Put your spiciest PVP opinions here

We got 0 clues on the future, so thats about all we can scavenge. Plus, it seems like the 2 awakening thing is preeeeety certain

Heavy magics and fighting styles in general have the same playstyle, but fighting styles just do it better.

3 Likes

The reputation system in AA was superior.

2 Likes

shot should be deleted from the game

1 Like

as a high ping player myself i gotta say
parrying and pblocking only really works in a game if the combat is built with it in mind
as a dodge dash and hope to fucking god you donā€™t get hit game like AO itā€™s kinda meaningless
ig blocking is ok but it slows you down and you still do take a large chunk of damage

2 Likes

Boat combat PVP is boring.

2 Likes

Agreeable. Especially when boat PvE is pretty annoying too.

I fucking hate parrying.

I hate it so much.

like blocking is fine but parrying is just so pointless and broken that it makes me ill

3 Likes

Its nice to know that some people do agree with my hot takes

I just think parrying is so abusable because even though itā€™s rare and probably unlikely, there could be people who are so stupidly good at the game that they can parry EVERYTHING.

3 Likes

I agree, I donā€™t think parrying really works in a game like this.
When I think about multiplayer games that let me ā€œparryā€ attacks in PvP, Iā€™m usually expecting much more grounded combat, typically melee focused.

Not exactly something suited for hopping around at mach 3 shooting wide area projectiles and explosions everywhere.

1 Like

Most people just hold G after their attacks, and 75% of the time they parry (I would know I do it too >:)

I forget that blocking is even an option because when I press F nothing happens!!!
(why is blocking on G I am never going to press that fuck that Iā€™m not ruining my muscle memory for every game that isnā€™t AO)

1 Like

not being able to change the block key is probably one of the shittiest design choices in the entire of AO

As bad as deckhandā€™s renown system design?

second worst design choice in the game

Lmao

Thatā€™s me too.
Other times I just go with my gut.

NPCs being able to block was the true worst design choice honestly.
They just randomly decide to do it, which drags our battles for a much longer time because your big move was parried at exactly the wrong time and now you lost. Argos and Carina are good examples of this.

3 Likes

actually I did some testing and it seems that carina has like a pattern in which she blocks/parries

but yeah other NPCS randomly parrying is very annoying.

PvP will never be perfectly balanced. The game can always move closer to it, but itā€™ll simply never happen in a world with such massive scope. At the same time, as we move further on in AOā€™s lifespan, every single build will differentiate itself from one another in at least some way, shape or form. Options will grow more and more enticing and abundant as the level cap continues to raise and content continues to be added. The meta will be far less all-encompassing, and build variety will be pretty massive; both for the better, and for the worse.

Itā€™s easy to balance meta. Thatā€™s what the balance team does. We may not always get it right the first time (cough endlag changes cough), but we have clear areas of focus we do our best to address. In the future, however, Iā€™m pretty convinced that the best weā€™ll really be able to do is reel in outliers.

With dozens of Lost and Ancient Magics, Fighting Style evolutions, an amount of Rare, Lost, and Ancient Spells and Techniques that Iā€™m not even going to wager a guess on, Artisan Weapons, Legendary Weapons, Spirit Weapons, Arcanium Weapons, new Awakenings, new potions, stat scaling, new Jewelcrafting effects, a massive amount of new Weapons skills, new Colossal weapons, new mechanics such as double-imbuement with Savantā€™s second Awakening, and so much more on its way, I feel like there will eventually come a point where having a Balance Team has pretty much run its course, as thereā€™s just too much to humanly keep up with.

5 Likes