What If Shadow Magic Was More Realistic?

What if instead of the standard blast, beam, explosion type spells, shadow magic worked like actual shadows. The best example I have of this would be Shikamaru’s Shadow Jutsu. It only works through shadows and wouldn’t be able to work in lit areas. I personally don’t think this would work well and would make fighting virtually impossible. What’s your take on this?

How to make shadow go from best magic to the worst magic in the game

yeah. fighting would be impossible

if it would its damage better be FUCKING jacked

Shadow is a Base Magic. This would not reasonably be a thing unless it was a Lost Magic/Technique.

1 Like

yeah. being able to realistically manipulate shadows seems like a Curse type like Shadow Curse

zone lost spell EZZZZZZZZZZ

If you really want to make shadow realistic, remove it
Shadows are literally an absense of something

Hmm… seems like a great lost spell

If shadow was realistic:

intentionally left blank

lore-wise, no.

functionally magic is just magic energy given the shape/properties of a specific element or whatever

“weak elements” that wouldn’t normally hurt someone (like light, water, ink, shadow) do damage because the magic energy is clashing with the other person’s energy or whatever

“strong elements” like magma and earth do less damage than they’d realistically do because of this too (for weaker wizards at least)

the properties may augment the energy but the “element” itself isn’t what comes out in a way

from a gameplay perspective,
way too much unique shit for a base magic

How about NO shadow magic

Because shadows are EDGY

and EDGY is cringy

Excuse me

I was thinking more of a “spread the shadows” approach, not a “ok so now you’re useless unless you’re in a partially shaded area”.

Being able to change the time to night with a lost or ancient variant of shadow magic would be epic, vise versa with light magic.

dyieng

2 Likes

Light, water, and ink can all damage you in high enough quantities.

yes however they are things that wouldn’t normally tear people’s limbs off or vaporize them near-instantly

1 Like

shouldn’t it be the opposite? only works in lit areas and not shadows?

but it’s shadow magic. Realistically, shadows can’t operate in the presence of light. only the absence of it

how do you cast a shadow on a shadow

2 Likes