What Happened To Thermo?

hi all. getting back in to the game after a long time; dark sea was too hype to pass up.

got back in the game and immediately noticed thermo felt… awful.

i don’t exactly have a newer clip for comparison since I immediately switched it for Iron Leg; but here’s a much older clip of my build (around 100aspd)

if anyone has a newer clip to compare (preferably a slow magic), that would be nice.

my question is why was my thermo so awful to play? my M1s were slightly faster than iron leg M1s, but most importantly of all the heat bar has absolutely no ability to hold up even if you are using skills whenever immediately possible.

what is the point of speed if I can’t ever stay above 50% heat? what’s the point of afterimage dodges if I can’t use them after 2 seconds (because the heat drain is godawful)

if anyone knows the specific changes to thermo fist and whatever hell all the stat scaling went through, that would be much appreciated.

also a side-note: why does Crash suck now, never goes anywhere 75% of the time, and jesus christ, Rush hitboxes still suck. i love Selino and agility though, keeps me sane.

7 Likes

Fighting styles in general are just kinda ass now. I have Iron leg on my savant and crash has basically turned into shockwave smash.

1 Like

died as it deserved

2 Likes

what? did I miss some Thermo meta or something? I don’t see why it’s ok for it to be virtually useless if you just suck fighting against it?

thermofist was gutted because it was meta for a while

The biggest meta since launch. Though now its pitiful for no reason. Common Balance Team L

1 Like

oh jesus christ these changes are awful

you make heat drain 33% faster, don’t increase the heat gain from skills at all, and pretend Thermo users have an infinite energy storage by making skills the only way to increase it?

did any of them genuinely playtest this? it’s so atrocious that in 100 ping, your heat meter falls after any skill you use. sad.

4 Likes

Wow I didn’t even realized they completely removed the heat gain from m1 on thermo… What the hell??? This was like a feature in Impact Fist expect that it was actually “cancerous” (old gaming term oh how i miss it) while thermo in the past WAS kind of annoying to deal with there wasn’t any reason to remove the m1 heat gain…

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I talked to a friend before who plays AO and his class being berserker, he says Thermo fist is a “niche style” now (do note that he is an actual PvPer and not a munera dweller with 900+ kills under 100 hours but has low bounty) so I guess Thermo really is gutted for reals, he still uses thermo fist cus he likes it anyway.

1 Like

I have a question.
Have you ever gone to a fair? If you have, did you ever see that ship ride that rocks back and forth?
Thats everything in this game in the hands of the balance team. Back and forth, never really balanced, always a swinging pendulum.

6 Likes

you still get heat from m1s thankfully since vetex isn’t stupid but it was cut by 50%

3 Likes

Oh that’s good to know, maybe I’ll switch from sailor’s to thermo in my berserker file since I want to change up my style now knowing that the m1 heat gain is still there thankfully.

i… honestly wouldn’t get your hopes up. the game is still terribly performance starved. I have M1ed with thermo in 120 ping servers and the heat bar would start falling before my next M1. Thermo’s in such a laughable state right now, it’s like nobody except Deepwoken can balance a game on roblox atp, and even they’re shaky.

it’s just so funny since I’ve met 2 Warlocks who wanted spar with me asked me why they’re performing poorly in PvP and I just tell them to switch to iron leg, lmao

3 Likes

People have said you should commit to your build, but when some builds just get nerfed into the void, its kinda hard not to sway

1 Like

well, my hope is some masochist on the balancing team tries bounty hunting with thermo and gets frustrated when he can’t go above 20% heat because the heat drain is awful, and he gets airstalled to death because instead of fixing airstalling, it’s better to just kill off mobility moves ;^)

1 Like

Also the drawback stat is nearly unusable on thermo unless you like starting a fight with half hp.

Its just like this in release mage was very OP and fighting styles were very bad and underpowered so they buff fs and nerfed magic but now fs are very OP so now they buff magic and nerf fs but RIGHT NOW fs are now very underpowered and mage is OP

Summary is a back and forth battle between mage and berserker and Warrior and Savant are the ones watching it

1. damage nerf, somewhat understandable
  2. sure
  3. why? I get the heat meter not running low, but 33% makes it so you literally have to be punching in-between skills to maintain heat now.
  4. agreeable, very cheesy way of keeping up heat
  5. yes, remove more cheese

in my opinion? buff thermo so actually landing a move (it dealing damage) gives you twice the amount of heat and grace time, and reduce heat drain

• allows thermo players to play aggressively in a smart way; right now thermo seems to be balanced around mindless aggression and skill spam to utilize their meter. rewarding hits lets people figure out how to hit quickly, consecutively, and rewards thinking and fighting
  • if the aggressor is sentient, they will realize their enemy has thermo and try to evade them
  • don’t give me shit about “muhhh PvE” when mages exist
1 Like

The hell did I do

you’re lucky you’re pepperoni, cheese pizza is pizza without a soul
(it’s actually pretty good)