A proposal for reworking the most tedious feature of AO: Modifiers

A proposal for reworking the most tedious feature of AO: Modifiers
effort 4.371428571428571 35 quality 4.473684210526316 38 reasonability 4.347826086956522 46

Why don’t we just…make it so they can’t be applied to boss drops and sunkens? Just suggest that they can’t be applied to what they already can’t be applied to, the entire reason modifiers were added was to make boss drops not the only way to get a good build

Idk that small detail might be the difference between Vetex accepting it or not

Hmmmm

Oh :man_standing:

Just make them not appear in the inventory when you try to apply a modifier to an item

I feel like instead of using T2 enchantments, it’d make way more sense to cancel modifiers out with other modifiers

Like frozen on superheated removes superheated for example

This peak content :fr:

No, not at all, the point of modifiers is you get stat buffs to regular items by opening chests you get from a specific feature, like treasure charts, diving, or abyssal diving next update (except for the atlantean modifier)

So enchants with rng

What’s your point

Consumable item that gives an armor piece stat buffs = Comparable to enchants

Buffed version of an item that you get by participating in a specific pve activity until you get the item = Not comparable to enchants

You get enchants by doing a pve activity (dark sea) until you get the one you want, the main difference is the extra layer of rng because modifiers are ONLY pre applied

Modifiers are already functionally fancier enchants, there’s no reason to be stuck up about it and say they HAVE to be a pain in the ass to grind or they aren’t unique enough. If you really want them to be more unique, suggest a different system for modifiers entirely. Since the current one is total ass

I never said they have to be a pain in the ass to grind, that’s a strawman argument. The current system for modifiers isn’t bad, treasure chart drop rates just aren’t high enough which is being changed next update.

Drop rates/obtainability being too low ≠ conceptual flaw

You get enchants for nearly every stat by doing the dark sea, you only get one type of modifier for each chart, that’s also a notable difference. Modifiers have more variation to them

Well in practice, every modifier except for one is still a direct stat increase without any penalty. They’re very identical to enchantments with the only difference being how much you need to grind.

As it is a direct stat increase with zero penalty, it is effectively required because otherwise, you’ll have to fight at a disadvantage. This is the core issue of modifiers in my opinion.

You can argue that enchantments also have the same issue, but I’ll say we keep enchantments the same, and rework modifiers to be something more unique.

Alright, but name a difference between them alone, what’s the main difference between blasted armor and powerful armor

I mean it’s an rpg game, if your gear is worse you’ll have a disadvantage, that’s not worth discussing. Arguing that it’s effectively required because otherwise you’d be at a disadvantage is the same as complaining about a lower level player being at a disadvantage compared to a higher level player.

The topic worth debating is whether or not the stat buff is reasonable to obtain or not.
I’m currently only arguing against ops idea which would make modifiers too similar to enchants. If the issue is that modifiers feel like obnoxious min-maxing then the easiest and best solution is just to buff the drop rates (which is happening).

“Name a difference between them alone” it’s almost like that completely defies the point because the difference lies in the obtainment method

Actually imo the REAL easiest solution is…
Step 1, change the code for treasure charts so it rolls for a modifier FIRST instead of the gear.
Step 2, make it so that if you roll a modifier, get rid of all the gear labeled as “cosmetic” from the drop pool (fedoras, maid dresses, etc.)
Step 3, buff the rates of arcanium and amulets compared to other items in the newly shrunk drop pool for modifiers.

Congrats, you have mostly solved the issue, as now whenever you get a modified item you at the very least have an item with actual value on the market

2 Likes

Ok so, you are saying they are too similar, then dodging the question when I show that they are already similar.

This argument is pretty unreasonable as darkbit would put it. You are arguing with the number 1 hater of modifiers, what do you expect to accomplish?

Increasing the drop rates also solves this while remaining intuitive and being much easier to implement

I do agree that modifiers could be more interesting but that’s not the main point of OP’s suggestion