Hopes for the Future Story for Arcane Odyssey

Oh dang, forgor, brain stopped braining. It wasnt Warlock actually-

According to Tech, he apparently didnt have magic at all before getting a Curse by PK, so there’s that. Idk how this still applies to the current lore, but it does confirm that they did plan to have a notable figure be a non-magic user. (It was in the Lore Encyclopedia trello)

If those made a difference he would have included them in this statement, wouldn’t he? If I’m reading the statement correctly, curse users and mages at their full potential will always be stronger than berserkers or warriors no matter what they use

Since warriors/berserkers are still using magic, the idea of a single person who’s freakishly strong and talented perfecting their skills beyond what anyone else imagined was possible isn’t that far fetched is it? wouldn’t it be the same as a mage being so talented they can compete with powerful curse users? Unless anything outside of just pure magic usage (mage) is that much inferior

I think that’s what vet is implying here

So we CAN get pure fighting style rulers, they just need to have some kind of overpowered sub ability like Freedrock.
Okay, got it.

Vetex said this in another thread

honestly, i’m kind of confused as to why he’d do that and NOT intend for it to be a self-insert type thing

The customization thing and the few story choices we have is mainly cause this is still a game. At the same time, it’s a story-focused game. Making the player character in the story a self-insert would pretty much limit what the story can actually do. Vetex and Tech wants to focus more on the story quality, so if making the player character an actual character rather than a self-insert benefits the story more, I’m sure they’re willing to do that.

I already had the suspicion that MC is no self-insert the moment I saw Vetex say that he was planning to make this whole story into a book series. That strongly implies that this MC is legible enough to be a protagonist in an actual book that anyone would read. Surely you wont add a self-insert type character there for your protag, right?

4 Likes

normally people do it by just making their mc really bland and kind of a loser but i get what you’re saying :+1:

1 Like

i stand corrected, tho is it more over from learning from AA and WOM? or were they also like the AO protag?

Ig more from WoM? But AA also in a sense. WoM was basically the reason why AO exists as it is now, especially with the story I think. Vetex came to realise that WoM, the way it was, wasnt going to benefit from the long term, as it was just meant to be an mmorpg with story only on the side.

He realised that he wasnt happy with the way it is, especially from story and its because of WoM’s story that he created the linear storyline in AO now. WoM had two storylines, and it dropped the quality of the story. They decided to stick with a linear story, and ig that’s where they also decided to make the MC their own character rather than purely the player’s choice, as it didnt work out well in WoM.

Since AO is also based off of AA as well, AA’s story was probs also the foundations for AO’s current story, but with some changes.

AA’s protag had very similar circumstances with AO MC. They also had amnesia, secretly powerful and at first just goes around helping people, eventually getting dragged into the story’s main conflict. But this guy was more of a blank slate as a character, and their origins are very vague/unrelevant. AO MC could be inspired or a new take of AA MC, expanding on what they could’ve done with that char.

So it’s a bit of both really? This is just how I see it

2 Likes

compared to every other character the mc does seem kinda bland ngl

MC doesn’t have dialogue and Roblox isn’t really a sophisticated enough engine to have character animations show much emotion in place of dialogue.

Mc does have dialogue though, it’s just very forgettable and basic

Are you talking about dialogue options? That’s not what makes a character not a silent protagonist, which is what the AO MC seems to be (Link would be the classic example of a silent protagonist, and in most games that have dialogue, he has options that indicate he’s speaking, or even direct words in the case of BOTW/TOTK).

The MC doesn’t say anything on their own, which would explain why they feel bland. They’re not showing all their character traits to make sure the player’s actions make sense no matter what.

I don’t get it. If they have dialogue options and all of them (though most of the time there is only 1) involve speaking, then aren’t they not a silent protagonist?

The MC does say things on their own

The dialogue options can sometimes serve as a look into AO MC’s mindset. Look at their dialogue options for when they first arrive at Redwake, two of the dialogue options when responding to why they’re in Redwake say “Uh, I dont know” and “I was told to come here”, which strongly aligns with what they say much later in the story where they said that they felt very lost after losing their memory.

Sometimes, the dialogue options reveal that this MC is quite… well, someone with hubris, lets just say. When a guard revealed that everyone now knows that they infiltrated Fort Talos, the only two dialogue options are literally taunts. “Try screaming for help then.” and “Sure, bring them all here, I can beat them on my own” (reminder that Morden legit told them they cannot defeat everyone on their own, lmao)

Even side quests hints at it when you look at dialogue options in Forest of Cerunno, the MC sounding weirdly confident about beating everyone there. It’s kinda a running theme actually, as early as Redwake where they fought the pirates after literally coming out of a near death escape, to offering to beat up the Frost Brigands.

The one time they didnt was actually at Shura’s fight, in which the objective was to escape lmao. Probs where it all started.

It makes sense though, given that the main story implied that all side quests, MC does them, as one part of the story requires you to visit a location only found through a side quest (the Ancient Hall). And a lot of the quests that exists are outright crazy (Like Maya’s Fortified Ship Sinking Quest)

It’s probs their biggest character flaw as well, and funnily enough, hubris is in fact, the fatal flaw of most greek heroes.

There’s also even subtler hints of their personality through actions instead like MC defying what Ren and Beringer told them to do, which was to escape and instead went looking for General Argos, which was probably out of spite. There’s also the part that MC literally straight up went to Ravenna Castello like Carina taunted them into doing (which again, hurbis). Its just very subtle, but they exist

5 Likes

That’s a gameplay abstraction to move a cutscene along.

And yeah, this is true, and direct dialogue would do a lot to cement your character traits, but that wouldn’t be good for a game where you make choices that affect the story in major ways.

And as I said above, the dialogue options can already do a decent amount of characterisation, just gotta pay attention to them. I probably do need to reread some dialogues to see what other stuff that I missed, Im only remembering some notable ones. And also pay attention to what MC is trying to do in the moment like quest objectives and how that contrasts to what people told them to do.

As far as I can see, they can be pretty defiant at times, not just following people’s orders all the time (and Im pretty sure the following stuff was just cause of their amnesia)

I remember there was some NPC Quest (from Frostmile and Ravenna I think), we had two dialogs to choose from when we talking with them,
“I can help you with that.” and “Pay me first then I help you.” or something similar like that. This makes me believe there is part of our MC does REALLY LIKE Galleon so much, I guess that is one of MC’s characteristics too LMAOOO

1 Like