Why are OCs always edgy?

(disclaimer: i know there’s an exception to everything, so there’s probably some non-edgy OCs, this is just a very general question.)

“So, what about your par-“

“They’re dead.”

“Okay, well, do you-“

“I have a hobby of hurting others for fun.”

“Ah…and you-“

“I don’t actually care about anyone, or have any heroic qualities. In fact, I shouldn’t even be the book’s hero, but the writer likes me so I get to stay. LOL!”

literally, why are OCs always like that? like yeah, i get they can tend to be edgy in different “flavors” but they always are edgy in some way. I just wanna know why this is.

and yeah, i know there’s good edgy characters in fiction like red hood and the sort, and it’s not like OCs can’t have negative qualities, it’s just weird that they always turn out to be super edgy.

1 Like

Probably because the creator is inspired by characters that fall into some common tropes.

For example dead parents are extremely common in fiction (Harry Potter, most anime protagonists, Eragon, Spider-Man, Batman, super man, etc), so when someone created a character that is in any way inspired by these characters this is one of the easiest plot points/backstories to stuff in.

The other stuff you mentioned are, like dead parents, really common traits in fiction and if someone thinks characters like these are ‘cool’ it makes sense why they’d try to model an OC after them

1 Like

Its usually funner to create an OC which isn’t really related to you in any way in most cases at least. Or the usual tropes associated with giving a character depth just look cool with some mish-mash. Personally though, my OCs are characters I would get along with hehe.

3 Likes

Possibly a misguided attempt at adding depth / recreating the coolness of characters theyve seen in other media but i dont know anything about that
no im not speaking from personal experience what are you talking about

:slightly_frowning_face:

I believe there’s multiple factors here, no particular order

1. Media Consumption
People are easily inspired by what they see and want to incorporate it to their own media. This isn’t special to the edge lord OCs, as we all do this. Basically what Divanochi said, there’s a lot of media with edge topics that people easily find interesting and incorporate into their own ideas.

2. Attempt at Depth
When you see the edgier side of media, it’s usually seen as more interesting and “realistic” than a goody good shoes hero that does basic heroic actions. People want their OCs to be more interesting so they edge it up. Say like, the belief is that Edginess has more potential to be more unique and fun than the good boy archetype. Though, the desire to be unique among the fiction world had the opposite effect on them

3. Rant/Intrusive Thoughts, A Message
I’d say this is a lot rarer in comparison to the other ones. This is where you edge it up for the sole purpose of ranting or giving a message. As people, we do stuff based on what we believed in or what we want, and illustrating/writing about it is one of the best way to get it out there. The Edgy OC may represent their struggles IRL or it may represent the hatred on a topic or type of person. It can be straight petty or admittedly sad

I’m most likely missing more but that’s what I think so yea

2 Likes

" you… have pfp of a very specific forumer who was banned… care to explain?"
“i asked him and he has not given me an explanation”
“Might wanna look into this snake”

A users very edgy quote

5 Likes

tbf, “realistic” is usually realistic when there’s good and bad, like spider-man and how he and basically every real person has ups and downs, full on “edge godhood” is actually unrealistic imo

Yeah that’s why I placed the quotation marks, there’s that common theme where constant edgy bombardment makes the story more “realistic” which is just eh no

based ngl

its so sad that lebron james died today

:scream: :scream: :scream:

me sitting here with a horny kawaii anime enjoying cyborg and someone who has never actually had a coherent thought in their life that breathes fire:

1 Like

Im completely confused; is this a general argument on edginess in characters, or is it only commenting on “bad” edgy characters?

I think it’s just making fun of how most more mysterious and dark characters have a pretty generic and predictable formula that’s been exploited and reused to absurd levels

My OC’s parents died in a war he accidentally joined. His actions ended up bringing his dad’s death and he outlived his mother because being a soulbound halts your bodies age process.

Anyways he also loves to insult and make fun of people.

My oc be a pirate with no parents and shit but aint edgy, a but of the opposite ig

my oc be some normal kid who has parents, but pretty much has bones made of like glass or something weak, and would have died multiple times over if they didn’t have funni no die powers

my main dragon OC’s parents are alive I’d guess? Fathomless don’t really do parents…

1 Like

Shadow the hedgehog. need i say more?