How to make Roblox Studio characters/rigs

Alright, in this guide, I’ll be going over on how to create characters (rigs) in Roblox studio, as per request. Also, this will be going over the generic AO style rigs.

How to insert a rig into Roblox studio

So, the first thing you are gonna need is a character, they will be called a rig from now on as that’s how they are reffered to in Roblox studio, I have linked a free model for you to use.
https://create.roblox.com/store/asset/88372714577017/Arcane-Odyssey-base-rig

Going into studio and placing the model listed above, you will now have a rig to work with.

You can do absolutely anything with it, colour it, change the body parts, add hats etc. I’ll be going over the few basics on what can you do.

How to add Accessories into Roblox studio

To add hats, you will need some sort of way to get assets into Roblox studio, which can be done either via script or a plugin. When it comes to plugins, you have couple of variations.

If you want to use the script variant, you need to insert this script into the command bar, if it’s not activated, you can find it in the view tab.

The script :
game:GetService("InsertService"):LoadAsset(INSERT ASSET ID HERE).Parent=Game.Workspace
This will insert an asset the workspace, which is gonna usually be a accessory.

You need to replace the INSERT ASSET ID HERE in the script to some actual ID. When you open an accessory from the catalog, the Accessory ID will be in the url.
image (for example)

If you plan on using the faster version, a plugin, you can download one from the toolbox, I personally use this one :
https://create.roblox.com/store/asset/608057817/Insert-Asset

How to Weld an Accessory (Important)

Now that you have your asset in Roblox studio, you can start adding them to the rig, which can be simply done by dragging the Accessory into the Rig, so in the end it will look something like this :
Right underneath are the stuff that you don’t want in the accessory, those are highlighted red, the green highlight means you need to replace it, and you will replace the Weld with a WeldConstraint, a much simplier version of a Weld (?).

Screen capture - 76f8804b4b01df82f708e266274eb39d - Gyazo
The weld NEEDS to be welded to the accessory and the body parts that it will move alongside it, so for example, if you have a cape accessory like i do in this video, you weld it to the UpperTorso.

That’s pretty much it with adding accessories to studio. You can retexture them, which i’ll go over in the next part.

How to change bodyparts

To change the body parts, you need to find a suitable character/package on the catalog. So for example, The titanium armor in AO uses Enchanted Redcliff Knight bundle, which I’m gonna use for this tutorial.

You are probably gonna need to use a browser plugin for this part, download BTRoblox plugin from the chrome plugin store. (Can skip if you have some sort of plugin in Studio)

Now that you have all the necessary stuff, it’s time to change the body parts.
At 1., you are gonna click the Explorer icon to open it.
At 2., you can change which body part or accessory (if the character/package has one) is selected.
Here are the parts you click, it will show you the part’s properties, amongst which is the texture and mesh, they are important for you right now.
You are gonna replace the MeshId and TextureId in the Studio with the browser Ids. You have to adjust he bodyparts manually so they dont look disconnected.

Once you do it for all the bodyparts on the chosen limb, it should look something like this. You can do this with any body part, and you can retexture them, which I’ll go over next.

How to retexture

Retexturing can be either really simple or hard, depends on what texture you are making.

You are gonna need some sort of software to retexture, you can use Paint. net, Clip studio paint, etc.
You are going to copy the Id and paste it into a roblox library link, like this :
TXT_EnchantedKnightofRedcliff_RightArm - Roblox

now that you have the image of the texture, you can either copy and paste it or download it and put into your paint software and edit it however you like.

After you finish your texture, save it into a file and upload it to roblox. Can be done either through the website or the Studio.
image (through studio)

End result :

That is literally it. You can do this with accessories and decals also.

Recommended plugins

Here is a handful of links to help you make a rig.

https://create.roblox.com/store/asset/7194420519/Suitor-Fast-Outfit-Insertion
https://create.roblox.com/store/asset/1919609509/Wear-Bundle

And with this concluded, this should get you into the very basics of making a rig.

Catean made a handy tutorial on how to get the AO faces and assets in a “ethical” way :

Tips n' Tricks (might get updated)

You should change the accessory/bodypart material to the corresponding texture (having a metal like armor should use the metal roblox material).

Learn how to edit meshes in Blender, it can help you make your rigs look better.

Get a good sense of character design, don’t just make grand fire curse or supercurse users for fucks sake.

14 Likes

While I already know all the things mentioned.

This tutorial must really help beginners in their AO fanmade content journey. and I thank you for your effort on writing this post

Yeah, I made this with this goal in mind. And also because people were asking me about it.

1 Like

I’m currently making a video tutorial on this same topic, but it’s nice you wrote this first before I released it.

and Btw, I suggest adding this plugin too

as it helps me a lot with getting catalog items easier

1 Like

mention me when you release it, i’ll add it here

This is awesome, thank you. Can’t wait to make a grand fire supercurse user :]

W debyl

When you retexture how do you get your textures to have like extra texturing like scraches. or like what plugin do you use for paint.net
653e59e332f233d6f34c57d69c57be8da25776ce_2_367x500

i just overlay them with a metal texture

1 Like

Wydm

layer 2 is a metal texture from the web

sick

Ahh ty

For those who don’t want to make use of a third party program (extensions/plugins), you can also insert bodyparts with the InsertService command used to add accessories.

Explanation

Select a bundle and scroll down until you find its “Included Items” category, from there, select any of them that is neither an animation or a costume.

After doing so, you can copy each individual part’s Id and insert it with the InsertService command.
This will insert ALL versions of the bodypart.

1 Like

I recommend using this plugin as well if you want to export an entire armor set rather than just pieces, it comes pre rigged too so you don’t have to deal with that. Just input the bundle ID and hit export

like what

the forums getting creative babbbyyyyyy

@BlackPhanters33 @jtn how do you retexture body parts like hands

If you modify the left/right upper arm’s texture ID it’ll do the entire arm
same applies to legs

if you just want to adjust the hand texture you could try putting in a shirt that only has something on the hands so it looks like gloves or something

thank you