Deckhands and Rivals Expansion

Deckhands and Rivals Expansion
effort 4.666666666666667 12 quality 4.916666666666667 12 reasonability 5.0 14

Personally, I find the current system for deckhands to be extremely strange and it only feels weirder the more I look at it.
I can kill the king of Ravenna, obliterate the entirety of Fort Talos, put the entire bronze legion on high alert with each and every member knowing my name and face, save Frostmill, defeat dozens of pirate ships, take over silverhold, kill merlot, kill kai, and SOMEHOW this guy hasn’t heard of me.
What kind of rocks are these guys living under?
Not to mention that I feel like at some point in the future, our crew may help us fight, and right now we have no idea what any of our deckhand’s movesets even are let alone their builds.

The rival system is nice but there will, in every player’s file, come a point where they tire of fighting the same enemy with the same combinations of abilities, even if it is slowly growing and becoming stronger.

So why not merge them?
After defeating a rival enough times, defeating them again will give you the option to recruit them, kill them, or walk away as usual.
Recruiting them would display their stats, name, and title like any other deckhand and allow you to take them on. If their stats are unsatisfactory you could still kill them or walk away at this point.
Killing them would get rid of them. Permanently. You’d have to simply find a new rival to fight.
Walking away would keep on as normal, they’d escape the navy once more, rest up, and prepare to hunt you once again.

I believe this will introduce a new grind that’ll keep players around in the PvE setting.
Hunting for a set of perfect rivals that not only look cool, but have powerful movesets AND good ship bonuses.

Why should this be implemented?
Be honest with me, does anybody really like deckhands how they currently work?
Why should permanent ship upgrades be locked behind a PvP exclusive mechanic?

43 Likes

Great idea, as it solves both issues of deckhands and rivals and offers a unique way of recruiting crew members

4 Likes

Makes sense, getting a new rival would be a great addition to the game, as well as a way to get new deckhands easier.

3 Likes

This is like my biggest problem with deckheads besides having an insane fame requirement

Personally I’m also a fan of alternative ways to getting them besides fame like through quests

9 Likes

Alternative ways to get deckhands is nice. Rivals joining your crew also does indeed make it more interessting. Personally i think you should defeat your rival 10 times before he can be recruited.
My problem with the idea is how would you determine the rarity/tier of the upcoming deckhands.
Personally i would say every 5 defeats ranked them up 1 tier, meaning you would indeed be able to recruit them at 10-15-20-25-30 defeats
After this it would also allow you to do it at 35, just not any change to their stats

7 Likes

Yes yes yes I love this idea. It’s so good but also seems very simple at the same time. God I hope this gets added

1 Like

Yes!, we need this so I can use the power of friendship to turn my mortal enemies into forced slavery.

4 Likes

Vetex already denied the idea of recruiting your rivals to become deckhands, not sure if he’s gonna change his mind

I can’t come up with a single reason to deny this idea outside of
“but deckhands were supposed to be the pvp thing nooooooo!!!”
or development time.

I do strongly believe this is a massive upgrade to both systems and I’d love to do away with how deckhands are upgraded right now too because everything related to renown sucks.

PvPers can have their titles, their leaderboards, and whatever else, but keep actual gameplay impacting upgrades out of it.

4 Likes

i do forget what the actual reasoning is but you could probably ask someone with the patreon to search up the conversation i’m referencing, but it was really strange reasoning, but I definitely agree with the separation

agree, the insane fame requirement just keeps me from trying to get deckhands. I dont care enough about bounty hunting to farm fame

1 Like

I love this idea, also didn’t notice that you made the suggestions chatroom idea into a real suggestion. Anything but having to grind for absurd amounts of renown

1 Like

I read the idea, thought “yea rivals are a bit stale right now but this solution doesn’t quite fix that or make them worthwhile”, and decided to try my own take at it to improve two systems simultaneously.

1 Like

couldn’t have said it better myself

personally I think that if you recruit them as deckhands and then later don’t need them, I assume you’d just part ways with them

What if when you don’t recruit them, whether you kill them or walk away is based on the Ruthless or Merciful traits you get on whether or not you kill Elius?

1 Like

well that’d force people to stick with a rival they don’t want or worse yet force them to kill a rival they want to keep.

2 Likes

I like the idea, I really do. There is only one problem with it however, what would fame be used for? The main use of fame is for deckhands (or atleast I think so), so what would be the use for fame if this was implemented? Overall great idea I would love to see this implemented, but I feel like there would need to be some sort of feature for fame, because if deckhands no longer care about fame, then the players won’t either.

Leaderboards and titles.
You underestimate how hard people will fight to have a special color in the menu.

3 Likes

Yes I’ve thought of that, I meant actual in-game uses rather than players wanting to have cool big number wowie. :nod:

I’m personally not a fan of locking anything that actually impacts gameplay behind renown, a feature that vetex seems to heavily insist stays as a pvp exclusive mechanic.

If it wasn’t pvp exclusive I’d feel completely differently about it.