The Five Worlds Chapter 8 part 1: The Forest Guardian

Stories: The Five Worlds Information

Emily was suddenly very aware something was wrong. Raven stepped forward seemingly to confront the commander who had just hurled a blast of fire at him, when a bright white orb appeared around him. The orb disappeared as soon as it came and so did Raven. The dark forest around Emily suddenly seemed much bigger and scarier.

Emily run, Iggie projected towards Emily. Without a second thought Emily turned around and ran. The commander worked for the duke fully and would be coming after her next. Bolting through the forest like a startled hare, Emily quickly lost sight of the camp. There were dead logs and sticks everywhere. It was not quiet while she ran. Iggie flew beside offering directions around and over logs and trees. Even so their escape was futile.

The sound of hoofbeats following behind made Emily run all the faster, Iggie had no trouble keeping up. The forest was dark and Emily stumbled occasionally losing time she didn’t. Emily while running wasn’t paying attention to the ground and her only hint of warning was from Iggie, Watch out! It was too late and she slipped on the mud falling straight down into it, ruining her already dirty clothing. The beat of hoofs was gaining quickly and Emily thought the whole forest was quiet in anticipation.

Emily got up and was beginning to sprint when she stepped on a concealed net. Iggie was next to her when this happened so both of the fugitives were flung high into the sky. The air was knocked out of Emily’s lungs. Iggie was dazed from the impact and just layed on top of Emily in the net for a little bit. The guards went galloping by beneath the two of them without looking up. The guards hadn’t set up the vine net, and they never thought to check the trees for a teenage girl and an amphithere.

“So Iggie, how high up are we?” Emily asked when the guards were long gone.

High enough that if you land wrong you’ll break a leg, answered Iggie

“So I guess we’re gonna sit in this tree until whoever set up this trap comes and frees us?” Emily exasperated. Emily felt cold, the mud she fell in certainly didn’t help.

I guess you will. I’m going to see if there is anything I can do to get you down,

“Please don’t go, the forest is dark,” Emily pleaded while looking out of the net at the woods, an owl’s hoot broke the silence, “And Spooky,”

I’ll stay with you then. Hopefully whoever set up this net will be here soon, Iggie communicated calmly.

Even in the cold mud and wet net Emily managed to fall asleep. The next morning began and Emily was just as cold. Birds were singing and sunlight filtered through the canopy. It would’ve been beautiful if it weren’t for the fact that Emily was hanging in a net. Iggie was flying around the clearing, the birds and other animals ignored the amphithere. The star inched across the sky slowly and Emily dried off. Her clothing was still caked with dry mud.

Around midday Emily heard a large creature approaching right before Iggie entered her mind. A forest dragon is approaching. Iggie flew back up to Emily and waited with her.

“Do you think the dragon set up this vine net?” questioned Emily while scanning the ground for the creature.

I don’t know, there is a lot I still must learn. answered Iggie

“Can you communicate with it?” asked Emily right as the dragon entered the clearing. The green dragon was tetrapodal with two large leafy green wings set on its light green back, along with two long elegant horns curved back away from its head and an elegant snout. Even from above it seemed like royalty, it demanded your respect.

The dragon’s piercing green eyes looked upwards straight into Emily’s. A shiver went down her spine. The dragon dug its claws into the ground, shortly after vines began emerging from the ground and snaking up towards the net. By this point Emily was scared. She had read once that some dragons ate people, she definitely didn’t want to be eaten. I communicated with her. Iggie told Emily. She says her name is Naja Iguana. She wants answers.

The vines reached the net and Iggie burned off the vines supporting the vine net. Emily felt herself fall before the vnes supported her and brought her safely back to the Ellipse. Emily stood up from the vine net’s remains and turned to look at Naja. Naja was laying down now, even so Emily was still half as tall as the dragon.Her piercing gaze looked like it could see all of Emily and her thoughts. Iggie came to rest on Emily’s head and made a telepathic bridge between Emily’s and Naja’s minds.

Why were you running from those soldiers last night? Don’t think I didn’t notice. Naja demanded.

“Umm, they wanted to bring Iggie to the duke,” Emily sheepishly answered, while motioning toward Iggie.

Second question. Who killed the Great Lizard? I know for a fact none of those knights had the magic capability. demanded Naja.

“A soldier who went by ‘The Dragon Warrior’,” Emily answered. Naja looked at Emily, Emily looked at Naja, and Iggie sat on Emily’s head.

I would expect he was the one who did it. That human needs to be taught discipline, Naja projected. A sigh seemed to escape her.

“You know him?” Emily inquired.

I met him a few hundred years ago. Haven’t seen him since, responded Naja.

“A few hundred years? How can a human be that old?” Emily gasped.

Ask him yourself. You seem like someone he likes enough to hang out with, replied Zaja

“I saw him vanish in a ball of light. Probably disintegrated,” Emily sadly sighed.

He’s not dead. Probably was teleported elsewhere by something else. Zaja answered without doubt in her mind. It is impossible to lie while telepathically communicating.

“What! How can we reach him? We need his help getting to the capital,” Emily frantically spoke.

I can teleport you to something I remember him wearing. stated Zaja.

“Thank you. Thank you,” Emily said while bowing, doing so made Iggie fall off and frantically beat his wings.

If I recall it was a blue and black teardrop necklace. stated Naja.

4 Likes