The legend of a Sun Sword

This story is written for this, (HOPEFULLY) MONTHLY WRITING PROMPTS - May Edition! thanks @BNTarwarn for the Idea.

“It is said that a sword cannot be evil, only used for evil purposes. But this is not always true. There are, legend has it, dark weapons with strange histories. Write a story about a weapon that seems to be more than just a piece of steel.”

◤━━━━━━━━ ☆. :star_and_crescent: .☆ ━━━━━━━━◥

Some say that a sword cannot be evil, it is only used for evil purposes. But what if it’s not true? What if…The sword was forged to be evil, that sword was created for only the purpose of killing and bringing chaos? And sure enough, history knows one sword created to be evil - Ílios.

Tyrfing was forged in times, when islands were forming a large continent, by slave deeply under castle of king named Svafrlami. He was a tyrant of his own people, a person, who was keeping in fear all nearby kingdoms, a person, who despite being more powerful than nearly all existing people back then, were still wanting more. And so, during one of the war raids on nearby kingdoms, Svafrlami managed to enslave a royal blacksmith, who was rumored to be able to create weapons that are similar in strength to god’s gifts.

Svafrlami putted him deeply under his castle and said:
“I shall not take your life in one condition - forge for me a sword, like no other. Forge for me a sword, stronger than any sword ever existed, and stronger than any sword that will exist. If you would agree, I shall keep you alive and allow you to become my personal, royal blacksmith.”

At first, the old blacksmith did not want to do that. He knew what Svafrlami would do with the power of such a sword, but after some time and some thinking he agreed.

“Well, your majesty, I agree…But to create a weapon of such power, I need you to help me - use your fire, so that I can heat up the metal better and quicker…”

Without any thought, Svafrlami agreed, and so the old blacksmith started forging…King’s fire lasted for day, two, four, a week. It was truly the hottest fire that a blacksmith has witnessed. And so, the blacksmith started forging a sword with a golden hilt that would never miss a stroke, would never rust and would cut through stone and iron as easily as through clothes.

After 3 weeks of forging, the blacksmith finally made the sword…It shone and gleamed like fire. However, in secret, the blacksmith cursed it so that it would kill a man every time it was drawn and that it would be the cause of three great evils. He finally cursed it so that it would also kill Svafrlami himself. Blacksmith gave the sword to a king…

“Here it is, your majesty…” He said, handing the sword to Svafrlami.

“Very well…” King said, taking a sword in his right hand. And as he lifted it, he shivered a bit…Svafrlami felt the power echoing from the sword right through his body.

“Ahh…Great work my slave, you did well but…” Svafrlami started.

“But?” Old blacksmith asked.

“Shall we have a test?’ Svafrlami asked, and at the same time made a quick slash in the direction of an old blacksmith. And after 2 seconds, a wound on the body of the blacksmith appeared, blood started flowing, and he fell on the floor.

Svafrlami started laughing. The sword was even better than he expected, yet, the old blacksmith was one step ahead from him…As Svafrlami was about to put his sword back scabbard, the flames sparked from the metal of a sword and quickly filled the room. King felt his skin slowly yet painfully burning in a flames that were coming from the sword, he tried to use his magic to somehow clash with fire, but as he casted a spell fire started burning stronger and stronger…At one point, it became so strong that walls of underground location started turning into molten rocks and making ground collapse into castle basement burying King, the old blacksmith and sword deeply in ground.

And so, from those times all the way to ours, the sword of Ílios still remains buried in deeply ground, and shall it remain like this for eternity, because if someone would found it, the rage and a power of king Svafrlami mixed together would burn everything and everyone…

◥━━━━━━━━ ☆. :star_and_crescent: .☆ ━━━━━━━━◤

Roses are red, Violets are blue, My english is bad, So shut are you…
Wrote it in…40 minutes, and rewrote 2 times…Nice! (Btw, sword’s and King’s names are’nt random one * wink * )

2 Likes

so is a moon sword for good guys?