Farming Tips? How does it work?

I have a LOT of questions:

• Do farming huts need to be close to farms to auto-harvest them, or does it work in any proximity?
  • If the huts need to be close, how close? What’s their radius like? Do the farmers need a walkable pathway to the farms, or could a farmer still harvest crops that are across a body of water so long as the farm is in the farmer’s harvestable radius?
  • Is there a limit to how many farms a single farmer can harvest, even in their radius? Or can they manage as many as there can be close to them?
  • How often do farmers auto-harvest crops? Is it as soon as they’re fully grown, or does it operate on a separate timer?
  • What’s the optimal configuration for a farmer to have access to as many crops as possible, including wheat and sugarcane? May include multiple huts. Should I try to put farmer huts in the center of farmland, surrounding the building with crops from all sides?

The Trello is shockingly vague about how all of this works. Usually it goes into explicit detail with complex features like this. Also kinda upsetting that there’s no way to view the farmer’s range, so we’re left to guess. I assume there is a limit, since otherwise why would you need more than one farmer?

• Radius
  • The radius is seen before placing it in the form of a forcefield sphere and I do not think that farmers need a path
  • I do not think so
  • As soon as they grow, I think
  • Make an island with surface terraforms, place one hut per island at its center and surround it with wheat farms and then sugarcane at its extremities (this is a theoretical summit)
6 Likes

Man I should pay more attention, I feel like a fool now :sob:

It’s really hard to see so I wouldn’t call you that

Sorry more questions :sob:

• Which is more profitable, wheat or sugarcane?
  • Will I need to replant reagents every time I load the build, or will the pots permanently be producing that same reagent?
  1. wheat takes up more space but gives 50% more galleons
  2. they permanently produce once you save but you cant take the reagents out, otherwise there would be duping

From what I’ve seen

• Both grow plants for 60 galleons, it’s just that wheat has 5 plants.
    Might want to verify this since there’s conflicting information

I found this video linked in a reply of this topic. Apparently, you can place sugarcane as long as one of its sides -no matter how small- is close to water.

1 Like