I Bought Deepwoken, So here's what's gonna happen

how?
I’ve looked through every single mechanic in that game and a grand total of 2 things involve permadeath at all.
1: Attunements.
2: The Depths. (to a limited degree)

The depths can already be entered through whirlpools so dying is unnecessary and attunements could work literally exactly the same way without permadeath but it is a sort of “metaprogression”
Literally just manual file erasing and bam, all of the things that “”“”“rely”“”“” on permadeath don’t.

ok I read another line and what the fuck are you saying
Hell no, there’s no such thing as an “objectively good” game mechanic, that’s actually insane.
I was going to go into so much more detail on that last point but holy shit.

When I play fighting games or games with systems similar to deepwoken I’m not looking for risk, I’m not looking for a reward, I’m looking to have fun.

what’s changed, tell me, what has changed.
all I see is faster progression and that’s the most Band-Aid of a fix I’ve ever seen.

There’s your problem. This is a game with a permadeath feature that is asking for days of your time per run that also has PvP mechanics, meaning you could lose all of that progress at any time to absolute bullshit.

1 Like

I like permadeath, you don’t. its subjective or whatever. deal with it. the devs dont need to change their game to suit people that dont even play it.

5 Likes

ok im not getting into another quote war with you since the last one went nowhere so just answer me this:
If permadeath isn’t a good game mechanic, then what specifically makes it bad? And don’t say losing your character because i just explained why that is a healthy part of the game and you just straight up ignored me.

This is an open world RPG with PvP that requires days to progress a file to max without certainty of getting the equipment, cards, and whatever that you want.

If any part of that spelt out “compatible with permadeath” to you then you’re genuinely insane.

Oh no I like roguelikes, they’re fun, fast paced, and don’t take too long.
There’s no sense of loss when you die because every run, aside from being a learning experience since however you died was your fault, you’ve probably also gotten slightly stronger for your next run.
Deepwoken, as I just said, is an open world RPG, and in this context, adding permadeath is like smearing shit over a painting, it doesn’t matter how good or bad that painting looked before, there’s no way to tell because its covered in shit.

:moyai:
and there’s your problem. You are not the type of person who has fun while playing heavy permadeath games, both me and jupiter are trying to tell you this. You seem to enjoy putting in the work and expecting results, but deepwoken isn’t that type of game. The fun in deepwoken doesn’t come from maxing out a slot, it comes from progressing through that slot and seeing it to the end of its life, then moving on to the next one. The fun is in the journey, not the destination. Different people like different types of games and its ok to enjoy what you like, but that doesn’t make deepwoken a bad game.

4 Likes

no you misunderstand, my problem is that its permadeath in a pvp setting while also asking for days of my time.

If it didn’t feel like all of my progress could be taken away by something I couldn’t reasonably do anything about, it would be fine.
But it can, and so all that time doesn’t feel like I’ve learned anything, it just feels like a pointless waste.

Tell me, if a separate version of deepwoken was released with the only two changes being
1: No permadeath
2: Manual file erasure

How many people do you really think would continue to play the “original”

??? pretty sure it’s way faster to level now, wiping is hardly even a penalty, and you can recover your shit in like a single day or less

1 Like

tell them that, I’m going off what they said.

then i think you’ve been reading what you want to read because o swear i’ve seen them say this

they have

hardly a difference

damn really i thought it took more than a day i havent finished my layer two slot yet cus im metamancing the stats

ah maybe i heard wrong then

have you played neon knights yet you should try that out

DISCLAIMER!!!

Luck got removed in the new Verse 2 update!

Yes I have.
I will say that game doesn’t have enough of a penalty for dying though, since you only lose what you had from that region (usually very little lol), but its really a situation where too little is far better than too much.

update: fish already said it so disregard this, just know that you really just hav e to worry about staying alive when it comes to progging now

nah id say permadeath is fine in neon knights because unlike deepwoken, nk is hard as shit. If you arent making the most out of the forge and revive vouchers, then its pretty difficult to complete a full dive even on normal difficulty.

this is literally untrue btw.

In my last 10 hours since the release, I have met a single person that actively tried to gank me. And that’s with me:

• Farming in the depths
  • Sparring with random people
  • Sailing across the ocean
  • Exploring the world

that’s over hundreds of people btw.

OOF. Days 3, 4, and 5 may be rough for me then.

1 Like