All in the same boat - the funny crew suggestor people ( maybe its considered a podcast, idfk )

@jaez @Plload

hey you guys wanna discuss crew suggestions

context
my post : Regarding Deckhands : Rewritten
jaez’ post : Expanded Crew Features
plload’s post : Crew Combat and Mechanics

Dunno when this is going live, but first thing we should be talking about is all the things regarding docking

we should probably make a distinction between being actively away from your ship and passively away from your ship

maybe in regards to how far you are from the ship?

should active refer to how the crew is either actively doing something or passively doing something
or should active refer to how the player is actively away from the ship or passively away from the ship

but one thing is for sure, if the crew is more than stationary/despawned when the player is far away from the ship, it’ll probably accidentally be categorized as “dynamic npcs”

so for certain mechanics it would only be available when the crew is within range, and for others it would be both available inside and outside of range.

as for mechanics that only apply to outside of range, probably anything that is immersion breaking… but nobody suggested anything that really has anything immersion breaking ( going into detail on despawns and stuff ) except potentially me with the crew leaving your ship and going to the tavern ( which most likely just means they’ll despawn and spawn in the tavern )

a workaround to that could be that if you’re still within range and the time limit to go to the tavern is reached they could jump off the boat and run to the nearest tavern ( with them entering it resulting in an immediate despawn and then spawning in the tavern ) , but if you’re outside of range they’ll just despawn like usual and spawn there.

ofc when you’re back they’ll leave the tavern by despawning their versions inside the tavern and spawning ones outside or just inside enough to still keep up the illusion

( and with “when you’re back” i mean when you’re back at the ship or ask them to get back on the ship )

then they’ll just run back onto the ship and despawn and immediately spawn the versions that they’d have while being on the ship

and maybe cargo loading/unloading requires you to stay within range as both potential balance and a way to avoid accidentally being labeled as dynamic npc

but thats my part of the discussion regarding active/passive range

dunno what you guys have to say

@Plload

i know you’re online get over here

how about reviewing my anti magic faction suggestion?

1 Like

well i was talking about the cargo unloading and loading suggestion as part of the crew combat and mechanics

if you’re too far from the ship, it shouldn’t be able to do that as that can potentially be categorized as dynamic npcs

speaking of, it’s always interesting to see how suggestions would interlink with eachother

imo

just place a region around a players ship when its docked
if the region overlaps with an area then its “within” that area and the crew can interact w/ stuff within that area

for instance if u dock at the poor side of ravenna crew can only interact w/ whatever is in that area (no taverns, slow morale boost, or can even passively get fame by helping around, a villainous captain crew might plunder the area, with certain bounty thresholds for each area)
while docking at sailors gets them access to a tavern which would regen morale quickly

once the crew is out, you have to take control of the ship again and the crew tps(? there isnt really a good way to implement this w/o dynamic npcs) and can tell other crew members to hurry up or something

eh for convenience taverns shouldn’t be that far from the dock
so if you get on your ship they head out from the tavern and hop on your ship

also ship bell

damn ur quick lol
mfw pathfinding gets a crew member stuck on the wall
having a crew that runs back to the ship would be cool af but idk how hard itll be to implement
also ship bell cool af

pretty sure the reason pathfinding is fucked with villain npcs is because they keep

BLASTING THE FUCKING WALL

also kai can’t go around walls.

but the second he can and there’s fixes for the ai

y e s, pathfinding AT LAST

iirc a lot of npc behaviors were simplified from wom for performance issues (im assuming enemies had much more complex pathfinding i cant rlly remember that well but i do remember cheesing minotaur and exiled so maybe not)

also when within proximity and after 10 mins without having your crew do anything else ( while also within proximity of a tavern ) should have them all rush off the ship at once to the tavern

instead of like just a despawn

yeah docking system would be kinda weird to implement
imo just add a way to purchase (non alcoholic) drinks for ur crew and if u do they chill at the tavern till u get back on ur ship

another thing to keep track of

like the only reason to get these drinks would be if morale directly impacted the performance of your crew rather than just the mood of them ( i’m avoiding talking about it in gameplay function for that reason )

maybe if both our suggestions gets implemented morale should effect passive functions
collecting items from islands and fishing would be slowed down, as well as anything else passive the crew can do
keeping track of crew morale so u dont get debuffed would be pretty annoying, at least this provides an incentive to keep ur crew happy for passive resources

because if you’re referring to “buying” you’re referring to it as like an item you can get and use

which means it’d have a direct impact on gameplay, as having to charge the player for a feature implies there’s a reason for it

and surely its not just an aesthetic or cosmetic thing to make your crew look like they’re
suffering if you’re actively getting things that cost currency

ah so morale affects passive stuff but not stuff at sea

so its like an investment you make for your crew to do things passively more
effectively?

yeah, passive gathering efficiency would be based off crew morale (as an incentive to keep morale high)

morale changing pvp capabilities makes sense but its also a sort of anti-qol feature thats just not fun, i wouldnt want to be forced to head back to a town to boost crew morale

maybe you could add pvp features if actions such as sinking other ships and turning in treasure also increases morale but im sorta still iffy on morale effecting naval capabilities even if this is added

also loading/unloading shouldn’t be considered a passive, but an active ability it could be considered as

speaking of active abilities

what about them? we never really went in further depth

maybe certain active abilities only unlock with a certain amount of expertise in a profession?