Vetex's Rant (PVP & BALACING)

I always had a hunch that PvP was basically shoehorned in because it needed it and I’m glad that I was finally proven correct. This game’s combat system was always fundamentally flawed simply because it just wasn’t meant for PvP, this is why we always need balance patches for the most minuscule things ever (BTW I still use Thermo fist so yeah).

Although I don’t know why Vetex decided to add PvP centric clans, Bounty Hunting, and no way to opt out of PvP when he feels so strongly about. It feels like the part of the community that he so despises was a product of his own game design. An explanation I can see for this is that recent events caused his opinions to change very rapidly. But regardless from how any of us feel, as long as PvP, bounty hunting, Clans, etc exists there will be people who play solely for that reason

(off-topic but me and my sister gank people, low levels, clan members, etc whenever we play and she’s really petty about it, I think she might be a bad person too. We had a cousin who’s grandmother passed away in front of him in her sleep; and she basically starting violently smoking her pack, to the point where he started crying. She said all of this to like an 8 year old btw)

I said this a while ago but I remember linking to a Josh Strife Hayes video about forced PvP and it feels so satisfying knowing that what he said about MMO’s also applied to Roblox.

(To be fair though I think most Roblox devs lack the game development insight that various professionals do so this is what I expected to happen. Basically a snowball effect.)

Assuming that something meaningful comes out of this, I hope that better systems come from this, AND ONE’S BASED OFF OF ACTUAL GAME DESIGN PHILOSOPHY’S INSTEAD THIS TIME. But then again Vetex wants to be a writer so we can’t expect God nor Satan to do all the work.

i think vetex hit the nail on the head as to why a pvp toggle would be a bad idea. yeah ofc vetex aswell as the majority of the community despise the pvptards, but they are actually a big part of what keeps the game alive. we also need to consider the fact that vetex does this as a job, and serves as his main source of income, so no matter how much it sucks he does need to keep the game alive to actually make money

vetex is supposedly gonna add bigger punishments for attacking low levels btw just as a warning

I mean why add the ability to kill Low Levels if you’re gonna punish people for it? This is the kind of stuff I mean when I say that his Game Design enables the toxic community and people like my sister to just do as they please. It would be better if he just raised the PvP level instead, I think that would solve a lot more problems.

2 Likes

i for one think that the punishment for farming low levels should be a ban just to weed out the toxic kids who love to power trip

VETEX W
fuck pvpers, rise my pve bretheren…

2 Likes

I mean yeah, but why do that when you can just make it so that you can’t attack low levels. That way you can ensure their safety and nobody has to get banned, as I said before it makes no sense to make Low Levels killable by Max Levels if you want to dissuade people from going after them. Alt accounts exist for a reason after all.

tbh i agree, it would be better if you could only attack people within a 25 level range of you or something like that, instead of level 140s being able to attack level 50s lol

your sister is a menace dawg

Yeah there 100% has to be some way to monitor fully fledged builds with awakenings from being able to beat the shit out of the lvl 60 who just finished fighting elius

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what 15 year old angst looks like. I assume everyone on AO is like my sister so I learned to accept taking nonsense from children online, such is the way everyone else should do too.

honestly one thing I don’t understand about my own personal experience
When I was extremely active in Arcane Reborn, I was actually in a top clan and I was good at PvP and I enjoyed PvP. Albeit I still hated the stupid movement tech that allowed people to do stuff like casting spells with lightning specifically(??) while moving because that was clearly unintentional.
Now I didn’t go around jumping everyone I saw for a bit of bonus infamy and usually just talked to people while watching fights happen.

Anybody that knows me from here knows that is absolutely not my experience with AO combat.

At their core, they’re the same, but clearly drastically different and I just can’t place any exact reason I don’t like it.

When I’ve said it, I’ll be completely honest, I have no solution.
I sure wish I did but I don’t.

All I know is that, as it currently stands, the PvP in this game just doesn’t feel good.

I’ma be real with you, this isn’t and never has been an excuse in AO.
1: PvP grants the attacker literally no benefit (no, leaderboard points don’t count, they do nothing)
2: The attacker is never actively forced to do so.
3: If the system is made to be used by and reward massive assholes and you use it and are rewarded by it, guess what.

That statement should only be used when a game actively forces the player to do actions that lead to people being hated.

I agree with you on the PvP not doing anything but only for renown focused hunting
Hunting for infamy does actually have benefit, it lets me store more galleons and is much more efficient than opening sealed chests

2 Likes

Now I think about if AO really isn’t the game for me…

From what I’ve gathered from you, you seem to be the type that fight players in game simply to fight because fighting is fun.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Public Elysium would solve alot of those problems because everybody that goes there actively wants to fight lol.

Yeah, I really only bounty hunt when players actually have a lot of player kills so I can challenge myself, fighting pvers isn’t even entertaining

1 Like

nah, id doxx

Yeah it’s weird when Vetex says all this about PvP but decides to make Elysium access cost money, there are many things Vetex does that contradict each other and it’s extremely weird.

3 Likes