A suggestion to possibly disable PVP?

Don’t get me wrong PVP is fun, the ability to fight others and challenge one’s skills with the game’s mechanics can often be exhilarating. However, I can’t deny the huge annoyance of being bounty hunted for having less than 1,000 fame or getting murked by a player despite having neutral reputation. All the while my ship gets sunk, and my galleons looted. This is especially true for players who aren’t interested in PVP in general and prefer the PVE aspect of the game instead, with their build overall not being suited to the incredibly sweaty combat from players who design their build with the intent of hunting others.

Its especially annoying for many when a PVE player is doing a leisure activity such as solving treasure charts or fishing, but then proceeds to get assaulted, which in of itself gives the attacker an advantage since they’re catching their opponent with their guard down.

Thus I would like to present a solution so that players who want to avoid PVP can deliberately choose:

Introduce a disabling PVP option. Now of course that seems kind of simple but hear me out. When activated a player can no longer be damaged by any other player regardless of reputational status and regardless if they have a bounty or not. Furthermore, this goes both ways, meaning a player with PVP disabled also cannot damage another player who has PVP on, thus preventing exploitation.

Additionally, a player disabling PVP means that their fame or bounty wherever it may be is locked as its current value, and cannot be increased or decreased regardless of how many NPC they attack. It is still possible to reset their reputation at the Grand Navy base even with this mode activated. This ensures that one cannot exploit the system to further climb the leaderboard of positive or negative rep, again with the leaderboard being a “PVP” centered aspect of the game. That being said, people with reputations placing them of the top 100 or so of the positive or negative reputation leaderboard should not have the option to disable PVP, since all they’ll be doing is securing a specific position which would be unfair for those who wish to climb the leaderboard as well.

I understand for many that PVP is a core aspect of the game, but its worth noting that PVP being A core aspect of the game is not the same as it being THE core aspect of the game. Hence I hope this solution comes through to ensure that everyone, PVP or PVE players can enjoy the game for the compartments that they best associate with, rather than being inevitably dragged into other aspects they’d rather avoid.

What do you guys think? Are there any changes to this solution you would recommend.

(EDIT: Wow I didn’t think this post would catch a lot of attention, but I appreciate the replies informing me of Vetex concrete decision on NOT adding PVP option. I do appreciate the discussions that give genuine insight into why disabling PVP might not be ideal, and I hope to see more as time passes!)

3 Likes

Im pretty sure vetex said at one time that he will NEVER add a pvp toggle/disabling system

Which sucks but i do understand his standpoint, i just wish he’d understand how Horrendous the game is for casual players right now

That said, there’s another comment i saw recently with the idea of punishing people by making the game essentially harder to Random kill/draw out fights and make it overall harder to random attack people that i liked, thats probably the best a PVE Player can get

Also, I think the community right now is forcing PVP to be the Core aspect, I remember Vetex having always said that pvp was specifically a side aspect, with the core aspect being as you pointed out, treasure hunting and exploring the world. The game is just being gatekept at the moment, I feel.

7 Likes
  1. List of declined suggestions.

2. There is special category for making suggestions.

2 letters no

No, just no, it will never be a thing.

I like this idea. Actually, I like any and all ideas for a PVP toggle. Unfortunately, some people here really live the idea of murdering everyone they come across, and Vetex is weirdly insistent on keeping it in the game.

And some people wonder why the casual experience for this game isn’t great.

9 Likes

You can just go good rep and virtually have this.

PvP would essentially be disabled against anyone with a green name.

Oh yeah, forgot this was now a thing.

90% of the sweat types are villain reps, this only really saves you from navy people

however that positive rep shield better not be fucking removed regardless

As much as I would love to have this, the response is no from vetex

You do realize Grand Navy players couldn’t fight fame players without a party with FF on even before the renown shield was added, right?
Fame players were always protected against the Navy.

1 Like

no.
no matter your arguments, global pvp will always be a thing
without global pvp you arent alert at all times
if global pvp is turned off, the game will lose alot of its players AND it will most likely get boring because there is no immediate threat or danger thats engaging enough to put effort into to escape from and turn out victorious

1 Like

close the topic pls

you do realize that the primary reason people casually play games is to not be stressed, right?
this isn’t deepwoken, AO is not marketed on how stressful and hardcore it is, if that’s what you’re looking for, look for a lineage game lol.

I don’t hop on AO and think “wow I can’t wait to be looking over my shoulder to make sure I’m not gonna get ambushed constantly!! I love not being able to trust the people I meet to not see me as little more than a possible source of infamy/fame/bounty!!!”
Do you?

10 Likes

facts bro

still, no is no
no arguing about that

Pvp toggle suggestion, prepare for the horde

2 Likes

The community doesnt give a flap

Check out the poll

He said that having positive reputation would prevent you from getting attacked frequently, rather than staying neutral rep. I said that not staying neutral rep would only protect you from Grand Navy sweats because most people who are trying to kill you are villains.