Agility rework is here

the issue with agility in its current state is its too bad in combat, but too good for running away. its effectiveness needs to be distributed more fairly.

the goal isnt to remove running away, but to make it take more effort. it is far too easy to run away if you invest in agility currently due to pretty much all attack stopping you in place when you use them. we want to make it that, if you have good situational awareness, itll be possible to run away, instead of just running away in a straight line
- summarised from Metapoly’s message to me after i asked

2 Likes

watch these people advocate for intensity to be removed because of wind and microwave plasma poison mages :sob:

can we also make ganking take more effort so someone doesn’t get 500+ damage in the first few seconds, if not then this change feels very one sided

propose an idea on how to make ganking “take more effort” as what youre saying feels like an issue with attack speed in general

Gladly, make it so that for the first few seconds of combat you take only a percentage of damage (80% damage reduction?)

so the solution to nerfing attack speed is to make damage reduction??

when did i say this was an attack speed issue

I happen to not have a horse in this race, but what do you mean here when you say “this game”? I don’t mean “what URL does the product that Vetex made reside in under Roblox’s web servers” when I ask this question, because you’re now making claims about the feature being “good” and “important”, and the literal code in the game itself doesn’t physically get affected by this. I ask for this amount of detail from you because I know that if I don’t I will effectively give you leeway to flip flop around wildly different definitions at your convenience (assuming you DO respond to this).

Anyway, I’m pretty sure that you’re either referring to the game’s community as influenced but ultimately separate from the code, or the experience of using the tool that is the game’s code which is being imagined as at least somewhat separated from the community. The former would be like talking about the members, games, activities, culture, and general sense of cohesion in your high school anime club. The latter would be like talking about the physical ambience of the venue, the camera quality of the projector your fellow club members watch anime with, the general daily (or weekly) routine of the club, and so on and so forth. Obviously with a real club it seems psychopathic to describe it in the latter sense since you are always seeing people in the club and they cannot be divorced from the experience - clubs and social gatherings are not tools (as far as most would say).

My curiosity here is in how “gamers” conceptualize multiplayer games, since games are bought and advertised for and “consumed” like a commodity, but involve intercommunal interaction like a real-life group activity, so my belief here is that people generally want to consume the piece of entertainment like a commodity that THEY own, but have to deal with the fact that they must interact with others, and that others have the capacity to generally subvert the way that they choose to consume the content.

My question to you in light of my thoughts is this: given that the way you consume the game is not only unpopular but therefore inherently disruptive to the way the majority of players consume the game, why do you expect to be met wiht anything other than vitriol when something like this is suggested? You assert that “PvP is a good and important part of the game” but why should anyone give a shit about your conception of what’s good and important for the game? Even if you’re right, statistically speaking that’s not how most people want to consume the commodity, so you would still be heavily opposed. At least be slick about it and cry to the mods or something.

speed and size are fine, theyre not fundamental issues unlike agility

yup

And yes, the majority of people do not like or are ambivalent to PvP. This can be gleamed from everyday interaction, but look at this poll.

More specifically, compare this:

with this:

76% of the people in this survey are either neutral to it (okay/don’t particularly like or dislike) or actively despise it. This is compared to only 25% of the community either being neutral to or actively despising PvE. That’s a pretty brutal ratio. This isn’t even accounting for the fact that active involvement in PvP requires more engagement with the game than PvE does, so fora like these will have a natural bias towards having more PvP-heads.

Not even the majority agrees with you, so my question is why anyone should care about your opinion.

I struggle to see how ANYONE can like AO’s current PvE, it’s just running around spamming projectiles at walking statchecks

2 Likes

people have their preferences, doesn’t mean ganking em while they upgrade stuff is justified

That’s cool and all but the fact remains that most people prefer it over PvP. So are you proposing that Vetex make a change that most people will not like? Or do you have this ideal “magical” version of the game in your head that is somehow separate from the code and the community, that will be made “better” by your change?

AO is a commercialized game. It survives by convincing people to play it, which allows more money to be gathered, which allows Vetex to keep making the game again. Objectively speaking, any change that will increase the player count will help the game, any that will not will mar it. So what is your logic here?

I think I fully grasp the logic of the people suggesting this change and many similar changes, but the problem is that people are never explicit about what exactly they are trying to say. My belief (and I think I’m correct, but you may respond with any objections to this) is that you prefer to consume the game a certain way and you prefer that the player-to-player interactions happen a certain way, and that there is something objectively correct in your preferences (as opposed to those of others) and thus they should be prioritized. If that’s along the lines of what you are saying, then how does this not seem delusional to you?

Low renown doesn’t really help I have been hunted multiple times with under 25k bounty. And resetting renown takes time (especially now because we can’t reset reputation in nimbus) and money. Ultimately, resetting renown is also kind of pointless since anything you do will give you renown. It is way too easy to rack up 50k renown from pure pve

5 Likes

exactly what i’m saying, not everyone wants to reset their renown every 20 minutes and even if you do it’s pointless because people will still end up hunting you for no good reason : /

When did I say anything about change? If vetex wants the pve to be like that there’s nothing anyone can do about it, I was just stating that’s it’s currently blatantly mediocre

this is a crazy and disingenuous thing to say when turret mages and nuclear-sized attacks are a topic of discussion every balance change

1 Like

So I’m supposed to interpret this quote in a way that doesn’t mean that you would support the agility rework being proposed? I mean maybe you could criticize me for saying “your” change since you didn’t suggest it, but you very obviously would advocate for it.

My post was about the game’s pve, you replied mentionning “my change” so in my mind you were saying I proposed a change to the pve, wich I never did. I do indeed think the agility change is a good thing but it’s fully unrelated to the quality of the pve content (nonexistant)