What is the actual point of shadow

like, in all honestly, sure, stat wise and appearance wise it looks cool and edgy and epic, but like, in practicality, it is so damn worthless you may as well be a weapon main if you choose this magic for snergies.

like it has no damage combos AT ALL, none whatsoever, in fact, all of its synergies are negative ones, meaning shadow just does less damage instead of doing more.

I mean I’m no expert in the nitpicky numbers crunching so maybe there is like some very niche mathematically proven usage for shadow, but from someone who has used every magic thoroughly up to level 90 (except ink, weird ass magic) I can confidently say shadow has the illusion of looking good via stats, but in the grand scheme is totally worthless…

damage

3 Likes

the point of shadow is to give edge lords a magic they can use.

3 Likes

but at what cost?

who cares about synergies bro just get raw damag

3 Likes

this is the most horribly wrong opinion I’ve seen on the forums ngl.

1 Like

shadow will likely have synergies with lost/ancient magics like darkness, death, equinox etc

you can also use it to have a neutral synergy with most magics, and only use it for the stats. not everything has to be about synergies

2 Likes

i dont think i want you to think my opinion is correct in the first place so

yeah but like whats the point of using a petrified synergy with shadow when things like sand are a lot better for damage.

weird comeback but okay

if this wasnt a joke you would have had so many angry pvpers in the comment section lol

just dont use it if it doesn’t match what you’re going for

There’s more to magic than synergies and stats (the latter of which shadow almost excels at), some people just like a magic cause they think it’s cool or it suits their playstyle

1 Like

but it is!!111

sure it looks nice, sounds nice, and even has great stats, but so many other magics outclass it in synergy potential and utility there’s no real point of using shadow unless you’re an edgelord.

1 Like

okay fair enough

sand is slower and has less size tho?
and the dmg difference between the two isnt even that big compared to the speed and size diff

not everything is about synergies tho? Shadow is broken as a standalone magic and will still be good even without synergies

weapon mains can inflict bleed, probably the most used status effect for synergies.

Shadow’s only good on it’s own. That’s it’s little niche/gimmick. It has pretty much the best stats out of any magic because that’s all it has. If it had that + decent synergy then it’d undeniably be busted.

We don’t really know what the AO meta is like but I doubt synergies are going to be an absolute must have to succeed in PvP. Synergies won’t always be able to get off too, magics like Magma can outright remove a bunch of status effects just by charging their magic energy. Shadow benefits from being edgy, it’s a loner. It doesn’t need synergy to do good damage while also having good speed.

tldr; If you want to use one magic and or not rely on synergies then Shadow is for you. If you want Synergies than every other magic would be better.

oh i didn’t know that I just thought is was slower but barely noticeable.

i mean someone who uses wood my whole world is synergies

it should be very noticeable since the difference between them is 0.3 and the size difference is i believe 0.1? Not that big but still noticeable

edit: the sizes are actually the same but the speed diff is 0.35 and the dmg diff is only 0.025

but ye sand does have way better synergies but synergies arent the main focus of shadow anyways :person_shrugging:

even then, shadow has stats to make up for the lack of synergies. And who knows maybe it will get synergies with lost and ancient magics or it might receive stat buffs in the future to further strengthen its position as a stand-alone magic :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

If you’re going a combo build with fighting styles and choose all fighting styles there is a good reason to want a magic based solely on base stats.