"Toxic PvPers" yap schizothread (its intrinsic to the games design!)

In roguelikes, your reward is learning how to not make the same mistake you made prior ontop of generally enjoyable and unique gameplay across a relatively short run. (typically ~1 hour)

This game is not a roguelike.
Getting randomly jumped by an opportunist that saw you leave the dark sea after you leave the area that’s supposed to be the big dangerous challenge with high risk isn’t something you can learn to avoid, you just have to be luckier next time.

In roguelikes, even if you die, which is typically a core gameplay mechanic for them, you bring back some type of currency (sometimes plural) to become stronger and improve upon your next run, so no, your time and effort does not result in “no reward whatsoever”.

4 Likes

Witch hunt this man till the ends of the earth

But Dark Sea expeditions are an optional roguelike feature.

You can learn to avoid player pirates, you can sail west instead of east (where most players go) to get to the dark sea, and then unload cargo at thorin’s. If that’s not enough for you you can also just get stronger and fight back?

They usually call those “roguelites” and actually that would be the case with dark sea expeditions since you get to keep the rewards from regular dark sea treasure chests

its not at all like a roguelike…this is like calling minecraft a roguelike because you lose your items when you die

This is the only thing I mostly agree with everything else was just a yap session

The first half of this is just overcomplicating what I said earlier.
Get luckier. Go in a different direction and pray there’s not somebody on the other side of the fog wall right as you get back.

The second half is a major issue for me and a vast majority of players because the PvP in this game sucks and I don’t want to be forced into it because somebody can’t be asked to do the grind themselves instead of forcefully taking other player’s progression away.
The legendary chart system back in AA was garbage and everyone agreed it was garbage.
“Pirating” other players for their sealed chests is the same thing but without a big notification and player marker.
There are very good reasons why the majority of the playerbase hates people who do that.

Yea and you don’t see many true roguelikes anymore do you?
Shockingly, players don’t enjoy having hours upon hours of effort reduced to nothing because of something completely out of their control.

You know what else true roguelikes don’t have? PvP.

I meant that one feature is roguelike, not the entire game ofc.

Even if luck were to be such a deciding factor, when you go to the dark sea you know there’s the possibility of getting pirated on your way back, and you choose to do it anyways. if you aren’t ok with it, you can just not go to the dark sea, its optional after all, you can trade for whatever items are exclusive to the dark sea, as there are equally valuable items in the bronze sea.

The majority of the playerbase would quit playing if there were no pvp, even Vetex acknowledged this.

I know how much it sucks, I’ve been there many times, but I use it as motivation to get better at the game/get better gear to get back at the jerks who rk, while learning to enjoy the process of failing and improving.

You’re right so it’s a roguelite feature not a roguelike one

you make a great point!
maybe if they add more stuff to grind for or other competitive thingies like pvp, people will play more instead of an update adding like 3k people who are gone by the next week

which results in 0 loss on the pvper’s end ? like with all due respect the only part i can agree with is the time to find the player but effort ? u lose nothing if u die to them since they don’t suspect that they will get jumped by SAID specific person. just don’t be overthetop greedy and take a bounty that will backfire lol

Its not risky but it does take effort to sink a ship, besides if you take too long gathering the chests the original owner might try to get them back, or some random opportunist might, but yeah the main factor is the time

original owner wouldn’t be able to go get them back, by the time their ship respawns you’re already well on your way to selling the loot and the victim might be somewhere that they can’t even repair their ship, making it impossible for them to catch up before chests are sold

1. people that are bold enough to attempt this have way too much experience in sinking boats and have boats specifically built to take down other boats. the “effort” is negligible to these types of people

2. ur missing the point of what i said. lets say the person u jumped was goated at pvp. and that u infact did lose the fight. u don’t lose anything at all. you are the aggressor with nothing to lose and they are the victim with everything to lose.

3. this right here

Chainshot, board, kill the player, disable respawn point, done.

i will at least point out though that something people can do to mitigate getting jumped is to do darksea in the bronze sea northward, and then use the nimbus border to go straight to sameria in nimbus, esp since nimbus servers are quieter

this doesn’t solve the problem though, it just mitigates it for SOME people who know the trick (which is why I’m saying it here)

who ironed bros brain :sob: shit be a little too smooth

The dark sea feel like an extraction game like Tarkov, you either play it as safely as possible, get the minimum loot and dip or just fuck it and get the most loot you can.

Something like that

My guy 40% of what Vetex was talking about was about PvPers.

Look I know I said to be angry in the comments but this is a lil much :sob:

Yeah off the bat we immediately have whiners. What’s being an asshole? Killing ppl?

Tbh I don’t know why I even bothered making this post. You can disagree slightly and “rage bait” gets put in your title w/o your permission or wtver at all. What a half-assed snarky way to try to one-up someone on a forum about a video game

Yea lol, I’ve only been jumped if I sail to Ravenna w/ loot. Thorin’s Refuge is called a Refuge for a reason!