possibly working. But since this hasn’t been discussed in length I’m not gonna suddenly change what’s on the doc for that.

There is also the concern that it could also just harm the energy management of people who use but don’t abuse reflexes.

Like this :
Use 1 Charge : Get a 2 seconds CD before getting it back
Use 2 Charge : The CD of the first is canceled and both get put on a 6 seconds cooldown before you can use any again.

Thank god, stamina really feels weird rn, like, what the points of gaining extra stamina from levels since all actions are % based anyways?

Basically what I’d implement except I’d make the CD for both 1 charge and both charges equal to 5 seconds. People would just cheese their single CD if it were drastically lower.

But that’s the point, is you don’t spam Reflex you get it faster, but if you use it to much you get punished

I’m sure there’s at least one action (swimming? rowing?) that doesn’t. Stamina costs feel far worse at level 1 than they do at level 125 so something has to be up.

Also I wouldn’t really be cheering cuz idk if large changes to how stamina works would ever end up happening, because stuff like that is so crucial to how the game is played and if it gets messed up then quality of life is just gonna die completely.

If we were to do any changes tho they’d probably involve lowering costs for T-Jumping and blocking, increasing them on stuff like reflexes/dodging and possibly adding more stamina requirements to any problematic forms of movement, so that for essential, non-problematic mechanics you aren’t punished drastically for using them, but for spammable movements you would get punished.

(Also increasing the regen in proportion to increasing how badly your punished would help make sure that you don’t basically lose if ur stamina gets too low)

Yeah but by getting it back faster you’re basically allowing for it to be used even more frequently overall, when the problem is specifically how much usage you get overall rather than in specific moments. (The other issue is also having >= 1 reflex available at all times means you can just avoid stuff for free, putting a 2 second cooldown on the 1st reflex usage would allow you to do that easily)

it affects everybody so i wouldnt care much, would just adapt

The energy cost would only be prevalent on people who overuse them. It’d imo promote a more efficient usage of them, instead of just using a reflex to avoid an attack, maybe block it instead to save that energy. It could also be a mix of energy and stamina (energy/stamina), maybe a 75/25 ratio or 50/50 split in costs.

We’ll see though, adding this change early on in the development of Nimbus Sea though would allow the testers to actually mess around with it for a long time. I would personally ask for the planned reflex changes to be done before all of the other balance changes to actually let you guys mess around with them to get a good feel. Last week or maybe last 2 weeks at most isn’t going to be enough time to test multiple different solutions the best you can. Especially since there is going to be a period of “getting used to it” with each change done. Also it wouldn’t be difficult to request this specific change for testing right now to gauge it’s viability.

Oh right, I probably should make this a suggestion but have there been any discussions about a reflex T-Jump for getting out of the water? Mostly for weapon users since they don’t have an air step or magic jump spell to get out without using a specific weapon skill. It’s also been a while so I don’t remember how the weapons dashes/tps work underwater/at the water surface either. I remember someone trying to TP slash me but they just went straight since they were swimming on the surface. Although this was like 2 updates major ago.

Yeah I remember that you have to aim up at a pretty drastic angle to actually get something like mirrored river or flash strike to actually get you out of the water, I assume its something to do with how much of your body is out of the water when you aim the skill, seeing as you rotate your character when aiming.

Balance patches almost always done within last 2 weeks so :person_shrugging:

I know this isn’t gonna happen for a long time but weapon users r gonna get leaps anyways so idk if it’d be worth adding this (although hopefully leaps can just be turned into a mechanic cuz at this point it just takes up a skill slot on every build for no reason.)

the yap wars going on over here wtf :skull:

no regular?

I personaly think that out-of-combat and in-combat dodges should be equal, cause then it will be confusing

Hold up, how did he do that when I can’t even do it from side to side.

??? huh