Thought pit

something akin to Please’s thinking thread mmyes

nothing complex or life-altering or lore-heavy, probably dinosaurs and music if anything

bruh so apparently thethe largest estimated individuals of the largest sauropods could have been some 100+ feet in length (the largest i read of being 113?). whacky. like a human being, full grown at some 2 meters, would have been shorter than their femur (thigh bone)

still pretty unsure of what the current standing is on saurischia vs ornithoscelida, but apparently grouping sauropods and (current) ornithiscians together is just as viable. ik herrerasaur has some odd placement in it all but i need to properly read up on it to know what makes it such an odd dinosaur to mark. glancing at the wiki it’s a saurischian carnivore, but all sauropods are herbivores. i know therizinosaurus is an herbivorous dinosaur among carnivorous lineage, so ig that’s what happened? just depends on if people think it’s a proto sauropod or its own jig

swTr4e6bEyNxRzgcFgp799-320-80

found an article that will help me understand where tf marine reptiles like plesiosaurs and icthyosaurs go. (mosasaurs are related to monitor lizards)

6 Likes

Damn, at the mall rn but this seems like an interesting read so I’ll wait until I get home.

2 Likes

hey vsauce michael here

where are your fingers

1 Like

cringe Sauropods vs based Stegosaurus (best dino) :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ight, Ima bout to ask the big questions.

If goku and shaggy fought, how many universes would be destroyed in the crossfire?

in a fight? stego gets trampled and dies (or bitch slapped by someone’s tail). even if it punctured a major vessel (which isn’t very realistic given the height comparison), dude would probably get stepped on before sauro goes down (at least for the high browsers)

infinitely many

2 Likes

And don’t forget that the Stegosaur could not turn its tail 90 degrees, so it could not hit a dinosaur precisely from the side, since it was meant to defend from or warn predators, the largest of which were not nearly as large as a medium sized sauropod, nevertheless one of the titanosaurs and that sauropods has quite the thick skin. I say that because, even if it manages to get a hit or two in, to the mody and not the legs, it would not be that damaging.

So I support that Sauropods certainly win, unless they were already wounded, poisoned or sick.

1 Like

Sometimes particular words get stuck in my head, often due to the fact that i was intending to refer to them in an earlier conversation and had forgotten the exact terminology. it’s like an ear worm or a song that gets stuck in your head. for me i just hear the word over and over again randomly. looking up the definition helps (because when they get stuck i don’t know the meaning of the word), but they still typically linger a lot

thyreophora: (“shield bearers”, often known simply as “armored dinosaurs”) is a group of armored ornithischian dinosaurs that lived from the early Jurassic Period until the end of the Cretaceous.

Thyreophorans are characterized by the presence of body armor lined up in longitudinal rows along the body. Primitive forms had simple, low, keeled scutes or osteoderms, whereas more derived forms developed more elaborate structures including spikes and plates. Most thyreophorans were herbivorous and had relatively small brains for their body size.

Thyreophora includes various subgroups, including the suborders Ankylosauria and Stegosauria. In both the suborders, the forelimbs were much shorter than the hindlimbs, particularly in stegosaurs. The clade has been defined as the group consisting of all species more closely related to Ankylosaurus than to Triceratops . Thyreophora is the sister group of Cerapoda within Genasauria.

episquamosal: An ossification situated above the squamosal bone

jugal bone: The jugal is a skull bone found in most reptiles, amphibians and birds. In mammals, the jugal is often called the malar or zygomatic. It is connected to the quadratojugal and maxilla, as well as other bones, which may vary by species.

Asteroid go brrrrrr

Centrosaurinae (Greek: pointed lizards) is a subfamily of ceratopsid dinosaurs, a group of large quadrupedal ornithischians. Centrosaurine fossil remains are known primarily from the northern region of Laramidia (modern day Alberta, Montana, and Alaska) but isolated taxa have been found in China and Utah as well.[1]

Defining features of centrosaurines include a large nasal horn, short supratemporal horns, and an ornamented frill projecting from the back of the skull.[2] With the exception of Centrosaurus apertus , all adult centrosaurines have spike-like ornaments midway up the skull.[3] Morphometric analysis shows that centrosaurines differ from other ceratopsian groups in skull, snout, and frill shapes.[4] There is evidence to suggest that male centrosaurines had an extended period of adolescence and sexual ornamention did not appear until adulthood.[2]

Centrosaurinae was named by paleontologist Lawrence Lambe in 1915, with Centrosaurus as the type genus. The centrosaurines are further divided into three tribes: the Nasutoceratopsini, the Centrosaurini, and the Pachyrhinosaurini by Ryan et al (2016).[5] Nasutoceratopsins are defined as centrosaurines closer to Nasutoceratops titusi than to Centrosaurus apertus and centrosaurins are defined as centrosaurines (more specifically eucentrosaurans) closer to Centrosaurus apertus than to Pachyrhinosaurus canadensis . The only division used up until then was Pachyrhinosaurini which was defined as centrosaurines closer to Pachyrhinosaurus canadensis than to Centrosaurus apertus .

1 Like

i adore ghidorah’s design, characterization, and cries. like, you can feel the air electrify with each roar with that shrillness, along with the sort of “stuttering” of the rumbles that feel like a deep static. also bidibidibis hehe

Rodan perfectly encapsulates that smoky, suffocating, burning inferno as the “fire demon” with his roars, along with a perfect blend of bird and the sounds i’d expect of a pterosaur. that rumble and crackle really gives the rough texture of his leathery wings and feels like the hot plumes and puffs of smoke and ash out of a volcano. definitely a favorite of mine second to Ghidorah

Goji has that totally “saurian” feel to it with those deep rumbles at the end really resembling the throat-y, deep rumble of a tyrannosaurus, along with a uniquely terrifying depth and echo that truly gives it a lot of punch, weight, and mass. this is true of all the cries, save for probably Mothra

her larval form definitely has the deep reverberation of a giant creature that i expect, along with the sort of “inconsistent” pitching that resembles a sort of vibrato. the light “click-y” sounds and higher shrills also emphasize the insectoid design and i really like that. her battle cries are the least interesting/intimidating but she has the best score alongside Rodan

she lacks the tried and true “protagonist” feel that Goji’s theme has and isn’t playful fun like Rodan’s. it’s a royal, regal, wise, ancient vibe demanding of respect and commanding it powerfully. Truly a fantastically fitting theme for a figure that’s ancient and wise as she is, especially bc she apparently reincarnates. plus she’s the Chinese rep so i stan. girl boss

Rodan’s theme is full of fun energy because to him it’s just a fun chase after a nap. it still holds that tension that the pilots and protags fear as the sort of “play things” before he gets totally bitch slapped lol

this guy is what spurred my sudden interest in toho kaijus bc i was just so in love with his sound design. honestly takes the cake for my favorite cries and i really want to know what he’d look and sound like within the MonsterVerse. that mix of trumpets and elephant just sounds like it would be so much fun to mix and mess around with. apparently he’s also the “Godzilla of the sea” so i’m really curious how he’d appear cinematically

pretty much what i expected. rumbly monke noises with a good amount of growl, echo, and bass. not that impressive or unique, but i can imagine the use of tiger growls in the mix as well

And that’s why it’s good to be Greek, and know a pinch of Ancient Geek, the most easy and common to learn being the Hellenistic common. You can pronounce all of those names easily. Or most of them. at least, since some have other weird… Oriental like names.

Also, this:

…is not really the most accurate thing. I mean, it is probably what they were going for, and it is close enough to the Greek meaning, but eh.

I just wanted to make a comment about this, it is not much of a response, so I thought… What better topic to post it than the thought pit. And the name of the Centrosaurinae family gave me a good enough pretext to.

ae, i think they flow off the tongue better

the dinosaurs have evolved into something even more terrifying

3 Likes

wtffff

swans are even worse

1 Like

Geese are not that bad. Put a Cassowary, Crow, or Seagull there. Or, we should have them all together.

nah, crows and gulls aren’t scary

Here are the devils that dinosaurs and possibly some other creatures have evolved into. the BIRDS! Or the Pecky Eyses, depending on your term preference.