Thoughts on casual players?

as soon as thermo fist gets nerfed, I guarantee that the metamancers are just going to find the next path of least resistance when it comes to kills. There needs to just be some time where Vetex releases a balance patch every few days after taking feedback from how things are happening with the current meta.

hold on, that reminds me

was your bounty being visible on a board part of the stuff that gets turned off while in the dark sea, the way sending/receiving messages and serverwide chat messages are?

A meta will always exist, balance patches are necessary but every few days is just dumb and overdoing it

a game health update would be great

I don’t think so, iirc it just says “Dark Sea” and nothing else

every few days for a month will help to help get rid of the problems that come up

But what dictates when it should end? What if something broken appears after the first month then we need another, and then another, and then a new update comes and we need more

I checked, yeah you’re right

also honestly this might be an unpopular opinion but magics are set up in a way that makes it to where you have to kind of pick which ones work together based on what synergies they have and all that shit which is FINE but like its a LITTLE restricting in terms of what players might actually want to combine and imo i think it encourages a bit of the metamancing thats in ao.

i think as it stands, the synergies are fine-ish. There should be less negative synergies, but that’s about it. The problem is when one or two are very dominant. I.E., current Thermo Fist

Vetex did make it so you don’t get penalized for picking negative synergies by not applying the debuff If it just comes from you, but no one really does that

A little more than just encouragement, it’s the entire point of synergies.

I don’t think there’s a solution though because the more you take the more magics become just the same

I feel like being able to change magic will help both extreme sides greatly.

The metamancers will be able to switch their magic to match their needs and the people who want to pick what they think is fun will feel more inclined to because they won’t feel nearly as tied down as they are now.

me when I accidentally picked the meta because it was cool:

(thermo warlock at the time)

My first file was planned to be a Magma Ash Mage on release…

Lists of ways of handling Pvp

I hope you didn’t think i forgot to post the list when the Thread got closed. It may have opened sooner than expected but i still haven’t forgotten.

1. Fight Back
    a. Do it to the best of your ability if u so wish
    b. If you’re forced into it, might as well try to get a good fight in… right…?
    c. If you’re forced into it given your preparedness at least you can be the most unfun annoying thing to fight against ever.

2. Reset
    a. If all is lost anyways… Might as well just starve them of any semblance of fighting at least right…? Half felt directly served victories are always something that feel good i hear~

3. Serverhop
    a. As annoying and likely infuriatingly it can be, this can be used as a last resort if you can see the person coming up to attack you. By harnessing the RL, DW or Both logging skills (Assuming you played them and if not good) you too can utilize this skill.

4. Running away.
    a1. I bet you’re glad to see this option somewhat be back now that the weird wacky dashing exhaustion thing we saw is gone now huh?
    a2. If u have high enough Agility, especially if you have agility potions and the like then running away just might be the way for you~

5. Don’t have more than 100k+ Renown
    a. High renown = A Legal Non-existent Contract was signed that you withhold the rights to complain about Renown loss and SOME of Pvp Encounters. No Renown refunds
    This includes you at ur now newfound 490k to 460k renown last i saw you.

b. You can quickly serverhop/hunt the desired Deckhands available and then reset your Renown. Or if you’re into a little risk and slightly gurantees you can hunt for the oh so precious 200k renown requirement Legendary Deck Hands, and then immediately reset ur Renown.

(Do note that having Renown well below this or not is not enough to gurantee no Pvp situations.)

1. Island Hopping.
    a. I know too well of this experience personally awhile ago before the Brewing Update. Hopping around Islands when being chased and then logging if ur able to do all of it is likely to make the person either give up or be frustrated at being unable to catch up/find you.

2. Potions.
    a. Love Gels are likely to end any pvp situation right there. If they are of the Sweating Variety that have some of their own then simply carry 10-20x more than the amount of love potions they have.
    b. Ironskin Gels are also a nice option to help stop a fight as they are now likely so slow that they almost don’t have the hopes of catching up to you if you combine #4~
    c. Slowness Gels (I see you’ve read the new Balance Doc additions that are now hopefully applying for v1.14 haven’t you.) Much like Ironskin it’ll have the same efffect and it’ll be more funny if you stack them w/ it too.

Thats all i can think of atm… Lemme know some other things you wish add/give input to.

Also i look away for roughly 10 minutes and you guys have already devolved into getting the Thread locked for the night

Crap i spoke too soon.

Atleast biweekly balancing

1 Like

yeah, but what is FUN for players shouldnt be any less good for pvp than whats meta, like players shouldnt really feel the NEED to switch magics j bc it isnt meta, which is obv difficult cuz making a perfectly balanced system is by no means a simple task.

youre right tho if players were able to change their magic then players who were discouraged from others about their build not being ‘good enough’ then theyd be more inclined to stay since they could do more research into what IS meta and easily switch if what they really wanted was to become good at pvp.

but i still think players should simply be able to pick what they think is genuinely cool and still be good at pvp cuz thatd make them feel more validated, badass, and they might enjoy their time more.

2 Likes

getting 200k renown for legendary deckhands doesn’t work, since deckhands level up based on your renown too. 10k renown levels up a legendary deckhand once (and you can’t lose it or else you have to get back to where you were before it keeps going up), which is sometimes required to make them stronger (looking at speed deckhands especially)

Anyways, stuff being moved aside i personally do not see the issue w/ Casual players existing and hope that things get better to the point where i don’t have to get jumped by some random 490k+ (Now 460k+ cause i killed them twice miraculously on crappy underinvested gear.) on the Conjurer file i decided to randomly play for the heck of it.

I sort of classify as a Casual player since i don’t Pvp practically at all but the grind i have since the start of Wom would lead you, myself and others to think otherwise…

Paired w/ 28 files. Sort of blurs the line i stand on doesn’t it…