Palate Cleansers: Status Effect Clearers

Palate Cleansers: Status Effect Clearers
effort 5.0 9 quality 5.0 9 reasonability 4.9 10

This idea is pretty simple, it adds a new cooking ingredient/food item status effect. ‘Palate Cleanser’, which have one, simple idea behind them:

Eating a Cleanser clears status effects on your character

The idea behind this is twofold- one, you can clear negative potion effects, and two you can ‘reset’ for the next meal. Most people know this, but you can’t stack meal effects. If you eat a recovery two meal, then an invigorating four meal, you will not get both status effects, only the effect of the one you ate first. I find this to be a thematically appropriate way to let players juggle between effects- if they need to.

Of course, we can’t avoid the elephant in the room, which comes down to potion effects. These shouldn’t completely invalidate using potions in combat, but they should also provide options to people who may not be as hyper-prepared as their opponents.

Tiers

Tier 1 - Clears your food-based status effects and one potion status effect

Tier 2 - Clears food based status effects and all potion effects

Tiers 3 and up would clear status effects, and also give an effect that prevents effects from being placed on you for a short duration.

Obviously, this needs to have some sort of cooldown like healing, it would be more harm then help if it was spammable, but it should help lessen the gap between someone with thirty hours of potion farming and someone who hasn’t touched them yet.

Another idea possible drawback: You cannot palate cleanse twice in a row, you have to eat a meal between each use (After all, in the real world they are used to basically ‘scrub’ a taste from your mouth.) So unless you think you can juggle a full course meal mid-combat, these won’t put potions down all that much.

Food Items

Onto the foods, there are two I have in mind:

Parsley, which spawns on islands as a basic tier 1 herb. Eaten on its own, it functions as a Palate Cleanser, when used as an herb it gives a boost to fish based status effects.

GInger, which is somewhat rarer is a tier 2 herb. On its own, its a basic herb, but when cooked alone, it becomes Pickled Ginger which is a tier 2 Palette Cleanser.

Higher tiers would be exclusive to the Dark Sea & Sun Caraway Cooking.

I’ll be honest, this could be considered a bandaid fix for some of the more overtly overpowered potion options, but the alternative is a massive rework to potions and that could dampen how fun they are to use.

As always, I look forward to feedback so the idea can be tweaked to perfection.

8 Likes

yes.

2 Likes

Sounds cool

1 Like

I really like this suggestion.

1 Like

simple yet elegant

1 Like

I like this. Also it adds more to food which looks kind of lacking when compared to potions.

3 Likes

A genuinely good, unique, and creative suggestion. I’m tired of having to wait out potion/food effects. I hope Vetex sees this.

1 Like

Hell yeah.

This is almost NECESSARY with how potions are currently. Good suggestion :+1:

I must humbly request that such a delicacy must urgently be made available to the commoners. I must humbly request that my palate be cleansed.

I thought up some foods that could be used as Palette Cleansers:

• Peppermint: Spawns on some islands as an uncommon herb that can be used to boost fruit-based dishes, like Vanilla Herbs. On its own, it functions as a tier 1 Palette Cleanser.
  • Sorbet: A dish that is made by cooking Ice, another new ingredient, with specific fruit items, such as Lemons, Limes, Apples, Oranges, etc. This would be used as a tier 2 Palette Cleanser. Ice would be obtained by destroying icebergs and ice outcrops.
  • Water: Take a Bottle and use it on a source of freshwater, such as ponds, lakes, rivers, and even fountains. Drinking it would have the effects of a tier 1 Palette Cleanser. Implementing this probably isn’t a good idea.

Some existing foods in the game could also become Palette Cleansers, like regular Bread and specific fruits.

Yeah all of that works, but I’d like to stick to herbs (at least for now) just to test the waters as it were with the idea. I’m very happy to see it’s well received though!

1 Like

This would definitely be cool to see come into play, especially as a way to counter annoying statuses that players can inflict on you.

Though, I feel like pickled ginger and sun caraways would be the most (and only) worthwhile one due to how easy statuses are to reapply. You use a cleanser to get rid of love? They have a love gel, too bad.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.