Turbulent Waters: Chapter 1

This is a continuation of my previous story post in introductions:

Chapter Controls

Previous chapter Behind the scenes Next chapter

“The weather never changes around this place huh?” Kristen whispers to herself as her sailboat lurches to a stop at the frozen docks of Frostmill.

“I’m home.” She nods to the dockmaster as she begins to tie up her boat haphazardly. He returns the nod, though puzzled at the terrible job she was doing with ropes. Frustrated, she throws the rest of the rope onto the dock, praying to Poseidon to leave her boat untouched. She didn’t have time for that. Afterall, her coat was riddled with numerous burns and cuts, relics from her fights with the assassin syndicate. They were sneaky ones, hiding behind cloaks and hoods. Sometimes even disguising themselves as innocent civilians just to stab their targets in the back. I’ve seen it happen too many times to count.

But Frostmill was safe, the assassins rarely travelled this far to do their missions. It was all just snow and ice out here. They would have nothing to hunt here. Except for that day 3 years ago… That accursed day. Why did they come just to destroy our village…?! Just to kill mom, dad-! Kristen heaved a sigh. It was not good to get caught up in the bad memories. Especially when both her mind and body were already exhausted.

Still she had to climb, she snuck passed the town, pass the alchemist’s tower to the snow cliffs. Not many people knew how to traverse these cliffs without the use of magic. But Kristen moved swiftly like the evening gust through them. Even after 3 years, her movement through the snow was unmatched. Not that she had anyone to compare with though.

Her refuge was based in the ruins of the burned village. She never wanted to run from home, but the assassins! “The damned assassins!” “I’ve been hunting and hunting them but not one of them knows anything about the Frostmill village attack!” She screamed in her heart. “JUST LET ME FIND SOMETHING!”…

As she approached the wreckage she called home, she noticed a presence in house. Odd. No one comes up here other than bandits and me. A quick peek over the wall and she catches a glance of a hooded figure. Two weapons he had. A cutlass for sure and something else, but no one with a cutlass and hood has good business in this village… Which means: it’s an assassin. Pulling her musket from her sling, Kristen takes aim, the muzzle swings from her hip to her eye, a slight breath in, then exhale. Right on target. BANG. Before the shot even hit, Kristen ducks to begin reloading her next. This was a habit she had formed from her numerous hunts of assassins. Never did know how many there were after all.

“If we’re lucky, he’d be down with that shot.”

Looking up from the pile of snow I ducked behind, a pair of emerald green eyes glared back. Charging towards me. “Shit.” I mumbled. This was going to be a rough one. If he could dodge that bullet, who knows what else he can do. Specially after today’s hunt too…

Anyways, this is my rival, Winters. He’s a warrior that uses a cutlass and a dagger. I’ll try to make him a recuring character in the series just like he is in game. :]

Thanks again for reading! Side note, should I start a progress thread in #off-topic for behind the scenes and WIPs? Would you guys like to see that?

2 Likes

Awesome!!