A proposal for reworking the most tedious feature of AO: Modifiers

A proposal for reworking the most tedious feature of AO: Modifiers
effort 4.371428571428571 35 quality 4.473684210526316 38 reasonability 4.347826086956522 46

SUMMARY AND INTRODUCTION

Modifiers, are… well, you should know what they are by this point.

They’re a pretty fun concept on paper, but the way it’s been currently implemented into arcane odyssey is somewhat… problematic. It raises the barrier to entry in PvP, it’s extremely RNG based as different islands have different modifiers on them, which is fine on it’s own, but it’s so much worse when the items from charts on random islands, are also random too

This simple, yet hopefully meaningful suggestion, aims to try and change the current way modifiers can be utilized ingame, to make them less annoying to grind for, and more intuitive to use.

THE IDEA

Make all modifiers obtained not pre-imbued onto random armor pieces, but as special “essentias” just like atlantean essence, that can be added onto armors of the players choice.

It’s such a simple idea, really, to make all modifiers behave like atlantean essence, but when you look closer, you realize why it would be so much better and healthier for the game in almost every single way possible.

Before we can start understanding the ways in why this change in my opinion would be better, let’s look at how these essentias would be obtained in the first place.

-Essentias can be obtained via completing treasure charts, the rarer/higher quality the chart, the more likely you’ll dig up 1 or 2 of them.

-Essentias work functionally identically to that of atlantean essence, where they can be applied to a piece of armor of your choice, altering said armor’s stats permanently.

-Perhaps there can be a way for the player to remove essentia from an item? Haven’t thought out this part through yet, but it’d be more QoL for the players, which is always nice to have.

-as compensation for some players who like the grind, pre-modified items can appear in charts along with essentias, infact, essentias themselves can be a bit more rare than a pre-modified accessory/armorpiece (probably almost entirely likely to get an essentia though if you have a legendary chart) whereas normal modified items appear more frequently regardless of chart rarity.

Reason to add/change

Modifiers are annoying in their current state. They’re grindy, random, and irritating to deal with when build-making. Nobody likes that feeling when you get a chart on Akursius, just so you get a blasted leather helmet and a blasted toothpick, this change aims to make the armor-building process just a little bit easier for everyone.

The only complications I’d see coming from this is that items that previously couldn’t be modified such as sunken gear and boss drops would now be able to get any modifier in the game, which, some may argue could be unbalanced, but then again, those items can all be imbued with atlantean essence, and nobody seems to complain on that front. Atlantean essence wouldn’t lose value either due to the imbue effects being so much stronger compared to that of just regular essentias found rarely through island charts. Though if anyone wishes for an easier solution, sunken items and bossdrops can just be specifically not modifiable outside of atlantean essence.

23 Likes

sigma

IT'S JUST... SO PEAK 😭 : r/Jujutsufolk

1 Like

No Vetex, I do not want to spend several hours just doing treasure charts just so I can have a viable build.

4 Likes

Not a fan, I like doing charts, and I like getting excited over an Akursius chart, and I like getting a rare combination of an item and modifier that’s super good or valuable. It’s a degree of gameplay that’s lost on many, and maybe just considered boring, but I’d be sad to miss it.

4 Likes

bro you are like the 1% ngl cope tbh

1 Like

Well don’t tell me to shut up, I’m sharing my thoughts on it.
You made the suggestion, now deal with the opposition to it.

opinion is not an impact of reasonability, that’s quality.

this is absolutely a reasonable suggestion, but you may not like it

1 Like

yknow I like the first amendment in most cases, BUT

The only real issue would be sunken armor with modifiers but you can just make it so you can’t modify sunken armor

I’m rating it based on my opinion on it. What are you rating it on?

just say sunken armor is already drowned, problem solved

2 Likes

Enchant it with virtuous and put crystalline essence on it.

ngl I kinda wouldn’t mind a crystalline sunken warrior piece or 2

more freedom means more build possibilities, which I think is fun

I’m saying that this is a reasonable suggestion, you are saying you don’t like it. I think that should decrease the quality rating, not the reasonability rating

It’s a quality piece of suggestion, no doubt. The quality is there.

ok then, how is it unreasonable to the point you’d give it one star.

This would fit perfeclty in the game, and wouldn’t break balancing. YOU just don’t like it

you know, when you think about it, you’re still required to do treasure charts for these essentias, it’s not like they’re easier to get, it’s just that they’re a lot less random and you have more control over what you want to change

this is supposed to be a semi-subjective rating.

If you don’t like a suggestion, but you just don’t like the mechanic, you just shouldn’t rate it instead of giving it a false low rating

Well no, because I like it being random. I don’t want to just dig in akursius keep, get a modifier, and be able to put it on an arcsphere effort-free.

It’s fine if you want that, but I don’t and I’m basing my rating on that.