Operation: Better wiki

Vetex is making Arcane into a book series.

mind citing that? (basic wiki stuff yknow)

Hereā€™s an idea

Iā€™m pretty sure miraheze can let you make a wiki private, maybe we work on it until full release, when we make it public?

Ads. Unearthly amount of ads. And also a massive profit-first cooperation (new term just dropped) that is incredibly out of touch with itā€™s users

And that doesnā€™t stop other wikis from forking fandom as well

Honestly I donā€™t understand how people are in 2024 without an adblocker. Thatā€™s out of our control, but itā€™s not a hard issue to solve. You can spend 10 seconds installing an extension like Ublock origin or spend 4 months switching to another site.

Why the fuck is there even an argument surrounding this? This project literally negatively impacts no one apart from the people working on the project who have to spend their own time on the project. Work on learning how to use Miraheze and work on the wiki at your own pace while the fandom wiki does whatever they do at their own pace. Seriously, why is anyone trying to convince anyone of anything???

5 Likes

you donā€™t get any ads when you make a fandom account. itā€™s rather genius since that helps incentivize users to edit the wikis.

To be honest, I got no idea why they care so much

I assume if they see a group of people so dedicated to doing this, they would want it in their wiki since people like having power. Although thatā€™s just a guess

one thing iā€™ve noticed sometimes is unsourced information for stuff not readily obvious in game

It negatively impacts the community because now thereā€™s two wikis with inevitably different standards and information. For the average user the raises the question: who to trust? Not to mention it makes BOTH wikis update slower because instead of a single unified force of editors, itā€™s two smaller divided editors.

Or to allow the company to collect data on you and sell that to advertisers

We already have the Forumers and Wikians hating each other thing, we donā€™t need wiki vs wiki combat.

1 Like

I should probably that the restrictions you can have for editing pages is
Only a couple of people can edit a page
Restrictions on the editing for this page donā€™t exist

Also, you have more tools to work with when making pages

The sources for the lore ones is the lore doc, and in-game hints for the whirlpool information. I agree it should be cited and referenced though.

Precisely. All this does is divide the community further.

We know that, but the general lack of sources makes it easy to confuse a unsourced fact with speculation

Thatā€™s not at all the case. The issue is practicality. Itā€™s impractical to have two wikis both competing.

The platform has a bunch of ads and thereā€™s a bunch of misinformation. Especially regarding future content or things that are just speculation.

Those are my issues with it Iā€™m sure others have more extreme problems with it.

I donā€™t have it right now but you can ask the other lore heads on the forums.

Rb1 got involved and now Iā€™m doing pr since Iā€™m the head lol. thatā€™s also what Iā€™m trying to figure out as well.

Counterpoint: Competition is good, weā€™re only going through if the Fandom wiki still has a bunch of problems (Which it has a lot of which is out of its control which strengthens our cause)

Iā€™ve actually been telling a tiny lie. Iā€™m not at ALL compelled to edit the wiki right now. Iā€™m definitely not feeling more motivated with the threat of being replaced.