World Map Poll

Since the world map for AO hasn’t been started on yet, there’s still room for speculation how it will be handled. Which would you prefer?

Option A: World Map would be similar to WOM where your player has a cursor on their current location in the world. However, parts of the map would be greyed until you explored it. It’d be easy to navigate and practically the same as World of Magic.

Option B: World Map is greyed out until you explore certain parts of it, however there’s no cursor on your player. You would have to use your surroundings and general knowledge to know where you are on the map, and you’d get more familiar with the sea over time.

• Option A:
  • Option B:

0 voters

1 Like

i feel like it should be toggleable, so if you want to
challenge yourself in a playthrough you can, but others can have an easier time navigating

15 Likes

if there will be a compass of sorts in ao (already in wom), option b will be cool.
if not, option a would be better.

yeah a setting for it would be cool

yea there’s a compass
compass

1 Like

Personally I want AO’s map to be more static than WoM’s so that it really highlights how you need to learn your way around the sea. Just the islands and a compass, not much more than that.

I like this idea a lot too

Although option B is more realistic, its super inconvenient. Option A is easier to use and there isn’t really any reason not to have it.

1 Like

Judging by the trello it seems like it’s gonna be option A, though a toggleable option would be cool

option B is much cooler but there’s absolutely no way its gonna work like that
it’s roblox, you gotta consider the lowest common denominator

5 Likes

I love the idea of Option B but i would rather have it toggleable or something like that.Option A is just the best option in my opinion.

Option B sounds so much more like a fun adventure game, and I believe it’d be the most fun course of action but, realistically… Vetex has to account for the younger audience, roblox games are typically easy and the ones that are very difficult die off quickly (deepwoken, rogue etc)

I think the dark seas will add enough difficulty & challenge to those looking for a harder adventures and so it’ may perhaps be better for vetex to add option A to meet the wants of both parties.

3 Likes

This is very true,also if the dark sea does have a map option B would fit much better with the dark seas with it being alot harder.

1 Like

for sure :handshake:

1 Like

I feel like half the polls people just suggest do toggleable which i don’t think is a good idea, the point of making it not visible is to give it a more immerse and realistic experience, it doesn’t make much sense if there’s a setting to directly make the game harder for yourself, almost nobody who voted for no visibility would do no visibility for most of the time if it were an option

4 Likes

option B sounds super fun and realistic but its impractical and it’d be annoying

True,good point

It doesn’t really matter.
Unless you ALWAYS have your graphics on 1 once you have the map it should be pretty easy to navigate the seas regardless of whether or not we have a cursor to indicate where we are.

Though I’d recommend we stop acting like this game has to be cat mario levels of bullshit in every single aspect.

A game does not have to be keyboard smashingly hard to be good and I’m tired of devs thinking like that.

A game is supposed to be fun. If it has a lot of mechanics in it. And they’re all enjoyable Idgaf what else changes.

Option A.

No one is acting like this though? This is literally just about a map and most people want it to be toggle-able option. It wouldn’t even make the game harder if it was just set to option B unless you have to keep your graphics low ._.

2 Likes

I feel like alot of you guys are underestimating the intelligence of most kids who play ROBLOX tbh. I have an 11 year old cousin who’s obsessed with Blox Fruits and he knows how to get everywhere in that game without the need for a map or cursor. Deepwoken, GPO, and Blox Fruits are all games set in the ocean with multiple islands and none of them have a world map. But they’re all still relatively successful and easy to navigate (except GPO cause islands are years away from each other)

The fact that AO will even have a world map in the first place already makes it more accessible than those games. The main storyline will probably have markers that let you know where to go next and islands aren’t ridiculously far from each other like in GPO so getting lost won’t even be that big of an issue. Not only that, if the markers from WOM return you can literally just mark islands so that if you somehow get lost you can find your way back.

1 Like

Also keep in mind not even AA had a world map or cursor and that map was easy as hell to remember all the way from first sea to third sea. The only reason WOM probably had a cursor was because it was a giant landmass with less memorable POIs so getting lost was way easier.

Having a map with a cursor on an ocean based game makes the locales less memorable because instead of learning where places are by looking around you (it’s literally not that hard) you rely on a map to know where you are and it ends up being less engaging. Option B would just be Arcane Adventures again except with a world map it’s not even a radical change. If you still get completely lost in a game with a map, markers, recognizable POIs, a compass and a storyline tracker telling you where to go next then the game isn’t hard you just have a shitty sense of direction

Facts, a static map isn’t hard at all to use. It can be as simple as “I’m on this island, so to get to this island I need to go northwest” (the fact that we have a compass greatly helps too)

Yeah I wanted to make this point as well, most games on roblox don’t even have a map yet people manage to make their way around just fine.