Introducing Players to the Way They're Expected to Level

Introducing Players to the Way They're Expected to Level
effort 4.944444444444445 18 quality 5.0 18 reasonability 4.947368421052632 19

Explanation:

With the recent removal of repeatable quests, I’ve heard lots of talk about players being vastly under leveled for certain encounters and overall having a bad time while they’re completely confused on why their repeatable were deleted.

If I had to guess the infinitely repeating quests mindset probably stems from blox fruits and similar games drilling that system into people’s heads for days and weeks on end.
Redwake being the first real location of the game having access to none of these mechanics is probably not helping much either.

This, for numerous reasons, needs to be solved as quickly as possible.

I have a couple ideas in mind I believe will help newer players adapt to the unfamiliar systems in this game.

Firstly: Tutorial popups.
The second that the game detects that the player has a shovel they should be told to look out for treasure charts that may lead to modified treasure with improved stats from normal items.

Secondly: New quests to help introduce players to these mechanics in a rewarding way.
The two “treasure chart” quests ingame completely fail at this for a number of reasons.
(you don’t get a chart, the hints are extremely obvious and also not found in charts, the reward is practically nonexistent)

At frostmill, there should be a couple quests players are given in relation to diving, brewing, and treasure charts.
The player should be taught extremely early on how to obtain water breathing potions and revealing potions, even if both reagents for those are unobtainable at frostmill (a store maybe??)

The brewing quest should be the first step in a quest chain that leads the player to the diving quest.
(this could replace enizors quest line for something that makes more sense given that quest line was created before brewing was added)
The quest should require the player to sail back over to dawn island and obtain the necessary reagents to make a handful of revealing and breathing potions (this would only include gathering a small amount of seaweed and a couple growth sap from trees, clams would be provided by enizor)
The diving quest could involve a preset diving spot location that functions IDENTICALLY to normal diving spots inside of the frostmill cave where there’s that underwater section with the chests in that big room with the icicles, you know the one.

The player’s task is to open every chest in the diving spot and bring up two bronze sealed chests. (for quest purposes they contain whatever enizor needs in addition to normal lootpool)
Enizor takes note of drowned items and ship parts found while diving and explains how to reliably find more places like that around the world.

The treasure chart quest could come immediately before the brewing quest in the chain or immediately after the diving quest, in which enizor gifts the player a wooden shovel and a marking scroll, the marking scroll is important, players will NOT bother without it.
Enizor explains how to use the scroll and after applying it, talking to Enizor one more time gives a non-deleting frostmill treasure chart that’s randomized like any other but doesn’t go away on death.

Completing the treasure chart completes the quest.
Enizor takes note of frozen items the player brings back and explains that different sorts of modified equipment could come from different islands, and to try exploring more charts in the future and so on and so forth.

To summarize this section because I know its super long:
Step 1: Go gather seaweed and growth sap and here’s how to find them. (no sharks please)
Step 2: Make breathing and revealing potions.
Step 3: Find the diving spot within the Frostmill caves.
Step 4: Use the potions and collect the treasure below. (do not allow sharks to spawn)
Step 5: Bring treasure back, Enizor thanks player and explains how to find more diving spots.
Step 6: Here’s an enchantment to put on this here shovel that will make finding things underground easier.
Step 7: Apply the scroll and here’s how.
Step 8: Here’s a treasure chart for frostmill, find the location (randomized like any other and is not lost on death, contains normal rewards in addition to quest reward)
Step 9: Bring treasure back, Enizor explains treasure charts and modifiers.
Step 10: Enizor joins as a quartermaster.

Tl;Dr :

Players are used to blox fruits/GPO grind, they need to be readjusted to AO’s different approach at progression.
Rework Enizor questline to allow players to learn about brewing, diving, and chart hunting and emphasize their rewards over grinding generic quests.

Feedback is appreciated.

16 Likes

need dis

Good suggestion, I do think that things should be extremely spelled out for people because ultimately the majority of people joining are little kids who won’t necessarily intuitively check their inventory or glance at the tips. For some of my friends I’ve even had to guide them through features and teach them things because they either didnt notice they were told how in-game or weren’t told at all. I would add that they should be tied into the story maybe, so that everyone is basically forced to learn how to do things, side quests are missable.

Also I saw you in eclipse’s comments on YouTube earlier lol

4 Likes

when I see a reason to write a suggestion I write it right then on the spot lol.

watching videos in which people that typically aren’t part of AO talk about AO usually brings up problems that I don’t immediately think of and serves as a good basis to write things like this on.
Even if Eclipse does often times come off as an extremely negative person.

Nice QOL feature. There should be a part 2 to the treasure chart quest that utilizes that one dude in cirrus island, maybe a harder version of the quest that doesn’t allow the use of marking scrolls? that way we can have the 1st part of the quest showing the mechanic to the player then the 2nd part expanding on it and giving the player more knowledge. It could probably teach them how to decode the chart itself, like teaching them about elevation and distance and stuff

(There could probably be 2 parters for all the tutorial quests but the treasure chart one is the only thing I could think of)

Quality suggestion as usual.

This is great for getting people into treasure charts and brewing, unlike what we have already, and given my luck with the clam gathering part of the enzior quests, will probably not even take longer than the current one does.

that’s why I want enizor to have players gather reagents and just give them the clams because gathering clams is a massive pain in the ass because of the 20 billion other common catalysts that spawn on beaches.

:cook: :cook: :cook:

yes please we need this

I love everything about this idea except for this. Make it a chart to Gosco Jungle or literally any other early-game island. Frostmill is a PAIN to search for treasure in. It’s way too big for novices to treasure hunting, and many players may get frustrated trying to look for the location.

Come to think of it—with the chart being at Gosco, the player may also be introduced to Fighting Style mentors as well. Which will help introduce them to how fighting styles work and who can change them.

5 Likes

hands down, you have my vote. btw how long did it take for judges to accept your suggesting tryouts, nobody has seen mine since like 3 weeks ago

a couple hours.

Extremely good way to introduce players to some PVE mechanics in the story. Also a great rework to an admittedly boring and forgettable quest (Enizor is memorable, but his first quest is forgettable).

keep cooking

;-; mabye the judges arent judging anymore

the only thing they check is the application not the suggestions :skull:

if ur a mod reply to this to prove that you read replies!

lol but i sent the application like 3 weeks ago… mabye i’ll resend :expressionless:

then u declined lol (I think)

Hm, you mean I declined or got declined, also im confused cuz they were good applications and they didnt send anything saying otherwise…
my applications were a camp spawning rework and a new weapon type idea, I also have a collective 213 (and counting) slides of my ideas that im gonna splat on here someday…

so do I but most of them weren’t taken very well