Hunger Moderation

Hunger Moderation
effort 3.352941176470588 17 quality 2.75 16 reasonability 1.454545454545455 22

Hunger as it is currently is too simplistic. You have a meter that prevents you from eating another food once above 100 and instantly starts damaging you when you’re at 0 which doesn’t make sense considering according to lore, humans in arcane odyssey are superhumans that can block anything with their body, high jump and survive a huge fall yet their only weakness is a damn 0 hunger :rofl: . Basically I’m proposing an idea that could make hunger somewhat a little bit unique.

Hunger

• The hunger bar will have five states, all of which would affect your character performance. It works the same right now except everytime it reaches 100 will increase the state by 1 and decreases by 1 whenever it reaches 0.

• The five states, starting from 1 to 5, are: Malnourished, Slightly Malnourished, Normal, Slightly Overloaded, Overloaded. Hovering over the hunger bar will show what state the player would currently be in.

• The extreme states are either 1 or 5 which would give the player a status relative to their state. Malnourished would give “Anorexic” status which gives the player increased agility for being lightweight however would have less stamina regeneration. Overloaded would give “Obese” status which gives the player increased health and blocking power at the cost of being really slow along with stronger stamina usage.

• Going past the five states would start to give severe effects. When you reach 0 at Malnourished state, you’ll start to take damage overtime similar to what we have currently but your vision is now blurred. Going over 100 at Overloaded state would make you morbidly obese and cause a rare occurance (1%) of a single heart attack that deals high amounts of damage that leaves the player at least 5% of their health and cause them to ragdoll. Every 1,000 hunger past the 100 mark would increase the chance by 0.2%.

• There would be no physical changes to the player’s body. Severe states wuld have the number in the meter change color. For example, Malnourished at 0 would change it to flashing red and Overloaded above 100 would make the number glow the same color as the meter.

• Hunger now would be more flexible and possibly give a double edged effect in the player’s performance. Players are given more time before starting to die from hunger and the cap is no longer at 100 since at Overloaded state, you can still keep eating all you want but by doing so would risk a heart attack.

With this change, it gives the idea that the player is also a superhuman internally considering they would have a larger stomach ( Not literally ) to handle their food. This also allows players to either start dieting or binge eat.

no more nikocado meals?

You still can, just at the risk of heart attack. If anything, this makes it easier to go past 100 hunger cap but not giving it any catch is boring.

oh right i didnt read the

part

cool suggestion, but it’d make me busier with minor features

Not really, the “slight” states are buffers which means you actually have 3 hunger bars, giving you less need to eat. Currently, a single perfect bread (200+ hunger) would have 1.8 hours of not eating since every 30 sec a point is decreased. But with this suggestion, since you basically have 3 hunger bars, would give you ~5 hours of not eating.

The only state you need to watch out for are the extremes, being 1 and 5 which gives a double edge effect, and severe.

so my regen 4 shark buffets will debuff me as well as having a chance to damage me? and any food source that gives me a total of more than 100 saturation/hunger/whatever it’s called as well?
I prefer the current system

2 Likes

Aren’t eating them gonna give you 20% of the hunger? Considering it’s a buffet, it’s meant for groups so it makes sense for you to gain a debuff for overeating if you eat them whole alone.

I have a buffet that gives over 1k hunger per bite

wouldnt like this change considering foods in AO can give tons of hunger like more than 200 especially if you include sharks so any large seafood meal would make you “obese” i think this overcomplicates hunger tbh

heart attack in AO is crazy just imagine eating a regen meal when already full during a gank and then you take 1500!

it also gives too much to focus on

2 Likes

it should make them look like caseoh if their status is morbidly obese

LEGO Dark Stone Gray Brick 1 x 1 (3005) | Brick Owl - LEGO Marketplace

Cooking and Hunger are already the worst mechanics in the game simply due to how unnecessary yet prevalent they are and how easy it is to nullify it for a while, so now we’re adding buffs and nerfs that affect important stats based on it? I get the general idea, but we can already do this and more with armor.

Also, the argument of players just having to not eat 80% of buffets they cook is dumb; no, not everybody is playing with friends, and since you can’t move buffets after you eat some of it, you’re leaving some work behind it if you aren’t putting it on a ship or near a boss. Even then you can also easily make meals that restore over 100 Hunger in one use, so are those just made worthless to some who want a quick, nimble build?

Edit: oh I just realized I skimmed over the heart attacks. Please take this back to the kitchen, there’s a rat in my food.

1 Like

nikocado meal

Not another “immersion” feature :sob:

yeah but 1000 hunger still doesn’t make sense

here is what 1000 hunger is since you don’t understand it Nikocado Avocado | Know Your Meme

1 Like

TL:DR
direct nerf to cooking
indirect nerf to sailorfist users

useless feature :white_check_mark:
worsening something already good :white_check_mark:
can be seen as something weird (@Flare) :white_check_mark:

yep, this is trolling

1 Like

After this feature billions must brew

Why are your suggestions either decent or the worst the forums have ever seen?
This goes right alongside the sisyphus punishment suggestion.

How do I give a suggestion negative stars?

1 Like

This is way more complicated than it needs to be. Also bro, this ain’t Red Dead Redemption 2, idk why you’re adding a weight system or how you thought it’d be a good idea in this armor-focused game.

Is hunger a mid system? Yes, it definitely is—boring and occasionally irritating. But this would make it so that the player has to micro-manage it even more. Now not only do I have to make sure I don’t undereat, I also have to not go overboard? How are we supposed to do that in a game where food items can easily restore like 150+ hunger? You’re even encouraged to cook a 400 hunger meal for a quest. This just doesn’t fit the game at all.